Skip to main content

Singing to My Sister


How many of you are the middle child? I have 2 brothers, one older and one younger. My sister is the eldest. She is celebrating her birthday next week and I will be in Illinois, visiting her, and helping her eat her birthday cake! I’m so thankful God gave me a sister:

We shared a bedroom together growing up; we rarely shared our clothes.
Every Christmas holiday, we spent hours decorating pretty cookies.
To this day, we still love to thrift-store shop.
We both grow petunias and hollyhocks just like our grandmother!
We took vacations together with our husbands to Florida and California.
We love old movies, romance, Victorian clothing and Victoria Magazine!
Happy birthday, Sis! I love you and will soon be there to give you lots of hugs!






Sisters
She is your mirror, shining back at you with a world of possibilities.
She is your witness, who sees you at your worst and best, and loves you anyway.
She is your partner in crime; your midnight companion someone who knows when you are smiling, even in the dark.
She is your teacher, your defense attorney, your personal press agent, even your shrink.
Some days, she’s the reason you wish you were an only child.
Barbara Alpert

Comments

  1. What a beautiful post for your sister's birthday....Blessings to her this special day...Thanks for sharing your sister with us, especially to one that never had a physical sister..Sure glad though, I can call you my sister in the Lord..that is AWESOME!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful sharing about your sister and Happy Birthday in advance to her. You are both beautiful.

    I did not have sisters growing up. I had 3 brothers so I missed those sister to sister times. I'm sure they are to be treasured.

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an amazing post to remember your sweet sister. She is beautiful like you. My oldest sister[the 1st one among 7 of us], passed away before I was born, so I didn't really have a chance to grow up with a sister.
    But God blessed me to know a lot of sisters in His family, and you're one of them and I'm so forever grateful!
    Praying for a wonderful time and a safe trip right now for you and your sister. Don't forget to bring some cake back..."Just not too big" so I won't get so hyper [remember that Mother's Day cake?].
    Love you sister Mary. Thank you for always visiting me because when you don't I'll bug you..Just kidding. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sisters are precious indeed. I know I treasure my sister and always enjoy the time we spend together.

    Have a wonderful visit with your sister, remembering old memories and making new ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How very blessed you are My Sweet Friend!!! I always wanted a sister, I have 4(count em) brothers. Don't get me wrong I love them all, but there is nothing like a sister!!
    My sweet little girls are so blessed to have each other!!
    Give your sister my best, and wish her a very Happy Birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so sweet. What a beautiful post and I am sure your sister is honored. Have a wonderful and safe trip. Enjoy your time together. There is nothing like having a "sis"...love and prayers,andrea

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday to your dear sister. What a blessing to have such a companion in her.

    You will have such a wonderful trip and create many new memories together as you visit.

    I have one sister and we are also close. I thank God for her.

    Many blessings,

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  8. What's the good of news if you haven't a sister to share it? ~Jenny DeVries

    Just want to say Happy Bday to your special sis! I love that quote above. It can also mean something spiritual...God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How wonderful that you and your sister are so close like that!! It is a blessing for sure:)) I have visited the canyon and loved it. We went back a second time with my daughter when she was 12, and she looked at it and then asked where are some malls!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

Grandparent's Day!

So here it is, the first Sunday after Labor Day or as I refer to it, Grandparent's Day! I arrived in Tucson a week ago.  Twelve year old Amy and excitable Jasper greeted me at the front door.  Smiley Amy looked so happy.  Then she said:  "I'm happy you are here.  Her sister, Susanna, stood next in the greeting line with big hugs.  It's been eight months since I've seen them.  My, they grow so fast. Susanna is a senior this year.  I love hearing about the colleges she visited during summer and the ones she hopes to apply for this fall.  Her mom and I have been watching Downtown Abbey with her, and of course, enjoying late evening tea with the actors in the movie. Amy continues to rock math.  This year, she's been chosen to be her teacher's assistant.  She is very responsible and the one I ask to help at the house when her parents travel.  Amy plays worship music for her dog, Star, who is recovering from Valley Fever.  It wo...