Skip to main content

Tonk-oo

For breakfast this morning, my husband was served pancakes, scrambled eggs, sausage and bacon with tomato juice. I took him into town at 5:30 a.m. and Denny's served him a complimentary breakfast because today is not only Thanksgiving Day, it is his birthday. Okay, I'm not a big spender, but I'm thankful today that Denny's is always open, gives you a free breakfast on your birthday and celebrates with you!

On the way back home, we stopped at the grocery store and my hubby ran in for a can of evaporated milk so that I can make a pumpkin pie this morning. I stayed in the car with the heater full blast on this very cold morning and warmed up to the beautiful testimonies of thanksgiving that poured out of the Christian radio station. One story in particular gripped my heart.

A father spoke of taking his three-year old little boy on a camping trip and was amazed at how grateful his little one was over the smallest thing. How unusual for a three-year old who typically thinks only of himself. When he helped him with his jacket, or seat belt or handed him his sippy cup, the boy would say "tonk-oo". Over and over that day, he heard "tonk-oo" interspersed in conversation. He could not hold back the tears as he witnessed the thankfulness of his son for common everyday occurrences. This father shared that the experience taught him to be thankful for everything his Heavenly Father has provided for him. He wondered if our Father God sheds a tear when we remember to say thank you for all that He provides.

I join with this theme of "tonk-oo" to Father God today and thank Him for all His provision this past year and for every member of my family. "Father God, you have blessed me this past year in so many ways. Tonk-oo."

Comments

  1. May our every day be a day like today: thanks-giving. I am reminded (again) that we have been well-provided for; beyond "well". Thus I thank God for such godly friends, among them my Mary.

    Blessings to you & yours,
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Sweetie...
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. We have so much to be thankful for. I just wanted to remind you that I am thankful for your friendship as well. I am brought back to a day when we shared prayer, stories of love, and happiness. I thank you for that special page in my book of memories.

    Many hugs sweetie and so much love, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen! He deserves all our "Ton-koo's"...Happy Thanksgiving sister and may the Lord bless you and your family richly!

    I'm kicking back coz I just need to heat the ordered turkey! :) Love to you sister.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My eyes have filled with tears and my heart is filled with joy. Happy Thanksgiving my friend.
    Blessings,
    Bren

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's just perfect, Mary! What a precious expression.

    Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, and Happy Birthday to hubby!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Veteran's Story

  I noticed Bill sitting in our local park where I walk.   He glanced my way just as I finished the last exercise walk song on my playlist.   He shouted and pointed to my car:   “Hey, is that your car with the Nam front license plate?   I stepped closer into the veranda where Bill sat on a picnic bench.   I noticed his Vietnam Vet cap and instantly I knew why I walked there that day.   The Marine Vet served during the 1960’s, the same time span as my husband.   Bill talked a lot about the war evoking my emotions from laughter to tears.   My South Vietnam front plate often prompts a conversation with a stranger and I’ve learned a deep respect for it over the years.   It is my way of listening to a veteran.   I enjoyed listening to Bill.   He made me laugh in spots but he made me cry as well.   Like when he talked about the sandwich lady.   “Do you ever eat at the sandwich shop in the gas station down the street...

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...