Skip to main content

Road Repairs!



My town is anything but fun to drive through these days. Construction crews are everywhere working to widen the main two-lane road. Road signs that say “this way” with arrows are strewn along the path and you have to drive your car between narrow orange cones for miles. You have to take detours. What I dislike the most is waiting. If I time it just right, all that’s required is slowing down and waiting a few minutes for the pilot car to lead me to the other side. But all too often, I end up in long lines while traffic moves the opposite way and my car stands still in line with other impatient drivers for over 20 minutes! It makes it difficult to time travelling to appointments. Last week I was 15 minutes late for my Life Group, a small cell group from church, and they start promptly!

I know that in the months ahead, our road will be repaired. It will be safer, more attractive and a dream to drive on and waiting in long lines of traffic will be a lost memory. But in the meantime, I’m inconvenienced!

Isn’t it like this in our spiritual lives, too? I want to cross quickly from one place to the next but hindrances happen. Detours are required and I realize that the narrow path is hard. I want my way. I want my plan and have to slow down and accept God’s rerouting whether I like it or not. I want to go “here” and He says “No, go there!” I know that in the end, His purpose prevails and someday I will say “Thank you, Lord.” But all too often, I’m impatient for the process of His promises to come to pass.

“You haven’t done this before. Ask, using my Name, and you will have abundant joy.” John 16:24. This was the first scripture I read this morning and it’s been pulsating in my heart throughout the day reminding me that nothing and no one can steal my joy. Regardless of life’s deviations, I can call on the Name of Jesus and He will give me joy to do anything and be anywhere I need to be! I’ve been thinking about this all day, especially when I sat still in today's road repairs!



This post links to On Your Heart Tuesdays. What's on your heart?

Comments

  1. Gosh, this struck a chord!
    Thank you for putting into words what I often struggle to identify!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed - the joy of the Lord is our strength. Good for you!

    Blessings to you - Marsha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish there really was an EASY button to push sometimes but then how would we grow in the Lord? There is a reason that path is so narrow, it's not for the faint of heart. LOL!
    This was a beautiful post my friend but I do hope your road gets fixed quickly!
    HUGS
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mary -

    Thank you. This massaged my heart.
    Precious joy from GOD is delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Appreciate this post. It is true, we learn through our struggles. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was so good, Mary. Really a timely message for me.

    There's this intersection in our city, next to a church. There's a sign, with two street names. One turns into the church, the other into a dump area. One says "Purpose Way" and the other says "Rocky Road." Kinda sums it up, huh?!

    So, yes - trying to have patience and faith through the detours that God brings to my life. There's a PURPOSE in it all.

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

Grandparent's Day!

So here it is, the first Sunday after Labor Day or as I refer to it, Grandparent's Day! I arrived in Tucson a week ago.  Twelve year old Amy and excitable Jasper greeted me at the front door.  Smiley Amy looked so happy.  Then she said:  "I'm happy you are here.  Her sister, Susanna, stood next in the greeting line with big hugs.  It's been eight months since I've seen them.  My, they grow so fast. Susanna is a senior this year.  I love hearing about the colleges she visited during summer and the ones she hopes to apply for this fall.  Her mom and I have been watching Downtown Abbey with her, and of course, enjoying late evening tea with the actors in the movie. Amy continues to rock math.  This year, she's been chosen to be her teacher's assistant.  She is very responsible and the one I ask to help at the house when her parents travel.  Amy plays worship music for her dog, Star, who is recovering from Valley Fever.  It wo...