Skip to main content

Mother's Best Advice

When I married her son, my Mother-in-law, Stella, gave me some advice. She divulged that I’m marrying into a family of strong women who like to take charge of everybody. The way she coped was by listening attentively and replying with a kind "thank you" and then when they left, she would do what she wanted. I have to admit that it works…especially with her son. Here is Stella on the far left with the strong women.


Here I am with Mom on my wedding day when she gave me the best advice. She told me to maintain proper priorities keeping God first and then my husband and then the kids. Great Biblical advice!


Think about the best advice your mother ever gave you. I’d love to hear it!

Comments

  1. What precious advice! Mary, I don't think my Mom has EVER given me any advice. Now how sad is that?

    Oh well. I will make up for it with my own daughter.

    You look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the advice they gave you.Your mom was right on track.
    You know I really can't remember anything that really sticks out with my Mom. I think she spoke through example, which sometimes speaks louder than words. She and my dad have been married almost 58 years this August so I guess she knows what she's doing.
    Have a glorious day.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both you mother and your mil gave you good advice, and I know you have passed that down as well.

    I have so many from my own mom that I can't even single one out. I think her thoughts on marriage might be my favorite:

    "Each for the other, and both for God".

    xo

    P.S. What a beautiful bride you were Mary! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How blessed you are! I've no doubt my mother and others tried to share their wisdom ... and I wasn't listening. :(
    Love the wedding pix, Mary -- for some reason I looked and "Gidget!" popped in my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom told me never to write anything that I wouldn't feel comfortable being printed in the newspaper.

    Loved the pictures..what a gorgeous bride you are/were!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful post! I am blessed with a wise and godly mother too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. At the top of mother's list: "Never put anything in writing you'd be ashamed to have anyone read later." It's spared me a world of misery!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing the wise advice of your mother and mother-in-law. My own beautiful mother passed away August 18, 2010, and this first Mother's Day without her is hard but I'll always be grateful to her for teaching me to know Jesus and put Him first as she did in her life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What wonderful advice from both mothers! I love the photos you shared. My mother has given me a lot of good advice through the years but can't think a specific thing right now. I hope you have a lovely Mother's Day weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I loved the wise words that you received from both of these mothers!

    My mom has always been my best friend - and her advice and counsel has always been so helpful. I guess if I had to pick one thing, it was when she told me about Jesus. When I was about 3 or 4, she told me about a friend that I could have live in my heart. She told me how He was bigger than Satan. She told me how I could make Him my Lord. She told me about His Love...

    You know what? All these years later, that's still the best advice I've ever had from anyone!

    Have a wonderful Mother's Day, Mary!

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Mary -

    I loved reading this. Wow! beauty! Are you a redhead? Your hair looks red in your lovely wedding photo. I love that mother/daughter picture!

    Love was my mother's life. She exuded consistent love. I hold those memories dear...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

Grandparent's Day!

So here it is, the first Sunday after Labor Day or as I refer to it, Grandparent's Day! I arrived in Tucson a week ago.  Twelve year old Amy and excitable Jasper greeted me at the front door.  Smiley Amy looked so happy.  Then she said:  "I'm happy you are here.  Her sister, Susanna, stood next in the greeting line with big hugs.  It's been eight months since I've seen them.  My, they grow so fast. Susanna is a senior this year.  I love hearing about the colleges she visited during summer and the ones she hopes to apply for this fall.  Her mom and I have been watching Downtown Abbey with her, and of course, enjoying late evening tea with the actors in the movie. Amy continues to rock math.  This year, she's been chosen to be her teacher's assistant.  She is very responsible and the one I ask to help at the house when her parents travel.  Amy plays worship music for her dog, Star, who is recovering from Valley Fever.  It wo...