Skip to main content

Unwritten Songs




Annie’s Song competed with the noise of sizzling bacon on the stove while my husband blended the ingredients for his famous blueberry waffles at the kitchen island.  I hung a big birthday banner in the dining room and anchored streamers to flow from the ceiling as a centerpiece over the table.

You fill up my senses like a night in the forest…the familiar old song played in the background on the kitchen radio.

The morning sunshine beamed through the windows as I set my dining room table for yet another special family gathering, Sookie’s birthday brunch.  Our granddaughter turned nine.  Last Saturday, her dad planned a busy, fun day.  He included us and I couldn’t wait for them to arrive.  I wouldn’t be able to go ice skating up in the mountain with the rest of the family but having a special breakfast together and opening presents gave me something to look forward to all week long!   

Papa Tom and I reminisced while we prepared the party food that morning and chatted about the oldie radio station we discovered a few weeks ago.

“How many John Denver unwritten songs leave you feeling cheated?” he asked me.   

However, for me, it’s Jim Croce.  He was my favorite and I’m always ready to hear his song again, I’ll have to say I love you in a song. 

I wish they both were still here with us today writing and singing.


What about you.  What artist left before your appetite for his/her music was fulfilled? 






It’s grand to be in a third grader’s world!  Sookie is learning her multiplication tables and just tried out for the school play, Peter Pan.  She sang a solo and got a part too! 













Tom and Amy told me that our little birthday girl caught on quickly at the ice rink and in no time took off with major speed. 




Comments

  1. How can she be 9 already!!! Only yesterday, you introduced us to Sookie as she sat in her highchair, singing praises to Jesus.

    Great question. Gone too soon? He wasn't a favorite (unlike George Harrison), but I'll go with John Lennon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your grandaughter is adorable! Happy Birthday, Sookie!
    I'm sure the party (food, music, presents...) was a success.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Time does fly! Happy Birthday, Sookie! Lovely photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your granddaughter is "9"? Wooo...Time flies! Happy Birthday to her & may the Lord's awesome blessings rain down on her...Looked like a fun party...much more with the background music playing during prep time... 2 or 3 days ago... out of the blue, I stared at my guitars on the wall & started thinking how I used to play some of Jim Croce's songs. My fav was I have to say i love you in a song, Operator & Time In A Bottle. I forgot 'em since drawing nearer to the Lord. But they're still my favorites. Thank you for the reminder that we can enjoy those memorable tunes still...oh man! If we can only keep "time in a bottle..." but I'm surely thankful for "photographs and memories. .." ;) hugs to you sister, praying for you & may you always remain strong with the power that God gives...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy belated birthday to Suki! Such a lovely young lady! Glad she had a great birthday adventure and enjoyed ice skating. Good to see a post from you!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mary! I am so with you with John Denver and Jim Croce. I had multiple albums of both. So shocking when they died!
    Sookie is such a gutsy gal to sing a solo, good for her! What a fun day, and I could almost smell the bacon cooking...yum. I just love family and family activities, and I know you do too, you must have been in heaven :)
    Blessings,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have lost a lot of our wonderful singers over silly errors - like Ricky Nelson too.

    Your granddaughter is beautiful. sandie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday to your beautiful granddaughter. What a fun day for her. So glad you got to join in with some of the activities. Oh I miss Elvis Presley to be honest. I loved his songs but my favorite were his gospel songs. I loved Jim too as you. So many I loved and still do. Hugs and blessings to your dear friend.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a cute little 9 year old!
    I think both those artists are missed. Keith Green also passed young, in an accident. I wonder what he might have written!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw....your post brought back so many memories. We had Annie's Song played at our wedding! John Denver is one of my husband's all=time favorites. I will never forget the day John Denver died. We felt like we had lost a personal friend...in answer to Tom's question, we feel very cheated by John never having been able to write more songs. SO sad. These singers become such an integral influence upon our lives, and when they are gone, we mourn. We were so dad to hear of Tom Petty's passing...it just leaves a huge, gaping hole, not only in our hearts, but in our world. Your sweet, little 9 year old is just precious!! I know you must be so proud of her!! God bless you, sweet friend. Love and appreciate you so much and praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a blessing to get to celebrate with your granddaughter for her birthday! And making memories out of old ones. That's wisdom, sister.

    I sometimes wonder what great songs we missed from Stevie Ray Vaugh, Ronnie Van Zant (Lynyrd Skynyrd), and now more recently with all the musicians lost last year and this year, like Glenn Frey and Tom Petty.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great... now the chorus from Croce is stuck in my head. "You don't pull on Superman's cape, you don't spit into the wind. You don't pull the mask of the ole Lone Ranger and you don't mess around with Jim, du-du-du-du du-du-du-du, bum-bum-bum-bum."

    ReplyDelete
  14. Food and songs are the best together. Especially relaxing music. No wonder people love to stay in restaurants with wonderful music.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your granddaughter is so beautiful !! I love the banner and party decorations!
    It`s been raining here for days and days, so its nice to open up your post so filled with sunshine!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

Grandparent's Day!

So here it is, the first Sunday after Labor Day or as I refer to it, Grandparent's Day! I arrived in Tucson a week ago.  Twelve year old Amy and excitable Jasper greeted me at the front door.  Smiley Amy looked so happy.  Then she said:  "I'm happy you are here.  Her sister, Susanna, stood next in the greeting line with big hugs.  It's been eight months since I've seen them.  My, they grow so fast. Susanna is a senior this year.  I love hearing about the colleges she visited during summer and the ones she hopes to apply for this fall.  Her mom and I have been watching Downtown Abbey with her, and of course, enjoying late evening tea with the actors in the movie. Amy continues to rock math.  This year, she's been chosen to be her teacher's assistant.  She is very responsible and the one I ask to help at the house when her parents travel.  Amy plays worship music for her dog, Star, who is recovering from Valley Fever.  It wo...