Skip to main content

Dad was a Romantic






The best thing about my father was the way he loved my mother.  Dad was a romantic. 
My mom told me she met my dad for the first time at a family gathering.  She said he was the most handsome man in the room.  He was pretty dapper in his day!







I loved his happy temperament.  My kids always got a kick out of his excitement when we arrived at grandma and grandpa’s for a visit.  His favorite saying was “How sweet it is!”  He loved the simple things:  a home-cooked meal, family, playing cards, watching the ballgame with my mother.  We teased the heck out of him for being such a staunch Cubs fan, but he would laugh it off and say that somebody has to be for the underdog.  They were his team and he was loyal even though they hardly ever won.  That says a lot about a man!

My dad was the best dancing partner a girl could have!  I remember a beautiful waltz with him at my wedding.






Whenever I am missing dad, I don’t have to look too far.  Both of my brothers are clones!  They look like him, walk like him and are faithful husbands in good times and in bad.  They chase those “I miss dad blues” away, every time.  It took me and my siblings a while to figure out what true boldness is.  We finally realized later in life, that it is “consistent strength under pressure.”   That’s boldness to us.  It was not always easy to get along with our spirited mom, but our dad demonstrated a bold love that stays the course and his calm, loving ways made it look like a piece of cake.

As Father’s Day approaches, I am thankful for my earthly father.  He left behind a legacy of a man who knew how to love his wife and children and grandchildren.  No wonder it was so easy for me to believe and accept my Heavenly Father’s love!


This post links to the true stories at “Tell Me A Story.”


Comments

  1. Beautiful tribute, Mary. It was especially touching, as this will be my first Father's Day without my dad. As time moves farther from his passing in January, I am remembering more and more of the good times, and the things that I appreciated about him. I'm glad that because of my Heavenly Father's love, and the gift of His Son, I will be able to see my dad again.

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a precious tribute to your father, bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this tribute to your daddy, Mary! He sounds like the sort of man I would have enjoyed knowing.
    These pictures are precious - particularly him all 'duded up' at your wedding.

    Blessings,
    Myra

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet tribute to your dad, Mary! All of the things you mentioned about him that made him special are things I recently read about in a book entitled, Created to be His Help Meet. The things that he loved are things that we as wives need to be doing as our ministry to our husbands. Thanks for sharing such special memories with us, Mary. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. So lucky you are! What a nice memory. Very touching to read it. Yes, happy Father's day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A Dad who gets excited when his grandchildren visit is a granddad they shall always remember. Your mom was a blessed woman to have a man who loved her dearly (and loved her children too)!! I have an idea that YOU were Daddy's little girl. Thank you for sharing your lovely post with us here at “Tell Me a Story.” http://letmetelluastory.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mary! Oh my, what a loving description of your Dad. A true romantic...how blessed you were to have him for a role model. I'm sure your husband is not much different.
    Blessings to you on this Father's Day weekend, and I hope your memories will wrap you in a hug from him. How sweet that is!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi -

    I so enjoyed that read and the photos.

    And your red hair flow in your wedding photo --woo wee. Yes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

Grandparent's Day!

So here it is, the first Sunday after Labor Day or as I refer to it, Grandparent's Day! I arrived in Tucson a week ago.  Twelve year old Amy and excitable Jasper greeted me at the front door.  Smiley Amy looked so happy.  Then she said:  "I'm happy you are here.  Her sister, Susanna, stood next in the greeting line with big hugs.  It's been eight months since I've seen them.  My, they grow so fast. Susanna is a senior this year.  I love hearing about the colleges she visited during summer and the ones she hopes to apply for this fall.  Her mom and I have been watching Downtown Abbey with her, and of course, enjoying late evening tea with the actors in the movie. Amy continues to rock math.  This year, she's been chosen to be her teacher's assistant.  She is very responsible and the one I ask to help at the house when her parents travel.  Amy plays worship music for her dog, Star, who is recovering from Valley Fever.  It wo...