Skip to main content

Praying in Circles



We all have those times when we show up at the restaurant and soon realize that this is not only about meeting a friend for lunch but a divine appointment instead.  That’s how I felt recently when I had lunch with Cathy.

During lunch, Cathy asked me “What’s been going on in your church over the summer?”  That question opened the door to an avenue of hope.  I eagerly shared the mid-week series about Prayer Circles taken from author Mark Batterson, and how the sanctuary was filled with round tables where we gathered in circles to study about praying for our families, our church, our community and our nation.  Then we actually roamed the church grounds with our “circles” and prayed.

I’d been praying for Cathy long before my calendar listed our lunch.  Cathy is worried these days about her daughter.  I mentioned the book I just read:  Praying Circles Around Your Children.  I liked the clever way the author taught about finding a verse in God’s Word that targets the situation and praying that promise from God for our kids.  I liked reading about the creative parents who hung decorated plaques in their children’s bedrooms with their names on them followed by their meaning, calling forth those things in their little lives.  I thought about how cute that would have looked in my home when “Beloved” and “Strength” were growing up!

Imagine us, two moms, having lunch and knowing how the other one feels.  We reminded ourselves that God really cares about the details of our children’s lives.  He cares about her daughter’s illness and my daughter’s upcoming custody battle with the hassle of lawyers and mediation preparation for court again.    We were set up by God for that lunch and His powerful presence lifted and united us.  When we hugged goodbye, Cathy asked me to send her my book.  Now I can’t wait for our next lunch date.  Hopefully, we’ll have praise reports to share!  Until then, we’re praying circles around our children.

Comments

  1. Amen my friend, keep praying .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when yowl arrive for a date with a friend only to find out that it is a "God thing"......I love that your church is praying in circles for your families....If prayer is not at the heart of all we do, we can count on it not to work....

    I love your spirit..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure it was a divine God planned get together....I love when I get to experience it, You just know. :) . The prayer circle sound interesting and very informative to a prayer life. Keep us updated on the praise reports. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's what we must all do...is to pray for our loved ones but also especially our children. What a beautiful time that must be between the two of you, planned ahead by our good Father up above. God bless you sister.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes my prayers are so desperate, I feel like I'm praying *spheres* around them!! I think God would understand!

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this post. it was uplifting to see how God orchestrated the meeting with your friend. I have read about "Circle Prayers" too and it's a great book to get us thinking about and doing more praying. I didn't know about your daughters's custody battle but I will be praying for her. And the circles keep on going.and going.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the reminder to "pray circles" around my girls. Sorry to hear about the stress with your family... May God bring about beautiful redemption to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. God appointments. Love when that happens. And prayer circles...great idea. Happy Sonday. Hope it's a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love those divine appointments. And I'm almost finished with the Prayer Circles book too.

    Blessings and love,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

A Veteran's Story

  I noticed Bill sitting in our local park where I walk.   He glanced my way just as I finished the last exercise walk song on my playlist.   He shouted and pointed to my car:   “Hey, is that your car with the Nam front license plate?   I stepped closer into the veranda where Bill sat on a picnic bench.   I noticed his Vietnam Vet cap and instantly I knew why I walked there that day.   The Marine Vet served during the 1960’s, the same time span as my husband.   Bill talked a lot about the war evoking my emotions from laughter to tears.   My South Vietnam front plate often prompts a conversation with a stranger and I’ve learned a deep respect for it over the years.   It is my way of listening to a veteran.   I enjoyed listening to Bill.   He made me laugh in spots but he made me cry as well.   Like when he talked about the sandwich lady.   “Do you ever eat at the sandwich shop in the gas station down the street...

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...