Skip to main content

Presents or Presence?





I know what my kids are trying to do.  They’re instructing their children that Christmas is about someone not something.  And it’s working.

The request to us as grandparents this year was “just a few presents to place under the tree for the kids.”  I really tried hard to oblige them.  I really tried.  But then I spotted a “Fancy Nancy” storybook that I wanted to read with our six year old granddaughter!  And the games, kids love games!  Their parents should only know about the stuff I passed up! 

It worked out great and our Christmas visit with the kids makes me smile every time I think of it.  We decorated a birthday cake together and sang to Jesus.  Before Sookie blew out the candle she whispered her wish in my ear “I wish we can make a cake like this every day and all be together.”  Presents followed and as she opened each one carefully, she jumped into our laps and gave us a thank-you hug.  Each one!

I would say the lesson is being learned here.  It's about giving!  Christmas is about the Son of God leaving His heavenly home and coming down to earth as a baby only to grow up and accept Father God’s plan of redemption by dying for us a brutal death so we can be saved, delivered and free! 

Jesus grew in wisdom and in stature and in favor with God and all the people.  Luke 2:52 (NLT)

What we do see is Jesus, who was given a position "a little lower than the angels"; and because he suffered death for us, he is now "crowned with glory and honor." Yes, by God's grace, Jesus tasted death for everyone.  Hebrews 2:9 (NLT)

Merry Christmas!  Jesus is the reason we celebrate!

Comments

  1. Yes, the best gifts are all about giving! And the best gift of all is Jesus, who gave everything for us!

    Mary, I wish you and yours a very MERRY CHRISTMAS. May your home be filled with His love, joy, peace, and hope!

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It truly is about giving. Thanks for the reminder. Merry Christmas to you and your whole clan. God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...

A Veteran's Story

  I noticed Bill sitting in our local park where I walk.   He glanced my way just as I finished the last exercise walk song on my playlist.   He shouted and pointed to my car:   “Hey, is that your car with the Nam front license plate?   I stepped closer into the veranda where Bill sat on a picnic bench.   I noticed his Vietnam Vet cap and instantly I knew why I walked there that day.   The Marine Vet served during the 1960’s, the same time span as my husband.   Bill talked a lot about the war evoking my emotions from laughter to tears.   My South Vietnam front plate often prompts a conversation with a stranger and I’ve learned a deep respect for it over the years.   It is my way of listening to a veteran.   I enjoyed listening to Bill.   He made me laugh in spots but he made me cry as well.   Like when he talked about the sandwich lady.   “Do you ever eat at the sandwich shop in the gas station down the street...