Skip to main content

Sister Socialist




God promises to provide your need.
But the Bible doesn’t provide your dreams.
You need to work for them.
Greg Laurie

For even when we were with you,
We gave you this rule:
“The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat.”
2 Thessalonians 3:10

My alarm woke me up to Greg Laurie’s teaching this morning.  His focus was about realizing our dreams and how to work toward them dispelling the notion that God owes us fulfillment as we sit and wait for them to magically appear.  Oh, the black and white Bible teachings of Greg Laurie!

I remember the scene in my living room when I hosted a women’s event from my church.  My close friend, Jan, was there.  Tension entered the room when Carol voiced her repeated mantra of how we Christians have it all wrong.   She packed all her socialistic theology in one verse in the New Testament where it talks about Christians sharing their stuff and no one owning anything so everybody’s needs are met.  (Acts 2:44, 45)
Jan tensed up because she often was Carol’s target for some reason.  Carol had a hard life with horrendous doctor bills due to her husband’s fatal disease.  Many from church helped Carol, including Jan, with transportation for the kids and paying bills.  It was never enough.  But we were growing tired of manipulation and inflicted guilt, why: because we had steady incomes?

I was glad Carol was the last to leave my house because I was able to speak to her hurt, calling it a root of bitterness.  I’ll never forget the look on her face, not of anger or defense, but of surprise.  Bitterness and resentment, really?  I know just how she felt having been there a time or two myself.  I remember feeling like I was in a maze and asking: “How did I get here?”  Bitterness poisons our thinking sending us into a whirlwind of crazy theology!

I cringe to think of what my life would be like without my Christian family.  We are to pull each other out of the fire and help each other stay on the sure narrow path.  I bet Carol would agree.

This post links to the writers at Tell Me A Story.




Tell Me a Story

Comments

  1. Isn't it the truth! It's a sneaky little tool in satan's toolbox, the bitterness wedge.

    I also love Greg Laurie's teaching, have loved he and cathe for years. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMEN!

    Hope you are doing well. Continuing to pray for you and yours!

    Hugs,
    andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bitterness is one of the most deep rooted of emotions and hard to get rid of....I am sure that is why the Lord warned us not to go to bed angry. I almost let my anger grow a deep root but like you did for your friend someone brought it to my attention. Just in time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You hit the nail on the head with this. I've witnessed two situations -- one lady is willing to do the work the Lord opens the door for and one who is not. We should always look to seek what pleases the Lord and I believe if He makes us capable then we will find joy in serving or doing whatever we can! That bitter root is a sneaky devil. Thank you for this post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

Grandparent's Day!

So here it is, the first Sunday after Labor Day or as I refer to it, Grandparent's Day! I arrived in Tucson a week ago.  Twelve year old Amy and excitable Jasper greeted me at the front door.  Smiley Amy looked so happy.  Then she said:  "I'm happy you are here.  Her sister, Susanna, stood next in the greeting line with big hugs.  It's been eight months since I've seen them.  My, they grow so fast. Susanna is a senior this year.  I love hearing about the colleges she visited during summer and the ones she hopes to apply for this fall.  Her mom and I have been watching Downtown Abbey with her, and of course, enjoying late evening tea with the actors in the movie. Amy continues to rock math.  This year, she's been chosen to be her teacher's assistant.  She is very responsible and the one I ask to help at the house when her parents travel.  Amy plays worship music for her dog, Star, who is recovering from Valley Fever.  It wo...