Skip to main content

Year 42 And Still Holding Hands







Rumors say throwing rice at the bride & groom as they leave the church culminated because it was harmful for the birds and the environment.  How about the bride and groom?  I remember how it stung my face and landed in my dress and hair!  Here we were back on August 7, 1971, leaving the church and notice he is holding my hand as we headed into the onslaught of rice-fall.

Reflecting back over 42 years, he’s held my hand through a lot.  We faced good times together of owning a new home, delivering babies, making investments, job promotions, traveling to exotic places, a grandchild.  We clung to each other in the not-so-good times of sickness, failures, job loss, and deaths of our parents.

I’m reminded of the wise words Sherri Rose Shepherd speaks about:

Watch your thoughts . . . they become your words.
Watch your words . . . they become your actions.
Watch your actions . . . they become your habits.
Watch your habits . . . they become your character.
Watch your character . . . it becomes your legacy.

We’re working on that legacy part and guess what?  We’re still holding hands!





Comments

  1. OK, you two are just too cute!!

    Congratulations on your anniversary - may you have a wonderful 42nd, and many more to come!

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You two are precious! Happy Anniversary. My parents celebrate their 60th today. They are awesome examples of that love too.
    I hope you had a wonderful celebration.
    Hugs
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on 42 years...I love the point of your post that you have held hands through the good and not so good times of your marriage...What a sweet example to your children that reveals the love you share.. It shows on your faces....

    And yes, I remember how the rice stung...I have to say I am glad they stopped that tradition.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations to you and your hubby on 42 years of marriage! You are one year ahead of us and guess what? We are still holding hands too! Loved your post today, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. precious my friend, happy anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are ewriting a beautiful love story and I pray you are both blessed in a special way today, and for many, many years to come!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrat's on a wonderful legacy! We just celebrated 35 yrs, despite what others thought. I know your family will cherish their inheritance of love seeing you through.
    Hugs, Noreen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! What a beautiful tribute. Lovely pictures, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely couple! Happy Anniversary sister Mary and take care. God bless you both.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that saying, had never heard it before. What a blessing for you to be holding hands after all this time! May you have many more moments so precious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations. You are a lovely couple....may you continue to hold hands.....♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. So beautiful!
    What a legacy of true love!
    Blessingss upon you both!
    Hugs!

    All my heart,
    Deborah xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

Grandparent's Day!

So here it is, the first Sunday after Labor Day or as I refer to it, Grandparent's Day! I arrived in Tucson a week ago.  Twelve year old Amy and excitable Jasper greeted me at the front door.  Smiley Amy looked so happy.  Then she said:  "I'm happy you are here.  Her sister, Susanna, stood next in the greeting line with big hugs.  It's been eight months since I've seen them.  My, they grow so fast. Susanna is a senior this year.  I love hearing about the colleges she visited during summer and the ones she hopes to apply for this fall.  Her mom and I have been watching Downtown Abbey with her, and of course, enjoying late evening tea with the actors in the movie. Amy continues to rock math.  This year, she's been chosen to be her teacher's assistant.  She is very responsible and the one I ask to help at the house when her parents travel.  Amy plays worship music for her dog, Star, who is recovering from Valley Fever.  It wo...