Skip to main content

Babysitting Grandchildren





“Grandchildren don’t make a woman feel old
It’s being married to a grandfather that bothers her.”

Grandma Jan




Our San Diego family needed a babysitter.  Our daughter and her husband are finally at a place in their lives where they can break away from routine and get away alone for a few days at a time.  It blessed us to have little three-year old Amy for a few days here with us in Arizona.   

Everything Changes When a Three Year Old Visits.

The uncanny triple digit heat wave nixed our outdoor plans.  Amy loves animals and we live close to Out of Africa, a wildlife park and zoo.   We couldn’t take Amy with her fair complexion.   We did, however, visit the indoor swimming pool.  Watching Amy running gleefully under the pop up sprays and loving the water slide put a big smile on my face.   













Interesting to hear Papa’s version of Cinderella.  Did you know that Cinderella called her dog “Bruno?”  Me either.


















Bye, bye, Bruno and I am missing her already!


“No cowgirl was ever faster on the draw 
than a grandma pulling baby pictures out of her handbag.” 
Anonymous


Comments

  1. Cinderella and Bruno ... I love it!
    Goodness, but Amy's exuberance and joy pops out from these images. She's such a doll, and I know she brings such glee to your lives. Thank you for sharing these images, sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Papa's rendition of Cinderella! Very creative! Amy is so adorable! I bet it was hard to say goodbye to her (and I bet you took an afternoon nap if she took an afternoon nap, LOL :) They are full of energy and never stop going, do they? Looked like fun was had by all during your time of caring for her :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy has your smile, Mary! What a heartwarming post! I am so jealous!. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The last picture, Amy patting the dog, is priceless.
    She looks the kind of girl who brings a lot of joy and laughter into the lives of her parents and grandparents. I'm sure you already miss her and her visits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww....such a sweet post, and the photos are beautiful. Priceless treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this post put a big Pile of Smile on my face. Love it! I am laughing right now at Papa's story with BRUNO! Precious memories made. A friend told me once dear Mary to make as many memories as I could because one day they would keep me company. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. That quote from "Grandma Jan"?...Hilarious!!!

    Your granddaughter has grown so fast and the pics just show how happy she is with her grandparents! Looked like she loved Cinderella's dog's name "Bruno!". How creative of the story-teller!

    I always enjoy your posts! I am always blessed to feel the joys in your hearts. It's evident, your smiles are embedded in the genes! ;) Contagious!

    Love and blessings to you always sister. Thank you for always blessing my faith journey! Your peach pie sounds awesome! I know you're a great cook! Like your mom!!! Take care and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, that little sweetheart! I know you enjoyed every moment and must miss her terribly! She is adorable! Thank you for sharing with us. Love you, sweet friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. She's a doll!!! What a blessing from God to have our loved ones around us. We get to help build a foundation. That to is a gift. Nice job Grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw. It's always good to have kids around. Their innocence is refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So precious to see such happy smiles in the midst of the heat wave! I love how Grandpa's tell stories too :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

Grandparent's Day!

So here it is, the first Sunday after Labor Day or as I refer to it, Grandparent's Day! I arrived in Tucson a week ago.  Twelve year old Amy and excitable Jasper greeted me at the front door.  Smiley Amy looked so happy.  Then she said:  "I'm happy you are here.  Her sister, Susanna, stood next in the greeting line with big hugs.  It's been eight months since I've seen them.  My, they grow so fast. Susanna is a senior this year.  I love hearing about the colleges she visited during summer and the ones she hopes to apply for this fall.  Her mom and I have been watching Downtown Abbey with her, and of course, enjoying late evening tea with the actors in the movie. Amy continues to rock math.  This year, she's been chosen to be her teacher's assistant.  She is very responsible and the one I ask to help at the house when her parents travel.  Amy plays worship music for her dog, Star, who is recovering from Valley Fever.  It wo...