Skip to main content

Hello August

 


We’re smack in the middle of summer but I will pause and count my blessings this season.  Our arid Arizona days have turned into monsoon rains and we are refreshed.  Triple digits are put on hold for a while and cooler desert mornings allow me longer hours of yard work, especially after the messy, wild storms. 

We’ve always grown hollyhocks, but for some reason, they went dormant the last two years.  I remember Tom on his sickbed reminding me to water the seeds he planted near the fence and, like a crazy lady, I watered what seemed like empty dirt all last year.  Was he confused, maybe?  Come spring I saw the fluffy, green leaves sprout all along the fence line.  I got excited when the different colored flowers opened.  You never know what you're going to get!


As I watered, I thought of the Scripture verse about “calling forth that which is not as though it was.”  Hmm, I should apply that one to several areas of my life!


 


I spent last week with family in Tucson.
  We grilled burgers, watch Netflix, and had a pizza night.  My daughter and her husband joined their friends for a get-a-way and things got interesting for me.  I babysat my youngest granddaughter, Amy, who loves board games and water balloon fights.  Actually, it felt good when she drenched me in the hot 112 degrees! 



Amy invited me to tea with Jasper, the dog and Lily, the unicorn.  We drank lemonade and she served candy bars and chocolate chip cookies.  I will never forget it.

 



I enjoyed Susanna last weekend.  She briefed me on her trip to Europe this summer with her dad and told me she ate kidney pie and crumpets in England.  It was the second time they visited Ireland.  School started early in Arizona this year and she is now enrolled in her freshman year.  Both girls are home schooled!  Where does the time go?




My grandchildren like my flowers are growing fast but today I embrace them and enjoy them.  I won’t think about tomorrow.


 




Baby turns 40 this year and that’s unheard of for a cockatiel.  His cage sits next to my desktop in my office and we start our mornings together with me sipping coffee and he chirping to bird music on You Tube.  My cat, Bonita, is one tough fur baby, too.



 

I named my property!  I told the kids I nixed “Pine Havens.”  It sounds too much like an old people’s home.  I’m going with “Pine Hideaway.”  Now all I need is a sign to hang on one of my many pine trees.

All too soon, summer will fade and fall will arrive.  I’ll be sure to capture it with my cell phone!  Until then, happy summer days.

 


Comments

  1. Refreshed by rains in Arizona summer - that's a blessing. Grandkids are, of course, the greatest blessing. Enjoy them, and your garden's plants!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word, Mary. How your g-girls have grown! I remember Sookie in the high chair and now she's matured into such a lovely young woman. That tea party cracks me up ... and just look at the big smile on your hostesses' face.
    So touching about Tom's seeds. Everything is God's good time.
    Thanks for blessing me this morning, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good afternoon sister. All your pics are lovely, full of love & joy! Your granddaughters!!! How they've grown every time you post something. How hospitable your hostess was!!! What treats!!! 🙏😋😁

    You just have that special touch when it comes to gardening! Lovely plants & flowers.

    Stay strong in the Lord's mighty power! 🙏God bless, strengthen & protect you always🙏

    Bro. Tom just knew. With love & faith, he knew his gift for you would sprout just like that in an unexpected time. God's perfect time. Love & prayers always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely time you spent with your little granddaughter, she is very sweet. We must always make the most of every day, as time is like a puff of smoke, and we don't know what tomorrow brings. Your plants are lovely, I have always loved flowers. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What sweet pictures of you all. I wish I was better at keeping plants alive. I was in sort of in your neck of the woods with friends back in March I think it was.I had gone to Montezuma Castle and Toozigoot( sure I'm spelling it wrong since I don't have my pass in front of me) National Monument which was my first time. Its a beautiful drive up there. I have to go to Cottonwood for a neurology appointment in November. I'm praying there won't be any snow. By the way, I love the name of your property.😍

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely post! 😀 Happy Summer Days to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I enjoyed reading your blog this afternoon. Just blessed me about those flowers blooming!!! Your grands like mine are surely growing up too fast. Treasured memories you all made together sweet lady. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. So happy to see you blogging again Mary! What a sweet blessed time you had with the grandkids, such a wonderful time together! I love the new name for your place, and glad the hollyhock seeds grew into beautiful blooms - I do love those hollyhocks, they are prolific bloomers! Enjoy the cooler weather :) Blessings to you dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Thanksgiving sister! I hardly sign in into blogger so i read your last comment sooo late...

    I didn't pray for that typhoon to weaken. I prayed for all the lies in everything to be exposed in His light and in His perfect time🙏

    Despite all the evilness around us, each day always starts in gratefulness for me because I know & believe that in the end, true justice will come from Him.

    Stay strong in the Lord's mighty power. I know you'll be cooking lots of wonderful meals😋 . God bless & protect you & your family always🙏 love & prayers always from me🙏

    ReplyDelete
  10. This post was about summer and now the year is almost over! 😱🙂

    Happy new year & hope you had a blessed Christmas 🙏✝️🎁

    May this new year bring lots of surprises & answered prayers. Love and prayers always sister. Love you in Christ. 🙏❤️

    “The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face shine on you and be gracious to you; the LORD turn his face toward you and give you peace.” - Numbers 6:24-26

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Because He Lives, I Can Move

I’m currently in one of those places where you lay out all the options and then you make the best decision. It seems, however, like none of the choices are fair or attractive. I know God will help me in my situation because I desire His guidance. I’m clinging to His Word which promises that ALL things work together for good for those that love God and are called according to His purpose, Romans 8:28. I heard a great teaching this week about seeking God’s will and all the freedom that surrender brings. We can know that God is bringing about a victory if we trust Him with each and every decision. The speaker illustrated his point with a famous painting. The painting depicts a look of despair on the chess player’s face. He’s playing Satan and his soul is at stake. It looks like Satan is winning. Checkmate! When Paul Morphy saw this painting back in the 1800’s, he set up a chess board and aligned the pieces to reflect the painting. Being a world champion, he studied the board. His conclusi

Humor for the Bride and Groom

A young couple decided to wed.  As the big day approached, they grew apprehensive.  Each had a problem they had never before shared with anyone, not even each other. The Groom-to-be, overcoming his fear, decided to ask his father for advice.   "Father," he said, "I am deeply concerned about the success of my marriage."  His father replied, "Don't you love this girl?"   "Oh yes, very much," he said," but you see, I have very smelly feet, and I'm afraid that my fiancé will be put off by them."  "No problem," said dad, "all you have to do is wash your feet as often as possible, and always wear socks, even to bed."   Well, to him this seemed a workable solution. The bride-to-be, overcoming her fear, decided to take her problem up with her mom."  Mom," she said, "When I wake up in the morning my breath is truly awful."  "Honey," her mother consoled, "everyone has

A Veteran's Story

  I noticed Bill sitting in our local park where I walk.   He glanced my way just as I finished the last exercise walk song on my playlist.   He shouted and pointed to my car:   “Hey, is that your car with the Nam front license plate?   I stepped closer into the veranda where Bill sat on a picnic bench.   I noticed his Vietnam Vet cap and instantly I knew why I walked there that day.   The Marine Vet served during the 1960’s, the same time span as my husband.   Bill talked a lot about the war evoking my emotions from laughter to tears.   My South Vietnam front plate often prompts a conversation with a stranger and I’ve learned a deep respect for it over the years.   It is my way of listening to a veteran.   I enjoyed listening to Bill.   He made me laugh in spots but he made me cry as well.   Like when he talked about the sandwich lady.   “Do you ever eat at the sandwich shop in the gas station down the street?”   I replied that I’ve order coffee once in that place with a turke