Skip to main content

Spiritual Sundays




The mind is like a clock that is constantly running down. It has to be wound up daily with good thoughts.
Fulton J. Sheen



Christian television has come such a long way! I’m strolling down memory lane today and I'm recalling how my mom would watch Life is Worth Living, a religious tv program, taught by Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen. I was very young, but remember how she looked forward to it the way I eagerly watch Enjoying Everyday Life with Joyce Meyer these days. I was too little to comprehend the teachings, but I loved the serenity that filled our home at those times. Fulton Sheen was a big proponent of drawing away for quiet times with the Lord and he encouraged his listeners to do likewise.

Here are some of his quotes to make you smile:



I feel it is time that I also pay tribute to my four writers, Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.

Hearing nuns' confessions is like being stoned to death with popcorn.

The big print giveth, and the fine print taketh away.




What always amazed me as a little five or six year old, was how the angels always wiped his large blackboard clean during the commercials! When I asked the nuns how they did it, they gave their pat answer….”it’s a miracle.”


Have a safe, happy Labor Day weekend and make sure you fill up with inspiration at Spiritual Sundays.

Comments

  1. Beautiful.
    Hope you are doing well. Doug is a bit under the weather with respiratory yuck. We had a great day today with the kids. They were all here for chase's 21st Birthday (my middle son). Doug and I both love listening to the kids laugh and chat amongst themselves. What a blessing!

    Praying for you and the family. I have been thinking about you a lot lately. My heart continually storms the heavens on your behalf. Whatever the trial....remember, GOD always reigns victorious in the end.

    Much love and prayers, andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you have a lovely Labor Day, too! Rest and refuel, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always bring a smile to my face. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too enjoy watching Joyce! She said something the other day in fact that made me think of you immediately
    "Praise is Gods language
    Negativity is satans language"

    You are filled with praise Mary and I say thankyou for glorifying HIM and being LIKE HIM in all your ways!
    I love and adore you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is amazing how things we hear and see as a child make lasting impressions on our minds. This was a good thing you were impressed with. Thank you for sharing it with us.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was fun to read, the quotes are great. Thanks for making me smile.

    God bless you Anne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the smiles. I miss my Christian TV on Direct TV and spend too much time with the news on. I need to listen to all the beautiful CDs I have.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...and smiling I am, after reading these words! Stoned w/ popcorn? ~ How my hubby will love this!

    You've been on my mind, sweet Mary. Sending hugs,

    Myra

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh sweet memories my friend. I loved the quotes. Those were funny!!
    My parents LOVE the 700 Club with Pat Robertson. They have watched that for years.
    Big Sunday hugs to you!!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  10. What beautiful memories you have.The quotes indeed made me laugh, thank-you.
    Blessings,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Sunday Mary. Isn't it something how certain things about our childhood sticks with us? Loved the bit about the nuns erasing the board.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely post, Mary! I too enjoy listening to Joyce Meyer every day! She is a wonderful teacher. Have a lovely and restful Sunday.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the quotes, especially the big and fine print! Wonderful post..thanks so much!

    Have a blessed week-end!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi sister. Just got home. Wonderful quotes :) Just want to say have a great weekend...

    You loved the serenity that filled your home...serenity that comes from the knowing the Lord. Glory to God!

    Blessings and love to you sister.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Neat memories! I have read some of Fulton Sheens works and they were good. I think I saw him on tv once years ago.

    Thank you for your visit to Family Fountain. wb

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love those quotes--they make me smile. I also like to listen to Joyce--but haven't been doing so resently.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Precious friend, you're on my heart this evening. Praying for you and your entire family.

    Thank you for sharing with us and I pray you are having a peaceful weekend in Jesus Name.

    I have come along with Joyce M since 1986. Love her.

    Blessings and love.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the quotes and your memories of spiritual TV shows. I too remember those Sundays.

    Hugs...Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  19. It is just amazing how much we see and hear as children really do make an impact on our lives. This was a great post Mary!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

Grandparent's Day!

So here it is, the first Sunday after Labor Day or as I refer to it, Grandparent's Day! I arrived in Tucson a week ago.  Twelve year old Amy and excitable Jasper greeted me at the front door.  Smiley Amy looked so happy.  Then she said:  "I'm happy you are here.  Her sister, Susanna, stood next in the greeting line with big hugs.  It's been eight months since I've seen them.  My, they grow so fast. Susanna is a senior this year.  I love hearing about the colleges she visited during summer and the ones she hopes to apply for this fall.  Her mom and I have been watching Downtown Abbey with her, and of course, enjoying late evening tea with the actors in the movie. Amy continues to rock math.  This year, she's been chosen to be her teacher's assistant.  She is very responsible and the one I ask to help at the house when her parents travel.  Amy plays worship music for her dog, Star, who is recovering from Valley Fever.  It wo...