Skip to main content

Just Call Me Mountain Woman

This morning I killed my fourth wasp nest on my front deck this season.  I can remember the old days when I would flinch at pulling the heavy garbage can to the front driveway or when I would lug heavy hoses to water the property.  I've come a long way.  Just call me Mountain Woman.  I'm stronger and braver.  I have to be.


The human spirit rises up to do what it has to do when no one else is around to carry the load.  It's been five weeks now since my husband, Tom, passed away.  He put up a good fight, but Pancreatic Cancer is aggressive and stole the very life from my large framed, muscle-bulging man.  It broke my heart to see him in pain and lose every ounce of fat on his bones.  I am relieved he no longer suffers and know by the peace which ushered him off into eternity that he reached his heavenly destination.



He hated to leave us, especially me, because the responsibility of our homestead requires muscle power.  Although it overwhelms me at times, I am surprised how new-found strength arises within and helps me make wise decisions to carry out the endless daily chores.  Oddly, when I can't figure it out, the answer seems a prayer away.


So many things amaze me:  the overflow of cards and gifts I receive at the post office, the texts and calls from friends and family with offers to help.  I know I am loved.


So much is new these days.  I feel bold every time I reach for the Raid Wasp and Hornet Hot Shot can.  Another nest falls to the ground.  I'm tackling things I never knew I could do and I'm making very good business decisions.  I have been through the ringer as a caretaker and now I glean new understanding of loss as well as what its like to live by myself. 


Life goes on and a new path awaits.  I don't know what it will look like, but I am choosing joy in the journey.  

 

Comments

  1. My dear, sweet friend, my heart goes out to you so very much, and I am praying for you. May the God of all comfort wrap His loving arms around you and hold you so close to His heart. I love and appreciate you and your friendship. You are such a dear blessing to our Bible study and I am eternally grateful for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl, you've been there for me through thick and thin. I love studying with you and the ladies. Your wisdom is as important as the studies themselves! Prayers for you, fearless leader. Thank you for all you do for us.

      Delete
  2. Love the new look sister Mary!!! How fitting to call you the "Mountain Woman!" I read it as Zion Woman 🙂 Only when we see things through the Lord's eyes that our perspective truly turn 180 degrees from what this place would want us to feel & choose the way we live. Standing on the Rock, you're truly a mountain woman who chooses to overcome because you have tasted the Lord's goodness! I know you must miss bro Tom immensely(these words don't even describe what i mean as I'm at a loss for words having the privilege to get to know your deep love & adoration for each other & knowing your hearts, your guys' love for the Lord & your family)... but I'm celebrating with you that you're choosing joy to overcome such difficult circumstances. Keeping you in my prayers sister "mountain woman" because i know the more we need to pray incessantly. That's one of His will for us in Christ Jesus. Thanks be to God for providing comfort, strength, and I pray that the void in your heart in the shape of bro Tom is truly not empty but always is filled with his love especially that of the Spirit.

    "Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think. "- Ephesians 3:20

    Stay strong in the Lord's mighty power! Love & 🙏 always sister!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to read this comment every day! Thank you for being at my side through one of the hardest times in my life. I love you, Rosel.

      Delete
  3. Wouldn't Tom be so proud of his Mountain Woman? Yes, the strength you need is but a prayer away. You've been on my mind, dear Mary ... thank you for this update; and I hope you'll continue writing -- as/when you feel led.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for thinking of me, Myra. I have stories to tell. I want to write and can't think of a better place than where my friends gather.

      Delete
  4. Sorry for your loss! May God strenghten you in this period of grief and need for help and comfort!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet Mary, you have surely been covered in many prayers that have been laced with lots of love. Your beloved Tom would be so proud of you. I can only imagine how you are feeling but my heart grieves for your loss. Finding joy in this next journey of life is like music to my ears. We both know that our true joy only comes from Jesus. I so enjoying being in a Bible Study class with you online. Praying for you dear friend. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love studying with you, Cindy! I feel blessed by your friendship and prayers.

      Delete
  6. I am so sorry to hear this! You have my deepest condolences.

    You have many who care for you, plus newfound strength to do the physical things and make business decisions, not to mention your strong faith. It is comforting to hear how you talk about everything that has happened. God bless you and keep you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandi. I am blessed with a lot of support and thankful. My story needs to get out there because God really does show up in our trials!

      Delete
  7. It must be so sad, Mary, to have lost your lovely husband, I can not imagine being without mine. The only comfort we have is that in the Lord we will join our loved ones when we leave this world. I have had a near death experience and can say that the place I was taken to has not comparison regarding beauty and love anywhere on this earth. The Lord is our strength and help in our times of need, and I pray that you will find comfort in Him as you go through these very sad times. God bless you Mary with all He has for us in Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your experience, Brenda! So comforting.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

Grandparent's Day!

So here it is, the first Sunday after Labor Day or as I refer to it, Grandparent's Day! I arrived in Tucson a week ago.  Twelve year old Amy and excitable Jasper greeted me at the front door.  Smiley Amy looked so happy.  Then she said:  "I'm happy you are here.  Her sister, Susanna, stood next in the greeting line with big hugs.  It's been eight months since I've seen them.  My, they grow so fast. Susanna is a senior this year.  I love hearing about the colleges she visited during summer and the ones she hopes to apply for this fall.  Her mom and I have been watching Downtown Abbey with her, and of course, enjoying late evening tea with the actors in the movie. Amy continues to rock math.  This year, she's been chosen to be her teacher's assistant.  She is very responsible and the one I ask to help at the house when her parents travel.  Amy plays worship music for her dog, Star, who is recovering from Valley Fever.  It wo...