Skip to main content

The Second Toe Shall Be First







How can one small toe cause so much havoc and turn one’s life upside down?  The hospital Emergency Room scrambled to alert the surgeon and his staff about my husband’s infected toe, the one next to the big toe.  How far had the ugly infection spread?  The surgeon said he would amputate and keep going to get all the infected bone.  Thankfully, he only removed one-half inch of the toe.  These last two weeks have come with a whirlwind!


Thankful for so much!

I am thankful Tom finally listened and stopped fighting me to go to his primary care doctor.  Men!  I’m glad his primary care chewed him out for waiting when he saw his toe looked infected.

I am thankful for the wonderful healthcare he received during six days in the hospital and for loving daughters who came along side us to help and encourage.



The first hospital night felt like Tom won a week’s vacation stay at a one-star hotel to hear him describe it.  Even with two blankets, he froze.  Awful food.  I learned the place picked up quite a few COVID patients challenging the busy staff.  Hospital COVID rules denied me entrance.  I stayed home and pounded on heaven’s doors for my man who felt forgotten.  God heard and answered my prayers for Tom quickly the next morning.  I’m still laughing.



God Can Use a Zombie

A new nurse introduced herself and happened to be a huge fan of the popular Zombie series Tom watches.  They bonded.  Tom pulled out his phone and showed her a photo of his close friend with a famous cast member from the series, her son.  As Tom tells it, “They treated me like I was a king after that.”

God can use a Zombie.

Tom’s bacterial infection has a long name with lots of I’s and t’s.  It is rare; twenty five people in a million catch it in their lifetime.  Though antibiotics do nothing for it, there is one that kills it and that one is available at our hospital.  The surgeon believes he got all the infection in surgery, but now for prevention, the doctor prescribed the killer antibiotic.  Thankfully, he does not have to stay in the hospital to be on this medicine via a drip method with a picc line to his heart.  When he came home, a nurse came to teach me how to administer this antibiotic and care for him. 

Our days are filled with lab blood work, hospital wound care visits, podiatrist, and environmentalist/disease doctors.  Next week is D-Day When the drip will end and be replaced with pill form.  Thankfully, my energy sustains me and I am able to do all the watering outside and keep up with cooking nutritious home-cooked meals, grocery shop and drive him to appointments.  Tom and I are thankful, so very thankful!  We avoided a disaster and know it.


What Have I Learned?

Where would I be without girlfriends?  I appreciate every call, every prayer, every text and email.  My on-line friends came alongside us in a powerful way praying with support.  I am filled with peace and courage.  Tom knows he is in the Lord’s capable hands.

We marvel at the fact that a toe, insignificant as it seems compared to much larger parts of our body, can raise so much disruption.  It reminds us how every part of the body is valuable.  So when the days of normal every-day living return, be it keeping up with home/family/friends or watching a good movie together, may we never forget this toe journey realizing how valuable we all are to God.  And may we never forget how valuable others are to us.

Comments

  1. Sounds serious!
    I had an infected toe once after having been at the chiropodist. (It was a posh, expensive salon, but after that I never went back to any chiropodist. I do the feet work myself).
    Thank God, I've managed to treat the infection at home, but it took time and effort.
    Wishing Tom a perfect recovery!
    Best wishes to you all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never miss taking vitamins these days, Duta! Need lots of energy to keep up with it all!

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness what an adventure! But our Lord is so gracious to walk with us through the adventures of our lives. I'll be praying a quick recovery for your Tom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my word, Mary … I had no idea! Does Tom know how/where it was first injured? Love your sense of humor - A 1-star hotel, then God can use a Zombie. Pretty sure Mr. God's chuckling at that. Praying for a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know we can't be in fear and be thankful, a choice, so I'm thanking God for everything and enjoying each day.

      Delete
  4. Goodness, what a difficult time this was for you! So thankful that the infection could be treated with lesser interventions! Thanking the LORD! Praying He continues to bless you both on this road to recovery. It is amazing how something so small can cause such a problem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marilyn, for those prayers. We feel them.

      Delete
  5. Oh my mercy! GIRL! Bless his heart and yours! I am so sorry to hear about this dreadful infection but praising the Lord that he went on to have this taken care of before it got past restoration. MEN...you are right!!!! Don't even get me started. LOL! I will pray for total healing and so thankful that we serve a God that does indeed hear our prayers. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No fun growing older, Cindy. Haha. Thank you, dear one, for your valuable gift of prayers.

