Skip to main content

Like Daughter, Like Mother





There's much to do in Balboa Park with its restaurants, museums, Japanese Gardens called The Friendship Garden. But today the International Cottages were opened to view! The Houses of Sweden, Germany, Israel, Hungary, Puerto Rico, Poland were filled with artifacts and samples of native food. There were so many cottages we didn't even have the time to enter. Carrie's warning to me was: "Mom, the smell of the food in Balboa Park is tempting, but let's remember that we're here for exercise." "I'll support you in that," I responded, halfheartedly.

It was a wonderful walk in the park observing guitar players, singers and dancers, an outdoor organ recital in the amphitheatre, a cup of Black Chai at the Tea House, to name a few points of interest, and, of course, green foilage and flowers everywhere. Being a lady from the desert, I loved it!

Carrie, Susanna, Mirriam the dog and I were happy to return home to make an early supper. While we cooked and fed Susanna, Carrie was amazed at my resolve to pass up the tasty foods. Well, I didn't exactly! I reminded her of my visit to the Puerto Rico Cottage. I indulged in a piece of white cake with vanilla icing thinking, "Who will see me?" What's funny is a few minutes later, Carrie said "Mom, what's that white stuff on your mouth?" I still didn't tell her the truth! At supper though, we had a good laugh.

When Carrie was three, I put her down for a nap one day telling her to sleep and not get up while I got her sister inside the house. When I returned to check on Carrie, she had dark cookies around her mouth, but insisted she did not get out of bed. I laughed to myself.

Are we cut from the same cloth or what? Proverbs 9:17 says: Stolen waters are sweet and bread eaten in secret is pleasant.

Comments

  1. I'm SO glad to learn that you are in San Diego visiting! And having a grand time, I see. I'm going to need some close up pics of Susanna. Be sure to hand off the camera for a 3 generation kodack moment too! Proverbs 9:17 - I love your illustration and will chuckle next time I sneak a treat. Soak in the sun for me too, baby. Have a wonderful visit! Ohhh, I'm just giddy for grannys!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

Prayer Pleeez!

I feel squeamish and thought I should tell you.  A giant stands before me and I’m using my sword, but ask for back-up.  I’m scheduled for surgery, August 25.  My journey begins with a left full knee replacement.  I will have to have the other knee done, later. My neighbors helped me find the best surgeon!  All she does is hips and knees. I’ve completed the pre-op tests, attended the class at the hospital to inform me of what to expect, and started physical therapy.  Before surgery I have to get to an acceptable range of motion.  Let’s just say, I’m not there yet. I am blessed! The PT believes in gentle therapy.  He has a low-key personality with humor.  He will be in my life for a while and I am determined to do whatever he says.  I’m improving already.  He knows his stuff. I can still visualize the surgeon’s finger pointing in my face to get a stationary bike and demanding:  “Get on it every day—take your ...