Skip to main content

Friday Funnies ~ Church Ladies Dinner


A group of country friends from the Bluffton Church wanted to get together on a regular basis, socialize, and play games. The lady of the house was to prepare the meal. When it came time for Al and Janet to be the hosts - Janet wanted to outdo all the others. So Janet decided to have mushroom-smothered steak. However, knowing that mushrooms are so expensive, she told her husband, 'No mushrooms -- they are too high.' He said, 'Why don't you go down in the pasture and pick some of those mushrooms? here are plenty in the creek bed.' She said, 'No, some wild mushrooms are poison'. 'He said, ' Well, I see varmints eating them and they’re okay.' So Janet decided to give it a try. She picked a bunch -- washed, sliced, and diced them for her smothered steak. Then she went out on the back porch and gave Ol' Spot (the yard dog) a double handful. Ol' Spot ate every bite. All morning long, Janet watched Ol' Spot and the wild mushrooms didn't seem to affect him, so she decided to use them.

The meal was a great success, and Janet even hired a helper lady from town to help her serve. She even had on a white apron and a fancy little cap on her head. After everyone had finished, they relaxed, socialized, and played Mexican dominoes. About then, the helper lady from town came in and whispered in Janet's ear. She said, 'Mrs. Williams, Ol' Spot just died.' Janet went into hysterics. After she finally calmed down, she called the doctor and told him what had happened. The doctor said, 'That's bad, but I think we can take care of it. I will call for an ambulance and I will be there as quick as possible. We'll give everyone enemas and we will pump out everyone's stomach. Everything will be fine. Just keep them calm.'

Soon they could hear the siren as the ambulance was coming down the road. The EMTs & the doctor had their suitcases, syringes, and a stomach pump. One by one, they took each person into the bathroom, gave them an enema, and pumped out their stomach. After the last one was finished, the doctor came out and said, 'I think everything will be fine now,' and he left.

They were all looking pretty weak sitting around the living room and about this time, the helper lady came in and said, 'You know, that fellow that ran over Ol' Spot never even stopped.'

Happy Friday! For more Friday Funnies, join Kim at Homesteader's Heart!

Comments

  1. Oh my! What an ordeal to go through for nothing! Enema? It's surely not fun at all. This is so funny. You always find the great ones to share. This 90 year old facial wrinkles do get straightened out!!!

    Have a great weekend sister. God bless you always. Remembering you in prayers, same with your precious family. Love you in Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH NO! That's funny! I think I would have taken my chances rather than having someone else give me an enema and having my stomach pumped. LOL!

    Have a fabulous Friday my friend.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so classic and I wondered if perhaps Spot got his in the end in another way besides his love of mushrooms, however he certainly did have a great meal before he did.

    Thanks for making my morning and sharing this laughter with all of us. Have an amazing and blessed weekend.

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my... very funny.. I will have to tell my family!

    Love to you
    Kelly
    I've Become My Mother

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no...how funny! Bet they never eat at her house again. Thanks for the laugh! :)

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is too funny! Be blessed, have a good weekend, don't eat wild mushrooms or play in the street!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

Grandparent's Day!

So here it is, the first Sunday after Labor Day or as I refer to it, Grandparent's Day! I arrived in Tucson a week ago.  Twelve year old Amy and excitable Jasper greeted me at the front door.  Smiley Amy looked so happy.  Then she said:  "I'm happy you are here.  Her sister, Susanna, stood next in the greeting line with big hugs.  It's been eight months since I've seen them.  My, they grow so fast. Susanna is a senior this year.  I love hearing about the colleges she visited during summer and the ones she hopes to apply for this fall.  Her mom and I have been watching Downtown Abbey with her, and of course, enjoying late evening tea with the actors in the movie. Amy continues to rock math.  This year, she's been chosen to be her teacher's assistant.  She is very responsible and the one I ask to help at the house when her parents travel.  Amy plays worship music for her dog, Star, who is recovering from Valley Fever.  It wo...