Skip to main content

Family Moments



My mind went back and forth as I debated about the finishing touches in my guest room.  Should I line the dresser or night stand with framed photos of romantic memories of the two of them like I’ve always done or should I leave the space empty with more room to settle in after unpacking?  After polishing the desk, I placed a mini album on it, off to one side.  At will, he could pick it up and breeze through countless photos of family, mostly of my sister posing with her kids, family members, and friends.


My brother-in-law, Eduardo, spent a week in our home earlier this month marking just shy of a year since my sister passed away.  He still lives in their Chicago home and tries hard to cover up his emptiness but his blue eyes portray a river of sadness.  He misses her like crazy.  I worried that being here with me might cause more grief.  She was my sister, in fact, and we bear similarities.  Oh how he easily speaks of them too!  To my surprise, it turned out to be more positive than negative.  I worried for nothing.


The Kids Stepped Up

His visit turned into a family reunion that week.  My girls and their families came through, once again, to honor their uncle and our family ties.  We assembled in our home and we all gained close to ten pounds cooking together as well as going out to eat!  









Eduardo, born in Bari, Italy, came to the USA in his teen years.  He loves to cook.  I took full advantage of his creative art skills in my kitchen.  We lapped up trays of his Bruschetta appetizer as soon as it came out of the oven.  



I always ask him to prepare Pasta Fagioli when he visits.  This time I bought Italian tomatoes and everyone applauded.  One night my daughter planned a dinner party for her co-workers which Ed catered with enough of the chicken and pasta main entrée left over for us the next day.  I treasured him by my side at my island chopping, stirring and presenting food with so much love!

It took an Italian marrying into our family to free us up to hug and kiss each other more often.  Affectionate little Amy puckered up in no time for her grand uncle and he got the biggest kick out of that!  To be like a child, what a goal! 




We achieved balance of eating with a hike in Sedona for exercise.





The Painted Desert and the City of Page

I have lived in central Arizona for over 25 years and never traveled to Lake Powell, the popular recreational canyon lake where many hike, fish, swim and kayak.  We took a day trip north to the famous attraction that borders on the state of Utah.   We chose a boat tour on the Colorado River and explored beautiful rock formations.   We inhaled monumental beauty of the Painted Desert, glorious beaches, a marina and a sunset that took our breath away.
























What a week to love and enjoy family and soak in beauty all around us!  My heart is full. 

Family is not an important thing
It’s everything!
Michael J. Fox

Comments

  1. What a special time! I'm sure it was healing for him to spend that time with all of you.
    He sounds like a marvelous cook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Italians are very creative, and a great human addition to any family!
    It looks like you know how to make the best of life, enjoying family reunions, good food, nature explorations.
    Wonderful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to have to get up to that area; it looks beautiful! I'm glad you all were able to spend such special time with your brother-in-law; I bet everyone benefited from his visit in more ways than one!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, what sweet memories you made! I can only imagine how sad it was for you to see Ed without your sister. While you were worrying about how it would make him feel to see you and notice the similarities, etc., I imagine your heart was breaking thinking of him coming to visit alone. It is wonderful that you all were able to spend such happy times together. May God be near to comfort you in each moment of grief and missing your sister. Sending hugs your way, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That bruschetta is making my mouth water! I'm so glad your BIL was able to join hearts with you all; perhaps this reunion will turn out to be an annual event? Lil' Amy gets cuter with every post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a lovely reunion with your BIL sister Mary. I think we're all on the same boat that sometimes, we let "worries" take over with anything planned. But we all know better, it has no purpose but to ruin God's plans. But in that situation, I see you as a very thoughtful SIL who just wanted the best for your BIL's stay. All the pics and your stories proved how awesome it was! Who can resist Italian food??? All I could think off was that I'm happy that you were able to get stronger knees and be able to do all those things with your loving family. In God's perfect time! I also wanna thank you for praying always for me and my family, especially for my son who my husband and I are truly blessed with, with his love and faith for the Lord. I can't ask for anything more. Praying also for you sister. I know it's vital for our journeys and so glad we're walking on this difficult trek together...God bless you all and protect you guys!!! Love to you always.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet time the Lord blessed you with. How hard that must have been, but yet what a precious way to remember the life of your sister, by sharing family time together. And, your activity level is such an encouragement to me as my husband is persevering through his knee replacement rehab now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awe, I love the pictures of your wonderful family. How precious that your BIL loves you all so much and he you all as well. I cannot imagine his sadness nor do I hope I ever have too. Only God can carry us through such sadness I know. I am quite sure you all enjoyed his cooking skills. I know I would have. Hugs and blessings to you dear Mary.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for your post with wonderful photos. Love it. What an amazing family and area and tasty Bruschetta.I love to read about it. How nice to see YOU on th epics surrounded by your love ones. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. This just pretty amazing! love that you spent your week well wth familia and that beautiful rock formations! O Lord, Your creations!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a beautiful family reunion!! And wonderful places you go together!! Yes, the beauty of God`s creation and His Love shines through it all!!♡

    ReplyDelete
  12. How cool that you guys got to spend time with precious family. Love that you got to make a family reunion out of Eduardo's visit.

