Skip to main content

Upbeat Moments!

I love upbeat moments and I cherish the pockets of joy that have sprinkled over my week. I'd like to share some with you. Winter is great in the high desert, but I have to admit it is exciting at this time of year when new growth starts to spurt.


My sweetheart gave me a new camera for Valentine's Day and I'm learning how to operate the features. If this post is a little picture-crazy, that's why. I'm camera happy! I gave my honey a "man cave" for Valentine's Day; here's the picture I took of it:



Our daughter dropped by the house the other day with cheesecake and fresh daisies. Her name means "beloved" and it fits her. I took a picture of her and her husband.

Our other daughter lives in San Diego. Her name means "strength" and "joy." It fits!
We received a bucketful of joy when my hubby's cousin, Wayne, visited last weekend. Hubby was an only child, so his cousin is like a brother. They were funny together.





Wayne brought an old photo album with him.
It was fun to look at ancient black and white
photos of the guys when they were little and
where dressed alike! My girls embraced
their second cousin.







We took Wayne to Jerome, AZ.
We had a fun lunch and talked and
talked!




Joy is such a wonderful thing to possess. No wonder the enemy tries to steal it from our souls. How do you choose joy, no matter what? Philippians answers that. Paul was not bound by his circumstances although he was in chains. His spirit was never chained. He rested in God and wrote a lot in prison all the while advancing the gospel. Likewise, our trials refine us and promote the gospel. I like Paul's perspective. I like the way he takes.
"But I want you to know, bretheren,
that the things which happened to me
have actually turned out for the furtherance of the gospel."
Phil 1:12


When we studied this in church last Sunday I did not know the warfare that would hit me this week. Today was especially rough, but I'm choosing joy in spite of my circumstances! I'm encouraged by the Word of God. It's the thing to do when we get in these hard places. Many are in rough places right now. Be encouraged.

Comments

  1. I'm glad you had such fun before the attack hit. Yes, think on the joy -- good things.

    God bless you and your beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GOD certainly knows exactly what I need. I need a smile and there you are...what a blessing. Thank you for being a genuine friend..a praying friend...a loving friend...and a friend who loves me with the heart of JESUS knowing I am a great big work in progress. GOD BLESS YOU for being my friend. One day, I pray I get a great big hugs this side of eternity!
    Blessings,
    andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Working in the prison, I know that there is just nothing pleasant. So, to know how much joy Paul had while being imprisoned was extraordinary. Knowing that it wasn't his trait but truly a gift from God. To have that hope that comes from our Lord, no walls can ever contain that, joy just overflows!

    Nice shots sister and your family is beautiful...Thank you sister Mary for your prayers and encouragement always. I might be going through a battle, but because of Him, I have joy! Glory be to God! Love you sister.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Mary, this is such a wonderful post! First I love the meaning of the girls names. Carrie is soo strong and brings so many such JOY.

    How awesome is that Man Cave!! I bet he is in HEAVEN!!! Your pictures are great too! Isn't it fun shooting your loved ones :) I got a camera for Christmas and just love it!!

    I'm sorry you have had such an attack this week but see and hear the Victory you have been given through Christ! The enemy is under your feet my dear friend!
    I will be praying for you and am so inspired by your JOY

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ever the uphill climb! Thank God there are moments of respite as we embrace family or relish God's creation. We ARE more than conquerors, dear friend. What joy it is to join you on this journey.

    Hugs,
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your picctures ... always!
    You're having fun, aren't you?
    That was interesting learning the meaning of your girls' names; did that have any bearing on your decision to name them?
    (...and what does "Mary" mean?)
    Love ya!
    Myra

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mary -

    Thank you. I so enjoyed viewing your family photos.

    And I love this that you cited, "But I want you to know, bretheren,
    that the things which happened to me
    have actually turned out for the furtherance of the gospel."
    Phil 1:12

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Because He Lives, I Can Move

I’m currently in one of those places where you lay out all the options and then you make the best decision. It seems, however, like none of the choices are fair or attractive. I know God will help me in my situation because I desire His guidance. I’m clinging to His Word which promises that ALL things work together for good for those that love God and are called according to His purpose, Romans 8:28. I heard a great teaching this week about seeking God’s will and all the freedom that surrender brings. We can know that God is bringing about a victory if we trust Him with each and every decision. The speaker illustrated his point with a famous painting. The painting depicts a look of despair on the chess player’s face. He’s playing Satan and his soul is at stake. It looks like Satan is winning. Checkmate! When Paul Morphy saw this painting back in the 1800’s, he set up a chess board and aligned the pieces to reflect the painting. Being a world champion, he studied the board. His conclusi

Humor for the Bride and Groom

A young couple decided to wed.  As the big day approached, they grew apprehensive.  Each had a problem they had never before shared with anyone, not even each other. The Groom-to-be, overcoming his fear, decided to ask his father for advice.   "Father," he said, "I am deeply concerned about the success of my marriage."  His father replied, "Don't you love this girl?"   "Oh yes, very much," he said," but you see, I have very smelly feet, and I'm afraid that my fiancĂ© will be put off by them."  "No problem," said dad, "all you have to do is wash your feet as often as possible, and always wear socks, even to bed."   Well, to him this seemed a workable solution. The bride-to-be, overcoming her fear, decided to take her problem up with her mom."  Mom," she said, "When I wake up in the morning my breath is truly awful."  "Honey," her mother consoled, "everyone has

A Veteran's Story

  I noticed Bill sitting in our local park where I walk.   He glanced my way just as I finished the last exercise walk song on my playlist.   He shouted and pointed to my car:   “Hey, is that your car with the Nam front license plate?   I stepped closer into the veranda where Bill sat on a picnic bench.   I noticed his Vietnam Vet cap and instantly I knew why I walked there that day.   The Marine Vet served during the 1960’s, the same time span as my husband.   Bill talked a lot about the war evoking my emotions from laughter to tears.   My South Vietnam front plate often prompts a conversation with a stranger and I’ve learned a deep respect for it over the years.   It is my way of listening to a veteran.   I enjoyed listening to Bill.   He made me laugh in spots but he made me cry as well.   Like when he talked about the sandwich lady.   “Do you ever eat at the sandwich shop in the gas station down the street?”   I replied that I’ve order coffee once in that place with a turke