Skip to main content

Cookie History Repeats Itself



One of my favorite memories about moving out west and getting settled in a new frontier was the kids’ nap times.

I was in my early thirties, and my youngest daughter had just turned three and I remember sending her to her bedroom for a nap one afternoon. I instructed her to stay in her bed while I went a few doors down to meet her big sister at the bus stop and walk her home from morning preschool. When I returned, I checked on my sleeping daughter only to find out that she was not sleeping. “Did you get out of your bed?” “No!” She replied. “Did you help yourself to the cookie jar while I was gone?” “Nooooo!” However, her face gave her away with a big ring of chocolate chip cookies around her lips. I had all to do to keep a straight face.

I spoke to this daughter (now in her early thirties) on the telephone yesterday and while we talked, she was brushing off chocolate chip cookie crumbs from her three-year old daughter’s mouth! I love how cookie history repeats itself!

This post links to “Tell Me a Story” hosted by Hazel, a wonderful story teller. Drop by her blog posted on my sidebar and enjoy a good story. Perhaps you have one you would like to share.

Comments

  1. She just could not resist your delicious chocolate chip cookies, and history repeats itself! They are such a temptation for any age!
    Thank you for visiting my new Blog Party! "Tell Me a Story"

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a heartwarming story, Mary!

    I love how your words just paint us a picture ....

    love you!
    Myra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comment on "My Intercessor" post and I am sorry for your loss. I'm glad the post was a comfort to you.

    I loved this post about how cookie history repeats itself! I smile when I watch my grown kids experience history repeating itself in a variety of ways!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's funny to see how our daughters get "paid back" by their daughters for the same things they did when they were little.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww, so precious. Thank you for the smile. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm still guilty of being caught with my hand in the cookie jar! Smart girls.. both your daughter and your grand daughter!

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awe, so cute & cookies...mmmmm! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mary -

    This is precious. How cute.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

Grandparent's Day!

So here it is, the first Sunday after Labor Day or as I refer to it, Grandparent's Day! I arrived in Tucson a week ago.  Twelve year old Amy and excitable Jasper greeted me at the front door.  Smiley Amy looked so happy.  Then she said:  "I'm happy you are here.  Her sister, Susanna, stood next in the greeting line with big hugs.  It's been eight months since I've seen them.  My, they grow so fast. Susanna is a senior this year.  I love hearing about the colleges she visited during summer and the ones she hopes to apply for this fall.  Her mom and I have been watching Downtown Abbey with her, and of course, enjoying late evening tea with the actors in the movie. Amy continues to rock math.  This year, she's been chosen to be her teacher's assistant.  She is very responsible and the one I ask to help at the house when her parents travel.  Amy plays worship music for her dog, Star, who is recovering from Valley Fever.  It wo...