      Delete
  6. I laugh at the way you shared the hospitalization story by bro. Tom being confined in the hospital that felt like a "one star" hotel :) Glad that he listened to you to see the doctor. He must have a high tolerance to pain to not want to see the doctor. Then again, you said it... "men!!!: :) Just kidding.

    I'm that way, too. Not wanting to see 'til there's a red flag. It's hard to trust especially nowadays with the advices being given to the public regarding this Coronavirus. And I could feel how hard it must be for both of you to not be with him during the hospitalization. Thanks be to God for the peace and joy He gives to the hearts of those who believe.

    You're always in my prayer but especially now, I just did for his quick recovery and no complications from the treatments. For the Lord to always strengthen you both and of course, the whole family because you also have very supportive and loving daughters. Thank You God for turning around everything into good for those who love You, who are called according to Your purpose... (Even "zombie!"). Love and prayers and hugs to you sister Mary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosel, I know you pray for us as we do for you & yours as we have been aligned beautiful over a decade now. Your counsel is so appreciated and under girding at this time! Can't thank you enough.

      Delete
  7. Dear Mary! Bless your dear hearts! I am SO thankful God heard the many prayers on your dear Tom's behalf! He is a faithful God. You know where my mind was going when you talked about how such a small member of the body can wreak such havoc. One small, undealt-with sin can infect not only our lives but the lives of all who dearly love us. Like the Bible says "Lest a root of bitterness springing up trouble you and many be defiled." A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump! Okay, I'll stop preaching now! LOL! But, SOOOO thankful things are going better for you dear ones, and I will surely continue to pray.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your truthful preaching, Cheryl. Your friendship is golden! Thank you for being there for us.

      Delete
  8. Hi Mary,
    that was so awful to hear about your husband's infected toe, and his first night in the hospital. Praise the Lord that after his sharing about the 'Zombie' thing his treatment improved there. What comes to my mind as I think about your husband's circumstance, and his waiting upon his healing, is Jeremiah ch. 29 v. 11 where God says that His plans are for our welfare and not for harm, so I pray this for your husband, and that a speedy recovery will come about. God bless you and all your family with what the Lord has in store for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Jeremiah verse is a powerful way to pray. Thank you for your input but thank you for your powerful prayers, Brenda!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Because He Lives, I Can Move

I’m currently in one of those places where you lay out all the options and then you make the best decision. It seems, however, like none of the choices are fair or attractive. I know God will help me in my situation because I desire His guidance. I’m clinging to His Word which promises that ALL things work together for good for those that love God and are called according to His purpose, Romans 8:28. I heard a great teaching this week about seeking God’s will and all the freedom that surrender brings. We can know that God is bringing about a victory if we trust Him with each and every decision. The speaker illustrated his point with a famous painting. The painting depicts a look of despair on the chess player’s face. He’s playing Satan and his soul is at stake. It looks like Satan is winning. Checkmate! When Paul Morphy saw this painting back in the 1800’s, he set up a chess board and aligned the pieces to reflect the painting. Being a world champion, he studied the board. His conclusi

Humor for the Bride and Groom

A young couple decided to wed.  As the big day approached, they grew apprehensive.  Each had a problem they had never before shared with anyone, not even each other. The Groom-to-be, overcoming his fear, decided to ask his father for advice.   "Father," he said, "I am deeply concerned about the success of my marriage."  His father replied, "Don't you love this girl?"   "Oh yes, very much," he said," but you see, I have very smelly feet, and I'm afraid that my fiancé will be put off by them."  "No problem," said dad, "all you have to do is wash your feet as often as possible, and always wear socks, even to bed."   Well, to him this seemed a workable solution. The bride-to-be, overcoming her fear, decided to take her problem up with her mom."  Mom," she said, "When I wake up in the morning my breath is truly awful."  "Honey," her mother consoled, "everyone has

A Veteran's Story

  I noticed Bill sitting in our local park where I walk.   He glanced my way just as I finished the last exercise walk song on my playlist.   He shouted and pointed to my car:   “Hey, is that your car with the Nam front license plate?   I stepped closer into the veranda where Bill sat on a picnic bench.   I noticed his Vietnam Vet cap and instantly I knew why I walked there that day.   The Marine Vet served during the 1960’s, the same time span as my husband.   Bill talked a lot about the war evoking my emotions from laughter to tears.   My South Vietnam front plate often prompts a conversation with a stranger and I’ve learned a deep respect for it over the years.   It is my way of listening to a veteran.   I enjoyed listening to Bill.   He made me laugh in spots but he made me cry as well.   Like when he talked about the sandwich lady.   “Do you ever eat at the sandwich shop in the gas station down the street?”   I replied that I’ve order coffee once in that place with a turke