Skip to main content

When God Turned My Story Upside Down




It must be the season of Purim because God turned my story upside down just like He did for Esther in the Old Testament.  Esther, the beautiful Jewish queen, stood in the gap for her people when the mean bad guy, Haman, tried to annihilate the Jewish people by building tall gallows with which to hang them.  But God intervened!  He turned the story upside down when Haman ended up on those gallows.  I like feel-good stories where justice prevails.

Here’s What Happened to Me

I knew it was a test when the eye drops were delayed.  My husband’s second eye surgery date arrived and he needed a prescription for steroid eye drops to take for ten days.  A few days before his surgery, he asked his primary VA doctor if they were ordered and was told they are on the way.  We decided to pray, trust God and commit this delay to him.  We vowed to help each other stay stress free, but what if they don’t arrive in time? 

The eye drops are expensive.  We guessed our co-pay amount at $40.  The eye doctor explained these drops prevent the eye from swelling.

Tom’s surgery went very well, but the eye drops never arrived.  The eye doctor gave us a sample.

Tom made me proud.  He calmly called the VA several times triumphing through their automated system and finally connected to a human who listened.  The VA gave us instructions and it all sounded so easy, but it turned icky.  We felt like we were in a maze driving to the pharmacy and then back to the doctor who sent us back to the pharmacy.  Finally, the authorization arrived and to our dismay, we learned the pharmacy was out of stock for those drops.  

After all that rigmarole, we sat in the parking lot and wondered what to do.  We started to complain feeling veterans once again get the shaft in our country when Illegal’s can climb the fence to get in with hands out for free benefits.  We instantly knew the stinking thinking won’t help.  So we  prayed instead.    We felt peaceful leaving it all in God’s capable hands. 


There’s Nothing Like Shopping to Lift One’s Spirits

We decided to stay in town and shop.   On the way back home, we stopped at the pharmacy one more time to ask when they expected a shipment of the drops.  I will never forget the smile on Tom’s face when they handed him a prescription of the eye drops, but in generic form.  Our co-pay came to only $8.  Relief!

I said: “This is a test of our faith!”  I think we passed it, too.

2020, the Year of New Vision

That’s how God turned our story upside down.   I wondered if the year 2020 would teach us how to see things more clearly.  This I know:  that which is sent to us for fear and panic can turn around for good when we get God involved.  Oh, to trust Him in all things!

Comments

  1. That's a beautiful story! 'All's well that ends well' - and the eyedrops issue ended very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! He's healing nicely and calmly now that he has his drops.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful testimony! I don't know that my Tom would be so level-headed. Those of us bound to the V.A. can sure identify.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if the original brand was made in China. They stopped everything for a while. My contacts are on backorder. I don't know if they are made there, just wondering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I asked the same question! We don't know the answer.

      Delete
  4. Great to hear your encouraging testimony ! Your faith triumphed !!! And God turned it around for blessing and healing!!! Praise God!! Look forward to the year of new vision and as things are being turned around even now as we trust in Him all things both on a personal and "corporate" level !! Blessings and Love!!💖

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have many months ahead to see God manifest in our faith!

      Delete
  5. LOVE this story of how God worked! Praise the Lord and thank you for the precious reminder that God is in control of all things...eye drops and all. Hugs and blessings to you sweet one. Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your story of faith and trust in God's timing is a great lesson also for us who come here and to keep it in mind to do so in this faith testing season of viruses. Fear just doesn't help let alone to panic. I always picture a balance during time of testing. That if worries go higher the other scale of faith goes down and that's not good! Looking back, I have learned to trust God in everything because He made it known that He truly is faithful and is always with us no matter what as He promised.
    As a vet's wife, I can also feel your frustrations when it comes to the healthcare part. It truly tests our spirits most of the time that it's just easier to say something bad or do something mean. Yet, thanks be to God, He always reminds us that's not a pleasing way of approach. True enough, He makes things happen anyway. Just not the time that we expect!
    So glad bro. Tom got his meds and that praying for his continued healing same for your guys' strength! God bless and always keeping you in prayers. Love to you sister Mary. Thank you for lifting up my faith!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You lift up mine! Praying for you and yours too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love reading those little God moments. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello sister in the Lord (Sales Lady). I am a Pastor from Mumbai India the other corner of the world probably never dreamt that there would a reader of your blog post from other corner of the world but this is unique how God can bring His people in friendship with the cord of love. I am so encouraged by your story when God involves how He trun things around but trust in the Lord is also more important which in your case is so vivid. I am glad to stop by your profile on the blogger and the blog post as well as also I am blessed and feel privileged and honoured to get connected with you as well as know you as a woman of prayer who has her interest in seeing our intersessory prayers being heard by the Lord and people are being healing and the broken are restored. I love to get connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged strengthened and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 40 yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the pooeest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Chris to bring healing to the brokenehearted. We also encourage young andthe adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have young people from your family, friends or church circle come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. I am sure they will have a life changing experience. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you your family and friends also wishing you and your family a blessed and a Christ centered rest of the rest of the New year 2020. My email id is:dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is diwakar Diwakar Wankhede. Since I seldomly revist the blog post I would love to hear you via my email id.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Because He Lives, I Can Move

I’m currently in one of those places where you lay out all the options and then you make the best decision. It seems, however, like none of the choices are fair or attractive. I know God will help me in my situation because I desire His guidance. I’m clinging to His Word which promises that ALL things work together for good for those that love God and are called according to His purpose, Romans 8:28. I heard a great teaching this week about seeking God’s will and all the freedom that surrender brings. We can know that God is bringing about a victory if we trust Him with each and every decision. The speaker illustrated his point with a famous painting. The painting depicts a look of despair on the chess player’s face. He’s playing Satan and his soul is at stake. It looks like Satan is winning. Checkmate! When Paul Morphy saw this painting back in the 1800’s, he set up a chess board and aligned the pieces to reflect the painting. Being a world champion, he studied the board. His conclusi

Humor for the Bride and Groom

A young couple decided to wed.  As the big day approached, they grew apprehensive.  Each had a problem they had never before shared with anyone, not even each other. The Groom-to-be, overcoming his fear, decided to ask his father for advice.   "Father," he said, "I am deeply concerned about the success of my marriage."  His father replied, "Don't you love this girl?"   "Oh yes, very much," he said," but you see, I have very smelly feet, and I'm afraid that my fiancé will be put off by them."  "No problem," said dad, "all you have to do is wash your feet as often as possible, and always wear socks, even to bed."   Well, to him this seemed a workable solution. The bride-to-be, overcoming her fear, decided to take her problem up with her mom."  Mom," she said, "When I wake up in the morning my breath is truly awful."  "Honey," her mother consoled, "everyone has

A Veteran's Story

  I noticed Bill sitting in our local park where I walk.   He glanced my way just as I finished the last exercise walk song on my playlist.   He shouted and pointed to my car:   “Hey, is that your car with the Nam front license plate?   I stepped closer into the veranda where Bill sat on a picnic bench.   I noticed his Vietnam Vet cap and instantly I knew why I walked there that day.   The Marine Vet served during the 1960’s, the same time span as my husband.   Bill talked a lot about the war evoking my emotions from laughter to tears.   My South Vietnam front plate often prompts a conversation with a stranger and I’ve learned a deep respect for it over the years.   It is my way of listening to a veteran.   I enjoyed listening to Bill.   He made me laugh in spots but he made me cry as well.   Like when he talked about the sandwich lady.   “Do you ever eat at the sandwich shop in the gas station down the street?”   I replied that I’ve order coffee once in that place with a turke