Skip to main content

A Sign of Hope





Some Christmas presents cannot be wrapped neatly and placed under the tree.  My husband gave a gift like that to our youngest daughter this year.

I noticed Carrie and her dad huddled in a corner in serious discussion last Christmas.  Later he told me about her request for a special present that would need to be hand crafted.   He agreed to work on it throughout the year and bring it to her in San Diego for this year’s Christmas holiday.

Carrie asked him to make her a sign with the word “hope” in big letters.  He purchased one-half inch exterior plywood, three feet by seven feet and painted it with flat black paint.  He printed the word “hope” in white letters finished with reflective spray.

An Old Idea Made New
Christmastime built a memory that affected our lives over two decades ago when we moved here.  One of our neighbors created a one-word sign, hope, and attached it to their roof.  As our family drove to our home through the switchbacks, the word hope lay suspended in the sky which created a dramatic effect especially after dark.

Year after year, the neighbor displayed the hope sign on his roof.  We didn’t realize how hope imprinted in our minds.  We talked little about it.

Carrie remembered those days and discussed her feelings with her dad.  She longed to duplicate it.  It turned out to be a fun project.

We went to San Diego for Thanksgiving a few weeks ago and brought the finished sign.  Hours after we arrived, we mounted the hope sign from the gate in their backyard which faces a canyon!   A busy street runs through the canyon and drivers can’t miss the sign of hope suspended in white letters lit up with an outdoor light for nighttime.


The sentiment she scripted on her Facebook page warmed my heart:


Today we celebrate my dad’s 69th birthday!  After his health scare last year and a long road of recovery, its extra sweet to have him visiting with us during this time of Thanksgiving.  He made me this Christmas present, the best I’ve ever received:  a sign with giant reflective letters with a spotlight.  We hung it on my back gate overlooking a well traveled road.  If only one person feels this loving hope this Christmas season, it will make me so happy.  Thanks, Dad!  We love you!



Long before Jesus came to earth as a baby, Father God gave a sign of His coming.  Spoken through his servant, Isaiah.  He prophesied:

Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign.
Behold, a young woman shall conceive
And bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.
Isa 7:14


I notice in The Christmas Story in Luke how excited the shepherds became when the baby Jesus arrived. 

And the shepherds returned,
Glorifying and praising God for all they had heard and seen,
As it had been told them.
Luke 2:20



I’m with Carrie; I feel joyful when others find hope.  Jesus is the light of the world.  He came to bring us hope.  Now that’s exciting!

Comments

  1. Offhand, I can't think of a better gift!
    That's pretty neat about Carrie remembering the other family's sign over 20 years ago.
    I guess it's true what they say, one never knows what impression he/she is leaving on others. Kinda makes you want to stand up a little straighter, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a quote by Hal Lindsey that says, "Man can live about forty days without food, about three days without water, about eight minutes without air...but only for one second without hope..." Isn't that true? What a beautiful idea that sister Carrie had thought! To share the Lord's hope to many unsuspecting, hurting people who pass by and see that sign. I pray they see the sign and remind them that there is always hope for the burden they carry. I pray that everyday. For the Lord to give me His compassion, His grace, His mercy and always remind me to be like Him. Because we just never know how much a tiny dose of hope can do to broken hearts we meet somewhere. This is a beautiful post sister Mary. And so are your hearts!!! God bless you and thank you for sharing this message with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet gift your daughter wanted that your husband could make for her. Without hope, we have nothing. I am so thankful we have the hope of our Lord Savior!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful gift from your husband to your daughter after being inspired all those many years ago! I think it is a wonderful thing to share this with as many people can see it. Indeed the best gifts that come to us are the ones made with love, from our heart. A very special post my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, how sweet of your husband! I am sure your daughter will cherish that sign for years to come, and who knows how many travelers' hearts it will touch? Perhaps only eternity will reveal the number of lives it will impact. This is so touching to me. Merry Christmas, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful gift your husband gave your daughter and she in turn is giving to others. Love this story!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so wonderful Mary and it gave me goose bumps as I could envision the sign overlooking the trafficked road. Thank you for sharing with us here at Tell me a Story and I appreciate your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you! I'm happy for you re: how many people are reading so many. Bless you...

    ReplyDelete
  9. And stories like this is how our Father continues to remind us and bring us hope. The confidence that He will do what He's promised us.

    That's a wonderful story, the kind that changes more than just the lives of those involved. I can't think of a better gift, Mary.

    Blessings to you and yours this Christmas, sister.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the sweetest post and so full of what Christmas is all about....Your daughter will cherish that sign always and be reminded of a love gift from her dad....Merry Christmas Mary...I hope you are blessed beyond measure...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful, beautiful testimony!
    Love this!!

    All my heart,
    Deborah xo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Because He Lives, I Can Move

I’m currently in one of those places where you lay out all the options and then you make the best decision. It seems, however, like none of the choices are fair or attractive. I know God will help me in my situation because I desire His guidance. I’m clinging to His Word which promises that ALL things work together for good for those that love God and are called according to His purpose, Romans 8:28. I heard a great teaching this week about seeking God’s will and all the freedom that surrender brings. We can know that God is bringing about a victory if we trust Him with each and every decision. The speaker illustrated his point with a famous painting. The painting depicts a look of despair on the chess player’s face. He’s playing Satan and his soul is at stake. It looks like Satan is winning. Checkmate! When Paul Morphy saw this painting back in the 1800’s, he set up a chess board and aligned the pieces to reflect the painting. Being a world champion, he studied the board. His conclusi

Humor for the Bride and Groom

A young couple decided to wed.  As the big day approached, they grew apprehensive.  Each had a problem they had never before shared with anyone, not even each other. The Groom-to-be, overcoming his fear, decided to ask his father for advice.   "Father," he said, "I am deeply concerned about the success of my marriage."  His father replied, "Don't you love this girl?"   "Oh yes, very much," he said," but you see, I have very smelly feet, and I'm afraid that my fiancé will be put off by them."  "No problem," said dad, "all you have to do is wash your feet as often as possible, and always wear socks, even to bed."   Well, to him this seemed a workable solution. The bride-to-be, overcoming her fear, decided to take her problem up with her mom."  Mom," she said, "When I wake up in the morning my breath is truly awful."  "Honey," her mother consoled, "everyone has

A Veteran's Story

  I noticed Bill sitting in our local park where I walk.   He glanced my way just as I finished the last exercise walk song on my playlist.   He shouted and pointed to my car:   “Hey, is that your car with the Nam front license plate?   I stepped closer into the veranda where Bill sat on a picnic bench.   I noticed his Vietnam Vet cap and instantly I knew why I walked there that day.   The Marine Vet served during the 1960’s, the same time span as my husband.   Bill talked a lot about the war evoking my emotions from laughter to tears.   My South Vietnam front plate often prompts a conversation with a stranger and I’ve learned a deep respect for it over the years.   It is my way of listening to a veteran.   I enjoyed listening to Bill.   He made me laugh in spots but he made me cry as well.   Like when he talked about the sandwich lady.   “Do you ever eat at the sandwich shop in the gas station down the street?”   I replied that I’ve order coffee once in that place with a turke