Skip to main content

Sanctuary in the Mountains







Spring is a lovely time to visit Flagstaff, AZ.  The air is still cool and the snow capped San Francisco Peaks shimmer in the bright sun.  As I drove to this wonderful city for a few-days' retreat, I prayed for clear direction for my life.  I treasure these heavenly times in a mountain sanctuary far from everyday routine.









These daffodils know what direction they should lean.  I guess it helps to have a strong morning breeze lead the way! The teachings in God’s Word lead me and I heard some powerful messages. 

Your word is a lamp to guide my feet
and a light for my path.  Psalm 119:105









I never tire of pine trees.  Rows and rows of them speak strength and faithfulness to me.

Those who live in the shelter of the Most High
will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
This I declare about the Lord:
He alone is my refuge, my place of safety;
he is my God, and I trust him.  Psalm 91: 1, 2


I’m thankful to be refreshed and ready to engage again.  The neat thing about being with Jesus – He always whispers encouragement and love and offers rest for the weary! 

Comments

  1. A beautiful reminder of the faithfulness of our God's presence, Mary! The beauty of His creation is a reminder of His strength...especially in the mountains! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, I am so glad that you were able to get away with the Father and let His renewing hand rest upon you...It sounds like a wonderful retreat.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Lord loves for us to search out a quiet place to be alone with him...he blesses it with His peace and clear thinking. I am so happy for you to have experience this.♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. How often I talk...talk...as I pray...asking for what I want...what I need...Thank you for the reminder of the importance to be still in His presence and to "listen" instead of what He wants to say in my heart...I know the refreshment from Him is "not of this place..." God bless and protect you sister Mary.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

Grandparent's Day!

So here it is, the first Sunday after Labor Day or as I refer to it, Grandparent's Day! I arrived in Tucson a week ago.  Twelve year old Amy and excitable Jasper greeted me at the front door.  Smiley Amy looked so happy.  Then she said:  "I'm happy you are here.  Her sister, Susanna, stood next in the greeting line with big hugs.  It's been eight months since I've seen them.  My, they grow so fast. Susanna is a senior this year.  I love hearing about the colleges she visited during summer and the ones she hopes to apply for this fall.  Her mom and I have been watching Downtown Abbey with her, and of course, enjoying late evening tea with the actors in the movie. Amy continues to rock math.  This year, she's been chosen to be her teacher's assistant.  She is very responsible and the one I ask to help at the house when her parents travel.  Amy plays worship music for her dog, Star, who is recovering from Valley Fever.  It wo...