Skip to main content

Entry in My Random Smiles Journal






A lot has been going on this past week.  I smile as I open my journal and jot down some of the drama. 

Our oldest daughter, Amy, has seen her doctor three times this past week.  She was bitten by a brown recluse spider, a foe we contend with here in Arizona.  Amy had to take pain meds for a few days and she’s still on the antibiotic, but she is mending just fine.  I could write a whole post just on the natural potions people have suggested so her skin does not scar!

I heard from my cousin that our 97 year-old Aunt Ange, mom’s sister, passed away.  My sisters and I noted the longevity in the family; mom was 96.  Our mom was a strong-willed spirit, sometimes gruff tomboy, and her decree over her life repeatedly was “You can’t kill a tough Polack.”  I reminded my sisters of this because there is something to the words we speak.  I hope they come up with a classier declaration we can use to speak over our fate.

I'm packing my bag for tomorrow’s flight to San Diego.  Our daughter, Carrie, is ready to deliver any day now.  I’m rested and geared up to help in any way the family needs, especially caring for five-year old Susanna!




I’m praying for Carrie’s childbirth to be safe.  I told her not to begin laboring until I arrive, of course!  I love the verse I saw on my desk calendar when I flipped into March.  “I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well,”  Psalm 139:14  This is my prayer for my new grand baby soon to arrive.  Oh what fun it will be to have a baby to kiss and cuddle!

For some crazy reason, I woke up very weepy a few mornings ago.  The blues just hit me out of nowhere.  My husband found some cash he tucked away for future guitar equipment and suggested a ride to Old Town.  He bought me lunch at an old European Café.  Afterward, we walked through the little shops and I found a cute blue cookie cutter in the shape of a bunny for Susanna.  In another gift shop, I found a decorative blue soap for her bathroom.  We want her to feel special and not crowded out with the coming of a new baby.  (I like how her mom let her choose new towels for the bathroom.  Of course she chose blue!)  By the time we got back to the homestead, I forgot why I was sad in the first place.  Kudos to my hubby for sharing his stash with me and creating such a romantic afternoon date.

I am currently reading Through A Glass Darkly by Gilbert Morris.  My girlfriend, Mary Jane, tucked it in my arm the other day; now I'll have an interesting read on my travel day.

Over the weekend, I asked the Lord for some encouragement regarding my prayer list.  I know He is working in every request, and solutions take time but could He just send inspiration?  That night before I lay my head on my pillow, I learned that my friend’s daughter has been declared cancer free!  Added to that, two of my middle-aged friends have been weary of the lonely single life.  Both wrote that day that they are dating wonderful men of whom the families approve!  God truly is busy at work in each situation!  And I like this quote about prayer:

“I had rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.”  Thomas Lye

I close with grandparent humor:

"The best babysitters, of course, are the baby's grandparents. You feel completely comfortable entrusting your baby to them for long periods, which is why most grandparents flee to Florida."  Dave Barry

“A grandmother is a woman who’s thrilled because her grandchild can recite the Gettysburg Address at eight when Lincoln didn’t do it until he was much older.”  Milton Berle

I’ll be off line for a few weeks and will return with photos of my trip to share in future journal entries.


Comments

  1. Praying for your precious family, love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the new grandbaby. We have four and there's nothing like them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice reading updates from you. Congratulation with your soon to be grandchild.
    By the way, your hubby is so sweet:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for a healthy new grandbaby...and hopefully a ton of photo's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susanna is growing up so fast! I am soooo happy for Carrie. What an inspiration she is. I don't know that she blogs anymore....probably not on her old blog - Hallelujah!- what a blessed testimony she has! But if you think of it, and if she remembers me, tell her hello.
    I shall be keeping her in my prayers. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet caring husband.. and so good for the both of you to have a day out. I pray your grandchild arrives safety and all goes well prior and post the birth. There is nothing like grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mary! Have a safe trip and I will be praying for a safe birth. I know you'll be such a wonderful presence for everyone. Be sure to get a little rest yourself!

    Blessings,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary, what joy here today in catching up on your life! My prayers for a safe and easy delivery for Carrie. And I think your gifts for Susanna will be just the perfect surprise for a big sister!

    Can't wait to see photos.

    Travel safe, be encouraged, and always remember that the Lord is answering our prayers - even when we can't see the results sometimes.

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh praying for sweet Carrie right now, what a joy, Mary! Blessings to all!!

    xo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

Grandparent's Day!

So here it is, the first Sunday after Labor Day or as I refer to it, Grandparent's Day! I arrived in Tucson a week ago.  Twelve year old Amy and excitable Jasper greeted me at the front door.  Smiley Amy looked so happy.  Then she said:  "I'm happy you are here.  Her sister, Susanna, stood next in the greeting line with big hugs.  It's been eight months since I've seen them.  My, they grow so fast. Susanna is a senior this year.  I love hearing about the colleges she visited during summer and the ones she hopes to apply for this fall.  Her mom and I have been watching Downtown Abbey with her, and of course, enjoying late evening tea with the actors in the movie. Amy continues to rock math.  This year, she's been chosen to be her teacher's assistant.  She is very responsible and the one I ask to help at the house when her parents travel.  Amy plays worship music for her dog, Star, who is recovering from Valley Fever.  It wo...