    That's what this life is meant for. Glad you take time to make memories and moments count.

    I'm watching and learning.

    Except for the eating Italian... I got that down in spades!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Selina



    i am Montoya Jazhel from the philiphines ,i was in a big problem in my marital life so i read your testimony on how Dr Ikhide help you get your husband back and i said i will give it a try and i contacted the Dr Ikhide to help me and he promised to help me get my problem solved. now am so happy with my life because all my problems are over. Thanks to the great Dr Ikhide for the help and Thanks to you Selina.

    You can reach him with this email:- dr.ikhide@gmail.com and i promise he will not disappoint you.



    I AM SO HAPPY…… remember here is his email:- dr.ikhide@gmail.com



































    Kumusta Selina



    ako si Montoya Jazhel mula sa pilipinas, ako ay nasa malaking problema sa aking buhay sa pag-aasawa kaya nabasa ko ang iyong patotoo sa kung paano tulungan si Dr Ikhide na maibalik ang iyong asawa at sinabi kong susubukan ko ito at makipag-ugnay sa Dr Ikhide upang matulungan ako at nangako siyang tulungan ako na malulutas ang aking problema. ngayon masaya ako sa aking buhay dahil ang lahat ng aking mga problema ay tapos na. Salamat sa mahusay na Dr Ikhide para sa tulong at Salamat sa iyo Selina.

    Maabot mo siya sa email na ito: - dr.ikhide@gmail.com at ipinapangako ko na hindi ka niya bibiguin.



    AKO KAYA NAKAKITA …… tandaan dito ay ang kanyang email: - dr.ikhide@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Because He Lives, I Can Move

I’m currently in one of those places where you lay out all the options and then you make the best decision. It seems, however, like none of the choices are fair or attractive. I know God will help me in my situation because I desire His guidance. I’m clinging to His Word which promises that ALL things work together for good for those that love God and are called according to His purpose, Romans 8:28. I heard a great teaching this week about seeking God’s will and all the freedom that surrender brings. We can know that God is bringing about a victory if we trust Him with each and every decision. The speaker illustrated his point with a famous painting. The painting depicts a look of despair on the chess player’s face. He’s playing Satan and his soul is at stake. It looks like Satan is winning. Checkmate! When Paul Morphy saw this painting back in the 1800’s, he set up a chess board and aligned the pieces to reflect the painting. Being a world champion, he studied the board. His conclusi

Humor for the Bride and Groom

A young couple decided to wed.  As the big day approached, they grew apprehensive.  Each had a problem they had never before shared with anyone, not even each other. The Groom-to-be, overcoming his fear, decided to ask his father for advice.   "Father," he said, "I am deeply concerned about the success of my marriage."  His father replied, "Don't you love this girl?"   "Oh yes, very much," he said," but you see, I have very smelly feet, and I'm afraid that my fiancé will be put off by them."  "No problem," said dad, "all you have to do is wash your feet as often as possible, and always wear socks, even to bed."   Well, to him this seemed a workable solution. The bride-to-be, overcoming her fear, decided to take her problem up with her mom."  Mom," she said, "When I wake up in the morning my breath is truly awful."  "Honey," her mother consoled, "everyone has

A Veteran's Story

  I noticed Bill sitting in our local park where I walk.   He glanced my way just as I finished the last exercise walk song on my playlist.   He shouted and pointed to my car:   “Hey, is that your car with the Nam front license plate?   I stepped closer into the veranda where Bill sat on a picnic bench.   I noticed his Vietnam Vet cap and instantly I knew why I walked there that day.   The Marine Vet served during the 1960’s, the same time span as my husband.   Bill talked a lot about the war evoking my emotions from laughter to tears.   My South Vietnam front plate often prompts a conversation with a stranger and I’ve learned a deep respect for it over the years.   It is my way of listening to a veteran.   I enjoyed listening to Bill.   He made me laugh in spots but he made me cry as well.   Like when he talked about the sandwich lady.   “Do you ever eat at the sandwich shop in the gas station down the street?”   I replied that I’ve order coffee once in that place with a turke