Skip to main content

Celebrating Amy


We have a reason to party in October because it is the birthday month of our oldest daughter, Amy. She is a joy to behold. She is outgoing, great sense of humor, sensitive, smart, hard working and a loving daughter, loving sister and loving wife to her Mark. Last weekend we made a special lunch for Amy and Mark with homemade apple pie for dessert using the fresh apples from our prolific apple tree. It was fun to watch Amy enjoy her presents. One, in particular, moved her deeply. It was a scrapbook that I assembled during my days in waiting for her to be born. She laughed at some of the jokes I included, enjoyed the heartfelt stories about babies, and marveled at every congratulatory card I saved. I saw her cry when she read the pages of love letters I scripted to her while still in my womb. I’ll never forget the words of my pastor’s wife to me during a difficult trial in my life. She held Amy, a preschooler then, on her lap and encouraged me with these words: “See this little one? She will be a rainbow after your every storm.” This prophetic word has come true. Happy birthday, Amy.

Comments

  1. Happy B-Day Amy! I enjoyed your blog, and hope you are a new grammy by the time you are reading this! Palin made friends last night, yes? I was proud of her.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

Grandparent's Day!

So here it is, the first Sunday after Labor Day or as I refer to it, Grandparent's Day! I arrived in Tucson a week ago.  Twelve year old Amy and excitable Jasper greeted me at the front door.  Smiley Amy looked so happy.  Then she said:  "I'm happy you are here.  Her sister, Susanna, stood next in the greeting line with big hugs.  It's been eight months since I've seen them.  My, they grow so fast. Susanna is a senior this year.  I love hearing about the colleges she visited during summer and the ones she hopes to apply for this fall.  Her mom and I have been watching Downtown Abbey with her, and of course, enjoying late evening tea with the actors in the movie. Amy continues to rock math.  This year, she's been chosen to be her teacher's assistant.  She is very responsible and the one I ask to help at the house when her parents travel.  Amy plays worship music for her dog, Star, who is recovering from Valley Fever.  It wo...