Skip to main content

Couldn't Wait to Hug My Vet

I couldn’t wait. It’s a day early but I gave my husband Dice, a Viet Nam Vet, his card with a great big hug. The card was perfect. The front read: “Thank you for serving in the Navy” over a photo of a naval fleet out at sea. Dice liked it. He pointed to an aircraft carrier ship, way too familiar, having served two tours in the South China Sea on a Carrier. He explained how the carrier was a vulnerable ship and was protected by other war ships as they all traveled together, just like on my card.



I was also able to give a warm hug to my friend Al, a veteran, while at lunch with him this week. My girlfriends honored him with a meal and we expressed our gratitude for all he continues to do for our nation’s veterans. Al, at 72, has fulfilled two-thirds of his childhood dream of walking across our great nation! In 2009, he walked from California to Ocean City, Md and in 2011, from Florida to Maine. Al pushes a cart decorated with flags and encourages veterans as well as firefighters and policemen in cities across the country. I enjoyed hearing the ways that the Lord protected this friendly man and met his every need by placing “just the right” person in his path along the way.




My favorite story is when Al met another veteran from Iraq who dressed every day in his clown uniform to entertain in civic presentations. Every day? “Yes,” he told Al. “I must put on my clown makeup to survive. I lost my two best friends who went to Iraq with me but did not return.” Al shared Jesus with him reassuring him that Jesus could restore his joy and he would not have to perform for it.

I know that some of my blogging friends are veterans or you have sons and daughters serving our country. I thank you today from the deepest places in my heart for your service and for keeping us safe.

Comments

  1. I love that you wrote about appreciating veterans. I didn't think anyone even realized it was veterans day tomorrow - for some reason, there hasn't been much talk about it at all. and btw, Thanks to your hubby for his service! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are among the many unsung heroes in this great land. We'd not be so great without them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. aw, nice post. they all sound so inspiring. :)
    i have lost some family members to the war...gone, but not forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Say "thank you" to your veteran husband for his service. My dad also served in the Navy, in WW2.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing such a wonderful tribute to our Vets. Blessings to you dear one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mary -

    Thank you for this rich tribute.

    A salute to the soldiers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Dice and Al. We really appreciate what you did for our country - what you did for us.

    We will never forget your contribution, and the unselfish way you fought for freedom.

    Thank you.

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My son just came home after serving in the Navy for 5 years. It was so nice of Applebee's to give free meals to the vets! I'm sure other restaurants did that too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

Grandparent's Day!

So here it is, the first Sunday after Labor Day or as I refer to it, Grandparent's Day! I arrived in Tucson a week ago.  Twelve year old Amy and excitable Jasper greeted me at the front door.  Smiley Amy looked so happy.  Then she said:  "I'm happy you are here.  Her sister, Susanna, stood next in the greeting line with big hugs.  It's been eight months since I've seen them.  My, they grow so fast. Susanna is a senior this year.  I love hearing about the colleges she visited during summer and the ones she hopes to apply for this fall.  Her mom and I have been watching Downtown Abbey with her, and of course, enjoying late evening tea with the actors in the movie. Amy continues to rock math.  This year, she's been chosen to be her teacher's assistant.  She is very responsible and the one I ask to help at the house when her parents travel.  Amy plays worship music for her dog, Star, who is recovering from Valley Fever.  It wo...