The clerk at the DMV whispered “You do not look 65” when I renewed my driver’s license the other day. I wanted to jump up over the desk and hug her! I knew those Polish genes would rescue me someday.
When my girlfriend, Lea, turned 65, she had a meltdown. We were unable to console her for days. But that wasn’t the way for my sister, Judy. After her birthday, she wrote: “You are going to love 65, retiring and entering into a whole new freedom.”
My birthday is Friday, January 31st, but I’ve been living it up all week. A breakfast adventure with a girlfriend. The kids made a special salmon dinner—with homemade cake for dessert. My husband took me to one of our favorite mountain towns where we enjoyed an intimate lunch and then saw the movie, Saving Mr. Banks. It’s not so much about gifts for me as it is quality time together, but the kids are generous. I now have a year’s pass to the Rec Center and a new Ipod.
So how am I going to look at this milestone, with cake and balloons or a pity party? One thing I know from my Christian heritage is that when anything seems huge, it’s time to be thankful for what God has done. This week I’ve kicked thankfulness into high gear. I’ve been reflecting just how very blessed my 65 years have been.
· I was born into a wonderful family. My siblings are some of my dearest friends.
· I’m thankful for a soul mate of 42 years to share my journey. He was there when our two daughters were born, holding them—holding me and snapping pictures like crazy.
· Amy was always dressing up as nurse and taking care of everyone. I was on the front row when she received her pin and became a RN.
· Carrie blossomed when she became a mother. She is an awesome hands-on mom and her children are blessed.
· Both girls married wonderful men and now I have sons! What is neat is that they all are friends. Our family times are loving times.
· My life has been sprinkled with powerful friendships with women.
· Don’t get me started about the thrill of being a grandmother.
· When I look back at vacations, I’m amazed at all the places I’ve been!
· I am blessed with the best on-line friends a girl can have, some of whom I’ve met in person!
· I have a personal Savior and know how deeply He loves me. He promised me eternal life!
I chose Celine Dion’s song, “Because You Loved Me” to go with my slideshow. It’s fitting for my life, thus far. You can hit pause on the sidebar if you don’t want to listen to it. Feel free to watch a few slides or the whole show. And if you want to razz me with “over the hill” jokes, I can take it!
|Slideshow design made with Smilebox|