Skip to main content

You're Funny, Honey!

I was driving to work this morning and cracking up as I listened to the local radio station’s latest promotional challenge. As we head into Valentine’s Day, the station wants to send a prize to the couple that sends in the most humorous memory in their marriage.

My memory is when we were newlyweds and preparing for the first presidential election we would be voting in as a married couple. In fact, it was the first time I was old enough to vote and I was excited as I responsibly researched the candidates and filled out my registration papers. The day finally came and proudly, we drove to the voting poll right after work. In the most serious manner, my new husband questioned if I had my voter’s registration card and list of candidates I wanted to take into the booth with me. Then he went on to instruct me that after I sign in at the poll, I would be asked to place my hand on my heart and say the Pledge of Allegiance. It got quiet in the car as I repeated the Pledge over and over to myself in my mind as he drove. After I voted, I slid into the front seat of the car gleefully. I exclaimed that I was proud to be an American and proud to cast my very first vote! I, then, admitted that the volunteer did not ask me to say the Pledge and I certainly did not offer to! He looked at me with tears in his eyes, he was laughing so hard that he was able to pull such a fast one on me.

If you write a post today about a humorous memory in your marriage, please invite me to read it!

Comments

  1. This cwacked me up! Sometimes, I too have a big "G" on my forehead (gullible) but I can no longer blame it on blond hair!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

Grandparent's Day!

So here it is, the first Sunday after Labor Day or as I refer to it, Grandparent's Day! I arrived in Tucson a week ago.  Twelve year old Amy and excitable Jasper greeted me at the front door.  Smiley Amy looked so happy.  Then she said:  "I'm happy you are here.  Her sister, Susanna, stood next in the greeting line with big hugs.  It's been eight months since I've seen them.  My, they grow so fast. Susanna is a senior this year.  I love hearing about the colleges she visited during summer and the ones she hopes to apply for this fall.  Her mom and I have been watching Downtown Abbey with her, and of course, enjoying late evening tea with the actors in the movie. Amy continues to rock math.  This year, she's been chosen to be her teacher's assistant.  She is very responsible and the one I ask to help at the house when her parents travel.  Amy plays worship music for her dog, Star, who is recovering from Valley Fever.  It wo...