Skip to main content

World Changing Women

It felt great to get out of the house today.  Amy reminded me our close friend, Gwen, turns another year older this week and we need to celebrate.

 I hunted in my stash for the perfect card to drop into the bag of gifts for the birthday girl.  I found a funny one with gawky women, arms around each other, typical girlfriends celebrating together!  I placed it in the cute shopping bag with items Amy collected because no one knows Gwen like Amy.  We gathered the home-baked chocolate chip cookies we made with fresh pecans and Carmel-filled chocolates which we added to the cookie dough for richness and decadence and placed them in a decorative red tin.  perfect mid-seventy, sunny spring day counter-balanced with cool breezes heightened our mood as we drove to Sedona where Gwen lives. I balanced that shiny bright red cookie tin on my lap protecting it like it was filled with bars of gold.   

It took Gwen what seemed like forever to dig into her gift bag.  She meticulously lifted out colorful tissue-wrapped items such as handmade soaps Amy designed using a variety of her essential oils.  Hard candies of any kind put a smile on Gwen’s face and we tossed in a giant-sized Hershey bar, too, for those pick-me-up moments.  My favorite, a cute little pot with a daisy flower, danced happily to solar light when placed by the window.  Gwen carried the shiny red tin to the kitchen table where we munched on cookies with gusto and girlfriend giggles while we shared stories together.  We women and our stories!  

This is where my story gets interesting. 

Gwen and I work out together or should I say “use to” before she lost Jack at Christmas.  Now she fills her days with tying the loose ends of his business, traveling, and, of course, mourning.   Then I went in for surgery for my foot.  We will get back in the groove soon and motivate each other to good health.  But for now, we’re sedentary in our quiet spaces. 

Have you ever heard of Dress a Girl around the World?  Gwen likes to sew and retrieved a box with seventeen dresses of bright colors and sizes she’s been working on for the Sedona chapter of the organization.  During our visit, she got a call from this group to confirm a pickup of sewn dresses and a drop off of more fabric.  I reached into my purse and got my phone to photograph her handiwork before it went out for its purpose, to bless little girls.







The motto of this group believes every girl deserves at least one dress.  The mission started with two women and an idea.  One had an abundance of pillow cases and the other traveled to Uganda.  Today, this dress project reaches into 81 countries.  Dresses are sewn to a specific pattern with a label sewn into the front of the dress with hopes to deter child sex traffic.




Amy placed Gwen’s box of dresses on the dining room table and we ladies gathered in prayer.  “Lord, thank you for Gwen’s passion to sew these dresses and we ask that when each girl wears them, she will feel pretty, your love, your protection and feel cloaked in your safety.  We are heavy hearted and give you our burden for victims of child sex trafficking.  Expose this evil and apprehend the violators who cause such pain.  Send your angels to heal these little girls, body soul and spirit, and fill them with the joy of your salvation.  Thank you for hearing our prayer.”

I opened my eyes to Gwen’s tears.  We all had a good cry, hugged each other tightly and basked in the love God gives girlfriends who do life together.  These are the refreshing times which carry us back into our homes and offices; pick us up where we left off in our resolve to be world changers.  God establishes our steps to make a difference in this world whether we struggle in our bodies or mourn our losses.  Sometimes all we need is an idea. 



If you are interested in learning more about Dress a Girl around the World, you can research details here


