Skip to main content

Cake Is No Substitute for Approval




It’s not that cake is evil, but its lure shouldn’t control me.   I admit, it’s the thing I like to run to when I’m sad, or my feelings are hurt or some other stressor reels me in.  It’s a pattern I want to break but it’s hard.  It’s been there for some time.  Yes, it’s an idol.

It helps to admit these things.  It helps to know other women struggle with things too and want to reach higher.  I know I’m not alone.  I want to be stronger, healthier and a focused Christian woman willing to throw away an idol that trips me up.

Last week I met with a small group of girlfriends.  I thought I had the upper hand since I like white cake, unlike these chocolate gluttens gushing over a chocolate cake we all shared!  Out of nowhere, I told my embarrassing story of how, years ago, my girls got together and fixed me a wonderful birthday dinner.  For dessert, they went to the bakery and purchased a Boston cream pie.  My response was so darn ugly and I said something like “After all these years, I’m surprised you two haven’t noticed that my favorite dessert is a simple white cake, not rich cream.  I guess you bought what you like.” I hate remembering the look on their faces…because of the wrong dessert choice?   One of the gals in the group smiled and mentioned how she loved this because perfect motherhood is a myth and we each have our horror stories.  I felt bad though when one gal retorted, “I only wish my response to cake was the culprit to my relationship with my son.”

It’s not a matter for me to observe or not to observe Lenten practices religiously.  But I discovered an opportunity to go deeper and find my comfort in God’s approval, not sweets!  Jennifer Dukes Lee wrote a book called Love Idol: Letting Go of Your Need for Approval - and Seeing Yourself through God's Eyes.  In that same vein, she is hosting a challenge on her blog, Tell His Story. Jennifer invites those who are hungry for love to join her in a Lenten journey. 

Check it out and come aboard as we smash some of these idols and exchange them for God’s approval!  He loves us.  Easter morning is going to pretty special this year.

Comments

  1. I love your transparency, Mary. No doubt that's why we're such kindred souls.

    You're telling my story. Shortly before we moved back to WA State I lost close to 30 pounds. In the 4 1/12 years since we've been here, my share of the cake has added back 20 of those. It's just tooooo easy to give into the flesh where matters of "taste" are concerned.

    Great, meaty post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary! Your plan to join Jennifer for Lent sounds wonderful I'll have to check out her site for the details.

    I am also a slave to food and it does bother me. Maybe I can help make this Lent a cause to work on liberation. I'd love that! Thank you for this informative post. The book sounds great :)
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

Grandparent's Day!

So here it is, the first Sunday after Labor Day or as I refer to it, Grandparent's Day! I arrived in Tucson a week ago.  Twelve year old Amy and excitable Jasper greeted me at the front door.  Smiley Amy looked so happy.  Then she said:  "I'm happy you are here.  Her sister, Susanna, stood next in the greeting line with big hugs.  It's been eight months since I've seen them.  My, they grow so fast. Susanna is a senior this year.  I love hearing about the colleges she visited during summer and the ones she hopes to apply for this fall.  Her mom and I have been watching Downtown Abbey with her, and of course, enjoying late evening tea with the actors in the movie. Amy continues to rock math.  This year, she's been chosen to be her teacher's assistant.  She is very responsible and the one I ask to help at the house when her parents travel.  Amy plays worship music for her dog, Star, who is recovering from Valley Fever.  It wo...