Skip to main content

At Sunset, Another Passover



I met Carol at our writers group.  The last hour after critique in our round table discussion, I learned Carol owned the late, famous Himalayan cat, Joshua!  Artists in Sedona remember Joshua because he often attended their presentations!  Joshua loved people.  A local newspaper article gave him credit for raising money for the humane society.   





Carol spoke affectionately about Joshua.  He was more than a showman.  He was her beloved pet.  My favorite story involves the little boy visiting the art gallery where Carol displayed her art.  The boy’s sister held and cuddled the cat while the little boy told Carol that he longed to hold him but is allergic and watched enviously from a distance.  “Oh, honey, you can hold Joshua.  He’s hypoallergenic,” Carol corrected.  She went on to share how the little guy got permission from his dad and had the best time cuddling Joshua to his face.  When the family gathered to leave, the boy waved goodbye to Joshua.  Carol described the scene:  “Joshua sat upright leaning his right paw forward in the boy’s direction.  With that signal, the little boy ran to the cat and gave him one last hug to last a lifetime.”  Joshua knew how to connect.  Imagine a cat like Joshua bringing healing to people like that! 


I’m preparing for our Seder dinner.  Our Messianic Passover celebration will begin next weekend.  I ironed the white tablecloth and stocked up on Matzo Ball Soup.  I carried the box down from the shelf with the guys’ Kipas, our Haggadas (story books) along with Rabbi Tom’s prayer shawl.  




Once again my husband will gather our family to the table and tell the story.  Our rich Jewish roots as believers remind us that God delivers His people.  Old time prophets predicted a messiah whom we believe to be Jesus Christ, our Savior.  We never roll our eyes or tire of the story.  It points to our heritage and the traditions that never lose their power.

Make That Lamb Your Pet
We remember how Moses told families to choose a spotless lamb from their herd to be a substitute for the sins of their family.  But that’s not all.  The lamb must be brought into the home four days before slaughter.  The family should cuddle with the lamb, handle it and play with it.  This way they will feel the impact, the loss of their pet and the sacrifice of it.  Exodus 12: 3, 6

If you follow strict tradition, you would roast the lamb upright on a stake.  No bones are broken (Exodus 12:46) and the lamb’s intestines are placed on top of his head as a covering.

Jesus came to earth as the Son of God, yet man.  We love His teachings, His miracles and they way He heals mankind.  Jesus is the known as the Pascal Lamb.  He is portrayed in Scripture as a loving man extending grace where the harsh law invokes fear.  Crucified on a cross with arms outstretched wearing a crown of thorns, Jesus, the Son of God took our place.  He’s the perfect sacrifice.  Hebrews 10: 1-18

We are always inspired by the Good News.  After dinner, we sing enthusiastic songs about our healer, our deliverer.  He is God, the second person of the trinity, and enduring to us. He’s alive, raised from the dead and the honored guest at our table.

Chag Sameach!  Happy Passover!     

Comments

  1. Hi Mary! What a fun story about the artist's cat, and how you knew all about him. I would be like the little guy in the story, I'm allergic to cats too. How fun to hug and not worry!

    Happy Passover to you and yours. Your table looks beautiful, and your traditions are just as beautiful too. What brings us closer to God brings us closer to heaven. Blessings to you all!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been thinking a lot about that cat vs. the tradition of the Jews to take one of their lambs as a pet before slaughtering. Leave it to God to give us a poignant example!

      Delete
  2. Dear Mary, I really enjoyed this story! I hope that you and your family have a wonderful Passover. Much love and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cute cat with personality :) I went to a Seder meal put on by the church we were attending at the time; so enjoyed the food served as well as the explanation of the night. I hope it is a wonderful Passover for you and your loved ones!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Betty!
      It's a great story at Passover...life giving!

      Delete
  4. I love the connection and the importance you put between the cat and the Lamb. I wonder how many more Jewish families celebrate this special occasion. So inspiring your family is doing it year after year. Because if we don't tell to our children, how can they know about the Lord? And even guests...What a way to share His unconditional love among those who need to hear! I love the prep you take time for. The table is lovely and I bet the food tastes good! It does specially because you have a special Guest Who deserves the honor. Hugs to you sister and thank you for giving us a glimpse of Passover. Glory be to our Deliverer forever!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And, Rosel, that cat's name was Joshua! What are the odds of that story just the week before Passover? The Seder dinner is a special time for us. It doesn't seem like much work because it is so meaningful. Love you, sister!

      Delete
  5. Chag same’ach to you also. I've enjoyed the privilege of sharing the Seder dinner at your home, and what a blessing it was. This shared meal is especially blessed because we know the Lamb who was slain in our place, for our sins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a foretaste of heaven to enjoy a meal together with the Living Word isn't it, Cho? Someday we will all sit together at that big, big dining table in the sky with Jesus Himself. I get the chills thinking about it, brother.