Comments

  1. Happy belated Birthday to Gwen!
    'Dress a girl around the world' sounds like a great project!
    The items sewn by Gwen in the displayed pictures, are just adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good project. I love the dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a super initiative! I felt drawn to echo your prayer aloud just now.
    Plus, I've just resolved to take a page from you. I need to begin collecting an assortment of greeting cards so I'm never caught short-sighted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. God bless you ladies who supply those cute dresses to little girls and you are so right, every girl deserves a pretty dress. This post blessed me. Wish you lived near me, I would join you. I started a bible study called, New To The Neighbor a few months ago because I was feeling like a flower that lost its bloom. Our move to northern Mn last May along with having covid that did a number on my one kidney that still works and a few other old age ailments I have not felt well. I prayed and ask around for an existing bible study, of course non were going on. and the more i prayed , the more the Lord kept impressing it on me to start one. Well being new up here and with the covid fears I really did not think anyone would come. But, there are seven women coming to enjoy the freedom of being together again. My heart is starting to bloom and every week it blooms more as we are in the book of Hebrews. your story encouraging me again I did the God thing starting a bible study. Blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What precious time together & thank you for sharing a special God given talent that blesses hurting little ones. God bless sister Gwen & those who make time to create those dresses. Friendship like yours aren't easy to find nowadays. I could feel the special bond you all share that only comes from knowing God's love & grace. And because of Him, we can all overcome evil by never tiring to do good! God bless & strengthen you all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mary,
    what a lovely talent Gwen has been gifted with, and I say a big 'AMEN' to your prayer. God uses the perfect ones to do what He calls them to do, and I can tell just by your few words in your post that Gwen is passionate about what she has been called to do. God bless you with all He has for us in Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a precious post about friends. Just made me smile! Happy belated birthday to Gwen. What a precious mission field to be a part of with making those cute little dresses. And I too want to AMEN that sweet prayer. Lord uncover the evil before it happens and please protect these girls! I hope that your foot is healing nicely dear lady. Hugs and blessings to you. Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, what a sweet post! Gwen sounds like such a special lady. And, of course you and Amy are so special, too! God bless all of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy mother's day to one of the best moms in this world!!! God bless, heal, strengthen & protect you always sister Mary! Love & 🙏

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty ladies and a beautiful initiative. Sending you hugs and love.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Because He Lives, I Can Move

I’m currently in one of those places where you lay out all the options and then you make the best decision. It seems, however, like none of the choices are fair or attractive. I know God will help me in my situation because I desire His guidance. I’m clinging to His Word which promises that ALL things work together for good for those that love God and are called according to His purpose, Romans 8:28. I heard a great teaching this week about seeking God’s will and all the freedom that surrender brings. We can know that God is bringing about a victory if we trust Him with each and every decision. The speaker illustrated his point with a famous painting. The painting depicts a look of despair on the chess player’s face. He’s playing Satan and his soul is at stake. It looks like Satan is winning. Checkmate! When Paul Morphy saw this painting back in the 1800’s, he set up a chess board and aligned the pieces to reflect the painting. Being a world champion, he studied the board. His conclusi

Humor for the Bride and Groom

A young couple decided to wed.  As the big day approached, they grew apprehensive.  Each had a problem they had never before shared with anyone, not even each other. The Groom-to-be, overcoming his fear, decided to ask his father for advice.   "Father," he said, "I am deeply concerned about the success of my marriage."  His father replied, "Don't you love this girl?"   "Oh yes, very much," he said," but you see, I have very smelly feet, and I'm afraid that my fiancé will be put off by them."  "No problem," said dad, "all you have to do is wash your feet as often as possible, and always wear socks, even to bed."   Well, to him this seemed a workable solution. The bride-to-be, overcoming her fear, decided to take her problem up with her mom."  Mom," she said, "When I wake up in the morning my breath is truly awful."  "Honey," her mother consoled, "everyone has

A Veteran's Story

  I noticed Bill sitting in our local park where I walk.   He glanced my way just as I finished the last exercise walk song on my playlist.   He shouted and pointed to my car:   “Hey, is that your car with the Nam front license plate?   I stepped closer into the veranda where Bill sat on a picnic bench.   I noticed his Vietnam Vet cap and instantly I knew why I walked there that day.   The Marine Vet served during the 1960’s, the same time span as my husband.   Bill talked a lot about the war evoking my emotions from laughter to tears.   My South Vietnam front plate often prompts a conversation with a stranger and I’ve learned a deep respect for it over the years.   It is my way of listening to a veteran.   I enjoyed listening to Bill.   He made me laugh in spots but he made me cry as well.   Like when he talked about the sandwich lady.   “Do you ever eat at the sandwich shop in the gas station down the street?”   I replied that I’ve order coffee once in that place with a turke