Skip to main content

An Out-of-the-Ordinary Holiday





Family faces are magic mirrors looking at people who belong to us, we see the past, present, and future.
-- Gail Lumet Buckley




After cooking a full Seder meal at Passover, I hung my apron up in the kitchen and packed for an unconventional Easter Weekend. Our road trip to California was filled with tons of songs on the IPOD, favorite coffee stops and beautiful spring weather and best of all, no cooking in the kitchen.

In San Diego, we stayed at The Lafayette Hotel and were we surprised that a Blues Festival was going on in town! We got back to the lobby on Friday night and the place was blaring with Johnny Mastro and the Poor Boys, one of my husband’s favorite bands.

The majority of our time was family togetherness. Families mirror each other and it fascinates me how we see ourselves in each other. Our emotions ran high with delight as we decorated eggs and hid them, played in the park, toured the old Point Loma Lighthouse, went to the zoo and Balboa Park, watched the live link of the Easter service at The Rock, ate out at our favorite restaurants, and enjoyed the ocean breezes on our faces. We created a wonderful Easter memory and a most unconventional one for me!
















Comments

  1. Sounds DIVINE! The Joy on your faces speaks volumes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful blessing! So glad you had such a great time.

    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sooo happy to hear of your precious times, Mary!
    I love this quote by Gail Buckley ... it's a keeper. (and so are YOU!)

    Hugs,
    Myra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful family, beautiful scenery, beautiful holiday!

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi -

    Glad you had joyous family fun!

    Blessings to you and yours, dear lady of GOD!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness; that baby is growing up so fast. What a doll!

    I'd love to participate in a Seder for Passover. I lean more in that direction and less in the Easter one. Big difference ...

    Hugs,
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

Grandparent's Day!

So here it is, the first Sunday after Labor Day or as I refer to it, Grandparent's Day! I arrived in Tucson a week ago.  Twelve year old Amy and excitable Jasper greeted me at the front door.  Smiley Amy looked so happy.  Then she said:  "I'm happy you are here.  Her sister, Susanna, stood next in the greeting line with big hugs.  It's been eight months since I've seen them.  My, they grow so fast. Susanna is a senior this year.  I love hearing about the colleges she visited during summer and the ones she hopes to apply for this fall.  Her mom and I have been watching Downtown Abbey with her, and of course, enjoying late evening tea with the actors in the movie. Amy continues to rock math.  This year, she's been chosen to be her teacher's assistant.  She is very responsible and the one I ask to help at the house when her parents travel.  Amy plays worship music for her dog, Star, who is recovering from Valley Fever.  It wo...