      Delete
  6. Joshua's story is moving, indeed.
    Oh Mary, I've so much to learn from you! Keep writing, and I'll keep listening. :)

    Happy Passover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It goes both ways, girlfriend! Love all that I glean from your writing too!

      Delete
  7. What precious traditions you so faithfully keep, Mary! Thank you for sharing them with us here, and your table looks SO lovely! You do a great job and are such a blessing! Sending you much love...and I loved the story about the cat! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bless me as well, Cheryl. Glad you liked my cat story.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to read it, Neecie!

      Delete
  9. What a wonderful post (story of a sweet cat) and your Passover celebration. Loved your Post. Our Sunday School teacher is great on Jewish history and gave us a hand out to begin April 23 to count the Omer. Thank you for sharing with us here at Tell me a Story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those Jewish roots are rich, indeed. Gives so much understanding to those of us who like to study. Never heard of the Omer. Now you've got my curiosity.

      Delete
  10. Wow, that's one fun and wonderful dinner. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  11. At one time, I attended a Messianic congregation and attended many Passover Seders. They certainly are a blessing to be a part of. What a sweet story about Joshua! Animals just seem to have an inner sense of what we need!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the congregation setting too! Neat to be with so many faithful types enjoying the story. Carol's love for her late pet parallel my stories of my grandkids!

      Delete
  12. As usual, loved to see the pictures and loved to see what and how you shared. Bless you MUCH! AND thank you MUCH!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked my story, Joanne! Bless you as well.

      Delete
  13. Awe...enjoyed the story about the cat! Love it at how you keep traditions. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved the story about Joshua! And even though I don't usually cozy up to cats, I think Joshua would have been an exception.

    Passover - may we never, ever forget what it foretold, nor what the sacrifice cost.

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right on! Let's never forget what the sacrifice cost Him.

      Delete
  15. What a great tradition to remember. There's blessings in perseverance and being obedient to our Father's spirit.

    That is a cool cat! It's about time for us to get another one. It's hard after losing one of the four legged family members though.

    Happy Passover!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've still never participated in a genuine Passover meal. One of these days I hope to though! Such a beautiful and meaningful tradition for all of us. Thanks for sharing about Joshua. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I have never experienced a Baptist service! Maybe we need to do a switcheroo here, Lisa!

      Delete
    2. And I have never experienced a Baptist service! Maybe we need to do a switcheroo here, Lisa!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Because He Lives, I Can Move

I’m currently in one of those places where you lay out all the options and then you make the best decision. It seems, however, like none of the choices are fair or attractive. I know God will help me in my situation because I desire His guidance. I’m clinging to His Word which promises that ALL things work together for good for those that love God and are called according to His purpose, Romans 8:28. I heard a great teaching this week about seeking God’s will and all the freedom that surrender brings. We can know that God is bringing about a victory if we trust Him with each and every decision. The speaker illustrated his point with a famous painting. The painting depicts a look of despair on the chess player’s face. He’s playing Satan and his soul is at stake. It looks like Satan is winning. Checkmate! When Paul Morphy saw this painting back in the 1800’s, he set up a chess board and aligned the pieces to reflect the painting. Being a world champion, he studied the board. His conclusi

Humor for the Bride and Groom

A young couple decided to wed.  As the big day approached, they grew apprehensive.  Each had a problem they had never before shared with anyone, not even each other. The Groom-to-be, overcoming his fear, decided to ask his father for advice.   "Father," he said, "I am deeply concerned about the success of my marriage."  His father replied, "Don't you love this girl?"   "Oh yes, very much," he said," but you see, I have very smelly feet, and I'm afraid that my fiancé will be put off by them."  "No problem," said dad, "all you have to do is wash your feet as often as possible, and always wear socks, even to bed."   Well, to him this seemed a workable solution. The bride-to-be, overcoming her fear, decided to take her problem up with her mom."  Mom," she said, "When I wake up in the morning my breath is truly awful."  "Honey," her mother consoled, "everyone has

A Veteran's Story

  I noticed Bill sitting in our local park where I walk.   He glanced my way just as I finished the last exercise walk song on my playlist.   He shouted and pointed to my car:   “Hey, is that your car with the Nam front license plate?   I stepped closer into the veranda where Bill sat on a picnic bench.   I noticed his Vietnam Vet cap and instantly I knew why I walked there that day.   The Marine Vet served during the 1960’s, the same time span as my husband.   Bill talked a lot about the war evoking my emotions from laughter to tears.   My South Vietnam front plate often prompts a conversation with a stranger and I’ve learned a deep respect for it over the years.   It is my way of listening to a veteran.   I enjoyed listening to Bill.   He made me laugh in spots but he made me cry as well.   Like when he talked about the sandwich lady.   “Do you ever eat at the sandwich shop in the gas station down the street?”   I replied that I’ve order coffee once in that place with a turke