Skip to main content

Come to the Table Book Review




I’m sharing my review today about Come to the Table, written by Neta Jackson, a favorite author of mine.  The story features three students from Chicago Crista University and a homeless gal with her son. Also in this story, Avis and Peter appear from the loved Yada Yada Sisters Series.

This novel is the second book of the SouledOut Sisters series and can be read easily by itself.  Nick, Brygitta, Kat and Rochelle and her six year old son, Conny all share an apartment and learn to apply Christian principles to living together in harmony overcoming jealousy, criticism and insecurity.  The author does a great job of integrating biblical topics in the storyline and just like the characters, you find yourself asking questions like who should be baptized, is church membership a necessary commitment and how to interact with someone with HIV.   I specifically like the way the main character, Kat, learns how to slow down and pray for God’s leading before running off with her many ideas and getting way in over her head.

The story focuses on serving God by serving His people through a food pantry ministry.  It includes a touch of romance and some great lessons in communication.   I found it to be delightful and entertaining with a few surprises in the last few chapters.

Comments

  1. Sounds like a great read Mary!
    Hope your week is wonderful xo

    All my heart,
    Deborah xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a very interesting book, Mary. Thanks for sharing! I'll put it on my wish list. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh Shoot!! I was in the Christian bookstore today and tried to remember the name of your book and couldn't... next time I'll pick it up. Sounds like a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a good book. Applying Christian principles while living with a group of people can be challenging.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

Grandparent's Day!

So here it is, the first Sunday after Labor Day or as I refer to it, Grandparent's Day! I arrived in Tucson a week ago.  Twelve year old Amy and excitable Jasper greeted me at the front door.  Smiley Amy looked so happy.  Then she said:  "I'm happy you are here.  Her sister, Susanna, stood next in the greeting line with big hugs.  It's been eight months since I've seen them.  My, they grow so fast. Susanna is a senior this year.  I love hearing about the colleges she visited during summer and the ones she hopes to apply for this fall.  Her mom and I have been watching Downtown Abbey with her, and of course, enjoying late evening tea with the actors in the movie. Amy continues to rock math.  This year, she's been chosen to be her teacher's assistant.  She is very responsible and the one I ask to help at the house when her parents travel.  Amy plays worship music for her dog, Star, who is recovering from Valley Fever.  It wo...