Skip to main content

What Advice Would You Give to the Mother of the Bride?




My niece will be getting married in a few weeks.  Her mom asked me, do you have any practical advice for me? This will be the first time she will be “mother of the bride.”  “Yes, I do!”  1) Make sure you wear comfortable shoes.  2)  Deflect stress with humor.

Here’s my favorite mother-of-the- bride joke:



THE PERFECT DRESS 

Jennifer's wedding day was fast approaching. Nothing could dampen her excitement not even her parents' nasty divorce. Her mother had found the PERFECT dress to wear and would be the best dressed mother-of-the-bride ever! 
A week later, Jennifer was horrified to learn that her father's new young wife had bought the exact same dress!
Jennifer asked her to exchange it, but she refused. "Absolutely not. I look like a million bucks in this dress, and I'm wearing it," she replied. Jennifer told her mother who graciously said, "Never mind sweetheart. I'll get another dress. After all, it's your special day."
A few days later, they went shopping and did find another gorgeous dress. When they stopped for lunch, Jennifer asked her mother, "Aren't you going to return the other dress? You really don't have another occasion where you could wear it."
Her mother just smiled and replied,
"Of course I do, dear. I'm wearing it to the rehearsal dinner the night before the wedding."



Two antenna meet on a roof, fell in love, and got married.
The ceremony wasn't much, but the reception was great!



A little girl was at a wedding with her parents. After the wedding, she asked her mother why the bride changed her mind. "What do you mean?" her mother responded. "Well, she went down the aisle with one man and came back with another."



Behind every successful man stands a devoted wife and a surprised mother-in-law.


A man inserted an 'ad' in the classifieds: 'Wife wanted'.  Next day he received a hundred letters. They all said the same thing: 'You can have mine.'

Comments

  1. Loved these ancedotes!

    I’ve no daughters ... but have witnessed plenty of brides’ "Mom-zillas" behaving badly. Sometimes I want to tell them, “This is your daughter’s wedding – not YOURS!

    I'm pretty sure this doesn't apply to your sister (sister-in-law)!

    Great advice re. comfortable shoes!


    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your advice! Very practical, and true. You shared some pretty funny jokes too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post...I love my daughter so much and her wedding was beautiful because I let her plan it. It helped that we were serving in Bolivia, South America through the planning part. We just got to come home and reap others labor. Good advice given sister. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  4. you got me smiling. Very cute....love that last one the best and the little cartoon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good advice Mary. I love your sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mary -

    These are a hoot! Thank you for sharing the humor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You crack me up, Mary!

    As for advice, I would simply echo yours to deflect stress. When my daughter got married in the mid-90s, I went with the idea that we were going to have more fun than anyone. And we did.

    I love weddings ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love a good joke and these were all excellent! Best suggestion to a new MIL is to keep your advice to yourself unless it is asked for, then be kind, wise and tactful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

Grandparent's Day!

So here it is, the first Sunday after Labor Day or as I refer to it, Grandparent's Day! I arrived in Tucson a week ago.  Twelve year old Amy and excitable Jasper greeted me at the front door.  Smiley Amy looked so happy.  Then she said:  "I'm happy you are here.  Her sister, Susanna, stood next in the greeting line with big hugs.  It's been eight months since I've seen them.  My, they grow so fast. Susanna is a senior this year.  I love hearing about the colleges she visited during summer and the ones she hopes to apply for this fall.  Her mom and I have been watching Downtown Abbey with her, and of course, enjoying late evening tea with the actors in the movie. Amy continues to rock math.  This year, she's been chosen to be her teacher's assistant.  She is very responsible and the one I ask to help at the house when her parents travel.  Amy plays worship music for her dog, Star, who is recovering from Valley Fever.  It wo...