Skip to main content

Wishing Mother’s Day Looked Different



This Mother’s Day doesn’t look exactly like I want it to.  We’ve been told that my sis has just weeks to live.  She’s still in a Chicago hospital and has survived a blood clot, infection, seizure and mini stroke this week.

My daughter, Amy, came over for breakfast during the week and we searched my stash for just the right tablecloth for her mother-in-law’s memorial scheduled for this Mother’s Day Weekend.  We were both sad.

I decided to serve our scrambled eggs on my mom’s Franciscan dishes that morning complete with my lace tablecloth and inherited silverware.  I am learning that creative centerpieces are a springboard to interesting conversation, hence the old photos.  That’s when our breakthrough came.  As we held each photo, we realized how blessed we are with the moms, grandmas and aunties that have sprinkled our lives.  We belong to a loving family and God has also blessed us with loving friends.

We are thankful people.  My pastor said it well when she reminded me that a garment of praise replaces a spirit of heaviness, Isaiah 61:3.  A little bit of pink, a little lace and pretty candles help too!


We attended the memorial today for Amy’s mother-in-law.  Her kids did a great job honoring their mom and our melted hearts healed.   I am so proud of them.








My sister may be leaving the hospital tomorrow to spend her final days in hospice at home.   


Tears fall, but God is still in control and always loving His children.  He has given us a weapon of praise and thanksgiving and nothing can take away the joy of our salvation.  Oh, I hope this encourages some today who, like us, wish Mother’s Day looked brighter this year.

Comments

  1. I'm so sorry that you are literally going through the valley of the shadow of death with your sister. I so remember when my sister, more like a mom to me, was in her final days of cancer~there is a blessing in being able to walk through that time with someone you love and knowing that you'll see them again in heaven. Sending you hugs today.
    Noreen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, let us never forgot those for whom Mother's Day isn't a particularly happy occasion.
    I'm so very sorry that your hearts are heavy.

    Your table looks absolutely splendid, and I love the idea of sprinkling of olden photos, like treasured guests.
    Indeed, God is in control.
    {{{HUGS}}}

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry! It's such a special day for many, but so hard for many others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry to hear what you are going through. Hugs and blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a pretty table setting!! I'm so sorry to hear the news about your sister and the passing of your daughter's mother-in-law. The good news in the midst of this incredible sad news and tough times is that eternity exists in heaven with Jesus. We just have to wait until we get there to meet up with our loved ones that have gone before us. There is that hope in the midst of grieve and sadness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear about your sister's condition. Hopefully, she's not alone there in Chicago, and is surrounded by some family. It seems she's tough and she might survive more than predicted. God is merciful.

    Good idea the display of old photos on memorial days. Such photos are a great reminder of beloved family members.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Mary, I'm so sorry about your dear sister. What a hard thing for the whole family...I'm so glad that you had a good visit with your daughter and could talk and commiserate together. I'll keep you and your sister in my prayers today and this week.
    Happy Mother's Day to you my friend, may you find joy today.
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, dear friend! I am SO sorry to hear of your dear sister's declining health and also the death of Amy's mother-in-law. All right at mother's day. I am just so very sorry. I have had that same exact Scripture on my heart lately, as we face some challenges....Jesus came to give us the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness. What an exchange! I seem to have a hard time making that trade when the hardest times come, but when I can press through and start praising Him, it absolutely does put a rebuke upon the spirit of heaviness. That heaviness is so real and so palpable. May the God of all comfort hold each one of you very close....oh, my heart truly goes out to you with much love and compassion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can totally relate to this post this year. I spent this Mother's Day weekend visiting my uncle, the last of my dad's family of 11 children. He is in a nursing home and his days here are drawing to a close. The blessings are in sharing in all the love that is flowing through his room from family and nearly-family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Mary,
    My heart aches for your family as you have had such sadness at this time of year. I was sorry to learn of Amy's mother-in-law's passing and now this news about your sister. Will you be going to Chicago to be with her? Hugs, my friend. Your table setting is beautiful and what a special way to make the best of a very hard time. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ((((((Sister Mary))))... Sometimes, it's best not to even say anything but just hugs and prayers. In silence, through the Spirit, letting you know that you are thought of. And praying God will sustain your sister, her family, and all of you during this difficult time. I can see how you are choosing to see the "positive", though may not be easy, but I felt that gift of joy from the good Lord enveloping your hearts. To others, those dishes are just some "Franciscan" old ones...but I know that it was a special gift from your mother whose love was truly a miraculous presence that would go on. Because in our loving mothers' death, their love doesn't stop there. We have no option but to trust in His true promises. He is faithful. May you all remain strong in the Lord's mighty power. Love to you sister. Thank you always for encouraging me despite me not posting in a while. But the good Lord is good. All the time. He quickly saves. And I know that is true!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw. I'm sorry to hear this.
    But you're brave and beautiful for still believing that God is in control. He really is.

    Stay steadfast.

    Sending you virtual hugs, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh dear friend , praying for you all . I know your hearts are heavy . The memorial table is so sweet . Just made me tear up . Please know I'm praying for your sister and your sweet family right now . Hugs and blessings , Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so sorry for your circumstances, Mary. I'm praying for your sister and her family which includes you, sister. I always appreciate your heart and perspective. It's your ministry.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Mary, I am so sorry for the difficult Mother's Day that this has been for you and for your daughter Amy with her MIL's passing and memorial. The tablecloth looks beautiful with all the dishes and beautiful photos! Praying for you dear friend, and for your sister in this very difficult situation. Many hugs for you today!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

Grandparent's Day!

So here it is, the first Sunday after Labor Day or as I refer to it, Grandparent's Day! I arrived in Tucson a week ago.  Twelve year old Amy and excitable Jasper greeted me at the front door.  Smiley Amy looked so happy.  Then she said:  "I'm happy you are here.  Her sister, Susanna, stood next in the greeting line with big hugs.  It's been eight months since I've seen them.  My, they grow so fast. Susanna is a senior this year.  I love hearing about the colleges she visited during summer and the ones she hopes to apply for this fall.  Her mom and I have been watching Downtown Abbey with her, and of course, enjoying late evening tea with the actors in the movie. Amy continues to rock math.  This year, she's been chosen to be her teacher's assistant.  She is very responsible and the one I ask to help at the house when her parents travel.  Amy plays worship music for her dog, Star, who is recovering from Valley Fever.  It wo...