Skip to main content

I Love You This Much!





I’m writing this post today with a little help from Susanna.  When you look at this picture, what do you see?  I often think of the question, “How much do you love us, Jesus?”  And He stretches out His arms on the cross and says to us “This much.”  Then He dies.  Sometimes I need to be reminded of just how much I am loved.  Maybe you do too.

I was reading this morning in 1 John 5 and writing in my journal how loved I feel because I can enter into God’s presence and ask Him for things.  It’s all because of what Jesus did.  I have a father-daughter relationship built on trust.  For sure, I’m not going to ask selfishly but wisely and in His will for me.  It’s a faith booster I embrace.

I remember several years ago when a pastor friend of ours traveled through town and preached a message of God’s love reminding us of the access to Him we have because Jesus made the way.  He used Ronald Reagan for an illustration.  His young daughter at that time was a big Reagan fan.  It wasn’t as stylish then as it is today either!  She was only a pre-teen, but loved history and he was her hero.  She wrote him a letter and poured out her heart to him.  To her parent’s amazement she received a reply and an invitation to meet him at his ranch in California.  They drove her there and waited thirty minutes outside while she sat with him privately and visited the retired president.  I love the way he accommodated her—just him and her!  It’s a good illustration of how willing our Father God is to be with us, one to one!

14And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us: 15And if we know that he hears us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.  I John 5: 14, 15

I was a young mom in the Reagan years very busy with kids and I took for granted what a great president I had.  The country was safe and I was oblivious to the integrity of such a great man’s leadership.  Today it’s different.  I’m fully aware of how blessed I am to live in a nation built on the foundational principles of The Bible.  I, too, am keenly aware that I have access to the throne of God because I’m His.  He’s so important and I’m not, but I’ve made up my mind to not take it for granted and I'm going in! 

Comments

  1. Oh my gosh...Susanna has really grown!
    I was 18 when I cast my first vote...for Ronald Reagan, on a paper ballot in WV. What a great story and illustration.
    Timely words of wisdom, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susanna is growing up. What an adorable, sweet baby girl!

    I don't think I woke up to politics until midlife. It just didn't seem important to me until then, but it sure has been ever since. I know & trust the Lord to work out His perfect will through each election season, but I also know the great privilege we've been granted in voting. So many have no such say.

    How's Carrie doing? Is she married yet? I think of her often, and thank God for His blessings in her life (and ours).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truly God loves us. it's so wonderful to have a Heavenly Father like that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

Grandparent's Day!

So here it is, the first Sunday after Labor Day or as I refer to it, Grandparent's Day! I arrived in Tucson a week ago.  Twelve year old Amy and excitable Jasper greeted me at the front door.  Smiley Amy looked so happy.  Then she said:  "I'm happy you are here.  Her sister, Susanna, stood next in the greeting line with big hugs.  It's been eight months since I've seen them.  My, they grow so fast. Susanna is a senior this year.  I love hearing about the colleges she visited during summer and the ones she hopes to apply for this fall.  Her mom and I have been watching Downtown Abbey with her, and of course, enjoying late evening tea with the actors in the movie. Amy continues to rock math.  This year, she's been chosen to be her teacher's assistant.  She is very responsible and the one I ask to help at the house when her parents travel.  Amy plays worship music for her dog, Star, who is recovering from Valley Fever.  It wo...