Skip to main content

What I Learned in March





I’m sharing a few things I learned in March.

1.  I learned that early spring is a great time of year for a road trip through the Arizona desert to San Diego.  The cactus blossoms proudly unfold their color and the Mesquite trees are blooming!

2.  It’s the “little things” that bring delight to others.  Our tradition is donuts.  “Don’t bring chocolate donuts next time; we don’t need the calories.”  We gathered together last week at my daughter’s and we skipped the donuts.  The coffee pot was on when we arrived and disappointment drooped in the air.  I learned to always bring the donuts. 


3.  An old fashioned Sunday afternoon in the park after church is still fashionable and is a great way to spend time with your family and your best friend.
      





4.  God’s beauty displays an array of colorful variety in Carlsbad, California in the spring and tractor rides are entertaining!
 




5.  I learned that when you photograph the Flower Fields, sometimes you find a woman hiding in your photo.  Can you see her?






6.  Some girls care more about brains than beauty.  I combed Sookie’s hair and told her how pretty she looked and she turned to me and asked:  “But do you think I’ll make a good scientist?”  I remember asking her mommy at six what she would like to be when she grows up.  She replied:  “An angel.”    I knew that wasn’t going to happen!

7.  I was surprised to learn that Sookie wants to live with me when she grows up.  I’ve never lived with a scientist.
 





8.  My daughters are planners with high energy levels.  I’m amazed at all the things we were able to do in such a short time.  They are my inspiration.






9.  I learned that it’s a good idea to always pack a skirt just in case the other girls wear one.





10.  I learned that when I picked up my granddaughter at school, Kindergarten desks and chairs look very small.

11.  When you dine out with a baby, pack a lot of Cheerios and Puffs in your bag.

  









12.  The baby turned one!  I learned she is a girl who loves to party.






13.  I learned that my son-in-law is a hands-on dad.   He cleaned up the chocolate mess and gave the baby a bath while we girls went swimming!  







14.  No wonder no one ever prepared me to be a grandparent.  It’s because there are no words that describe it.  Thrilling and exciting come close, but fall short somehow.








15.  I learned a great place to get your mile in is at the beach!







16.  I learned that family time is necessary.

“Call it a clan, call it a network, and call it a tribe. 
 Call it family; whatever you call it, whoever you are, you need one.”  Jane Howard

That’s what I learned in March!  I’m linking this post to Chatting at the Sky and Tell Me A True Story.





Comments

  1. Beautiful list and such sweet pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post and full of the little things that are the most important! What beautiful and oh so charming!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seemed like you learned a lot in March and had a wonderful time doing so! We used to live in the Carlsbad area and then further south. Would just love driving by the flower fields, so gorgeous! Glad you got to see them and spend time with your family doing so :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome month and family!!! Love those pictures! I know words can't describe your love, but you come mighty close...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a blessing to see the pictures and the words connected to them. I just smiled and smiled and laughed and rejoiced. What a treat! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a delightful post! I am so glad you visited my blog so I could share in your beautiful family travels.
    Google Jennie Allen and you will find the restless study 😊

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful post and just brought a smile to my face this morning! I loved all the pictures. No sweeter time than the time we spend with family. Your daughters sound like my 3. Planners to the core...(they get it honest though) but mercy, I can't hardly keep up with them! LOL! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favorite thing you learned is to always remember to bring the donuts..hehe. I think once a month donuts should be the breakfast for the day. That will make my grand children love this old grandma, don't you think? Beautiful picture.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful pictures, Mary!
    I think my very fav is Sookie's getting up close and personal with those purple blooms!

    PS - When Tom lived in Florida, anytime he'd come to Phoenix to visit his little granddaughter I don't think he was welcomed unless he brought along chocolate donuts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome post and lovely pics sister Mary! Your grandbabies are so beautiful and love is evident from everyone's smiles! Take care sister Mary and may you have a wonderful Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What glorious flowers and beautiful people.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is an awesome post!!! I love how you shared--your wit came through and your girls are lovely! Your trip sounded like so much fun!! I thoroughly enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You just maje my heart melt with you March post. An inspiration. Pictures of you and your family are so adorable.
    You made me think of what I too had learned last month:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved your beautiful photos. Your son-in-law was so kind to let you girls go swimming as he tended to the party girl. Thanks for sharing with us here at Tell me a Story. And yes do pack a skirt just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your pictures and your list of things you learned. Beautiful and fun and the babe is adorable!!!! Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Grateful for the love and prayers you always leave behind at my place. Thank you very much sweet sister. May you also have a wonderful Resurrection bash..."Rejoice! Again...I say 'rejoice!" His rising up outweighs all the sorrows! Love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Mary! I'm just stopping by to wish you a Happy Easter. May God bless you and yours abundantly in this holy season.

    Happy Spring too!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Mary,
    Your post was so much fun to read and I enjoyed the pictures and your sense of humor. I never liked Winter very much but after this past March, I learned I never will! I think we will still have snow in mid-May. Arizona sounds just wonderful! Happy Easter to you and your loved ones!

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  19. You've learned so much and it's only March (or April today).

    Have a wonderful journey ahead.

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mary, I am so glad that your sweet family was able to gather together. Hard to believe the little one is a year old already!

    Thank you for all of the beautiful pictures. Your daughters are as beautiful as ever and Sookie looks so grown up! How sweet that she wants to come live with you when she is grown up. :) And that she wants to be a scientist. :)

    xo Dianna

    ReplyDelete
  21. I learned that reading Mary's post made me smile:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

Grandparent's Day!

So here it is, the first Sunday after Labor Day or as I refer to it, Grandparent's Day! I arrived in Tucson a week ago.  Twelve year old Amy and excitable Jasper greeted me at the front door.  Smiley Amy looked so happy.  Then she said:  "I'm happy you are here.  Her sister, Susanna, stood next in the greeting line with big hugs.  It's been eight months since I've seen them.  My, they grow so fast. Susanna is a senior this year.  I love hearing about the colleges she visited during summer and the ones she hopes to apply for this fall.  Her mom and I have been watching Downtown Abbey with her, and of course, enjoying late evening tea with the actors in the movie. Amy continues to rock math.  This year, she's been chosen to be her teacher's assistant.  She is very responsible and the one I ask to help at the house when her parents travel.  Amy plays worship music for her dog, Star, who is recovering from Valley Fever.  It wo...