Skip to main content

Spiritual Sundays ~ Shalom!



On Monday at sunset we will celebrate our Jewish Roots for the 27th year with a Passover Seder. We have a lot of memories over the years and I always look forward to eating this special meal with its unique foods and order of celebration.

One of my favorite memories over the years is the hiding of the Afikomen matza. The Rabbi, or my husband in our home, places three pieces of matza (unleavened bread) in three pockets of a bag called the Afikomen. The Afikomen is placed on the table with other elements. At the beginning of the Seder, the rabbi removes the middle matza, breaks it in half, and hides the half in a linen napkin somewhere in the room. Towards the end of the night, just after the Seder meal is eaten, the rabbi turns to the youngest person, usually a child, and asks him to find the hidden matza. He then rewards the child usually with some chocolate candy. We’ve asked Jewish people why this is part of the ritual and most reply that they do not know what it represents. I’ve read that because the meal is lengthy with scripture readings and songs and food, younger children get sleepy and the ritual gives them something to look forward to with excitement.

My husband teaches that the Afikomen represents the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. The middle piece, or the Son, is Jesus. He was broken and died for the sins of men. He was buried in a linen cloth and rose from the dead. Jesus set us free! When we think of the Passover Seder representing our freedom, we pause here and reflect on our Savior (as the child discovers the broken piece of unleaved bread, matza, hidden.) My husband teaches that our Passover Seders are complete because we know what our savior represents. The youngest in the group, even a small child, can find him.

Isn’t it just like Jesus to be found so easily that even a child can receive Him? In fact he tells us that in order to inherit the kingdom of God we must become like a child!

Then he said, "I tell you the truth, unless you turn from your sins and become like little children, you will never get into the Kingdom of Heaven. Matt 18:3, The New Living Translation

As we enter into the Passover holiday, we are praying for those who need a savior and that they will find Jesus. We are praying for the peace and protection of Jerusalem.

Shalom!

Spiritual Sundays is hosted by Charlotte and Ginger.

Comments

  1. Beautiful! I have learned much today. Thank you for sharing.
    Blessings,
    Bren

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post! Thank you SO much for sharing. I'm so appreciative of you...for many reasons...Every time I read a post from your blog my heart is always encouraged! Thank you SO much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely post sweet friend, love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, thank you so much for sharing this tradition with us. I loved everything about your post, including the music. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never knew that...thanks for sharing. Please share more with us as you can. I love learning more about this! Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary, you have written a beautiful post! Lovely music as well. I so enjoy hearing about our Jewish friends and their beliefs. Thank you and have a wonderful weekend celebration and a wonderful Easter week.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  7. as a Jew....I love this. Happy Passover. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just the title alone had me! "Shalom"...Nothing like peace that comes from knowing Jesus.

    I love what each act represented. But I love the finale the most...of the youngest child finding the unleavened bread. Jesus...Bread of Life...Sinless. I enjoyed the background music, too. I remember you had this last year and it's always nice to be able to be reminded year, after year...Have a blessed week sister Mary as we celebrate the death and resurrection of our Savior. Love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Mary, this is wonderfully written -- you have such a knack of drawing us in, allowing us to see and feel your moments. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A very interesting post, Dear, thank you. Have a blessed week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful post!
    A blessed Passover Holiday.

    Regina

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shalom to you as well. Thank you for sharing the Jewish tradition. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a exciting celebration. I learned something new. Thank-you for sharing this tradition with us.
    God Bless,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful post. The music is perfect for it and makes it even more meaningful. Thank you for sharing this.
    Blessings for the week ahead.
    Shalom!
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello, Mary,
    I wanted to let you know that I've left a little something for you over at my blog.
    http://bitsandpieces-dianna.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful post! I thank you so much for sharing this with us. May God richly bless you today and every day!

    Happy Palm Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so interesting Mary! Thank you for sharing.

    Love!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  18. I so love our Jewish heritage in Christ. I've never observed a Passover, but I've been to a Messianic Community for the Feast of Tabernacles.

    By the way, Debbie from Heart Choices and I are thinking about driving up your way one day and grabbing lunch. I've got guests here through April 11, so I'm hoping sometime mid-to-late April. Will you be around?

    Blessings,
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  19. Shalom, indeed! Peace has arrived in the form of Jesus Christ. I love the tradition of the Passover, even though it's not been part of my upbringing. Regardless, it's part of my spiritual lineage, and I feel so honored and blessed to be part of this deeply significant ritual of heritage.

    Blessed Easter week to you and yours.

    peace~elaine

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for this beautiful post. I have been so enlightened as I've attended Seder suppers in the past.

    My daughter is attending her senior year of college in Jerusalem this year so this post is really neat to me.

    Have a blessed Seder!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This was so special and meaningful! First the music and then the traditions and celebrations. What a beautiful posting!

    I had a Jewish Christian roomate in college at Westmont in Santa Barbara... she was such a joy!! When a Jewish person becomes a believer, look out!!

    This was just wonderful! Thanks for sharing.

    Love,
    Sonja

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh how I love this!! Thank you so much for sharing!!

    Blessings upon you and yours this week, Sweet Mary!

    Shalom!
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this rhetorical question..."Isn’t it just like Jesus to be found so easily that even a child can receive Him?" I love your 'roots'!!!! Praise God! Thank you for sharing! You are so lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

Grandparent's Day!

So here it is, the first Sunday after Labor Day or as I refer to it, Grandparent's Day! I arrived in Tucson a week ago.  Twelve year old Amy and excitable Jasper greeted me at the front door.  Smiley Amy looked so happy.  Then she said:  "I'm happy you are here.  Her sister, Susanna, stood next in the greeting line with big hugs.  It's been eight months since I've seen them.  My, they grow so fast. Susanna is a senior this year.  I love hearing about the colleges she visited during summer and the ones she hopes to apply for this fall.  Her mom and I have been watching Downtown Abbey with her, and of course, enjoying late evening tea with the actors in the movie. Amy continues to rock math.  This year, she's been chosen to be her teacher's assistant.  She is very responsible and the one I ask to help at the house when her parents travel.  Amy plays worship music for her dog, Star, who is recovering from Valley Fever.  It wo...