Skip to main content

The Hunger to Belong ~ Bible Study 3

If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free. John 8:31,32

In keeping up with the Bible Study from two weeks ago, we pick up again in Study #3 from Sheila Walsh’s book, Beautiful Things Happen When A Woman Trusts God. Today’s study is called “The Hunger to Belong.”

Sheila says: “What I have learned is that freedom and transparency walk hand in hand. To the level that we are willing to be known, to be seen, then at that depth we can be set free from the things that have defined us apart from Christ. It is risky to be known but it is what we were made for and anything less is not freedom. You will know the truth and the truth will set you free. It is a promise!”

“The Strength of the fatherless was crushed. Therefore snares are all around you, and sudden fear troubles you.” Job 22:9,10.

Describe a situation when your words have been similar to the words in the verse above.

My response: In this verse of scripture, Eliphaz brought unreasonable accusations against Job of harming others with his wealth and power. I have seen people abuse their authority both in the church and in the world. I had a situation happen to me last year that was similar to the background of this scripture. Like Job, I was broken in spirit and one of my girlfriends with an “Eliphaz Spirit” appeared on the scene. I asked God if I should visit her in my distress and when I didn’t hear the okay, I made an appointment to visit her anyway because I knew she was a seasoned woman of God with a reputation to pray powerfully. For whatever reason, when I arrived at her home the first point that she made was that I should ask God to deliver me. She perceived that in my leadership, I was very controlling! Yikes! I am a strong leader, but I did not receive her accusation. I made a firm decision to overlook the offense and focus on my prayer time with her taking the good in that meeting with me and leaving behind the rest knowing that if God was in that accusation, I was so humbled and broken I would have known it.

There, of course, have been times I have spoken out of turn in leading groups in the past and I have had to go to any that I have hurt and ask forgiveness. So I couldn’t hold any resentment against this gal, for I have been forgiven much and decided to forgive her instantly. That was to my benefit.

If God knows everything about us, why is it important that we be transparent before Him?

My response: I think my transparency before God sets me free to be who I am and receive His love and acceptance resulting in more freedom with God. I think this is true with others, also. My transparency allows others to be free to be transparent.

What comes to mind when you think about belonging? Be honest about your feelings.

My response: When I think of belonging my first thought is being accepted.

Describe a time when you have listened to a song or watched a scene in a movie and suddenly you are overwhelmed by feelings out of proportion to what is happening around you. How did that experience make you feel? What do you think God is trying to say to you in these experiences?

My response: Just yesterday I got a call from my daughter telling me about a worship experience at her church service where a praise song brought strong emotion upon her resulting in a manifestation of God’s phenomenal love for her. I couldn’t place the song even after she spoke the buzz words…like a hurricane, a tree bending…amazing love…so she emailed me the song. After listening to David Crowder’s “How He Loves”, I was weeping too! Oh, how the Lord loves us and longs to tell us “we’re accepted!”

Leave it to Sheila Walsh to write such a heartwarming Bible study to challenge us to come up higher and face some things in ourselves and be set free by the Lord! Thank you, Kat, at Heart2Heart for presenting this study today. Kat has more for you on her blog regarding this topic.

Comments

  1. Mary, this does sound like a good study. I was able to download Sheila Walsh's book online but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. But after reading little bits about it, it sounds like it's worth the time.

    blessings and love,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds wonderful my friend!

    What a wonderful revelation -- GOD'S LOVE!

    (((hugs)))
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's such great freedom in transparency. No secrets. No hidden agendas. And you're right: being transparent affords others an invitation to be likewise. It's the only way intimacy is established and grows.

    God bless you!
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Heavenly Father is always faithful to heal my heart and hold me tight when I am surrounded by the enemy....wounded and weary!
    Blessings, andrea

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found your blog at Kat's. This sounds like an amazing study!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that song "How He loves" too. I think that the most important thing for us to grow in our relationship with Him is the depth of His love for us. So many times people talk about how much we should love God and do for God and live for God and the focus seems to be on us doing instead of us receiving His heart of love for us in spite of any of those things. He loves us!!!!! So so so much!! And the more we know that and experience it, the more we will respond in that love back toward Him and our actions will be resulted from that. And, instead of trying to make ourselves more worthy of His acceptance, we enjoy more and more fullness of it because of Who He is and not what we have done. You are right! There is so much freedom there. Freedom to be real because He loves us just like we are!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary,

    This is such a wonderful place that this study has led you to. So many beautiful things are beginning to happen and we have only just begun! I can't wait to see what God will reveal to all of us participating in this by the time the study is complete.

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Because He Lives, I Can Move

I’m currently in one of those places where you lay out all the options and then you make the best decision. It seems, however, like none of the choices are fair or attractive. I know God will help me in my situation because I desire His guidance. I’m clinging to His Word which promises that ALL things work together for good for those that love God and are called according to His purpose, Romans 8:28. I heard a great teaching this week about seeking God’s will and all the freedom that surrender brings. We can know that God is bringing about a victory if we trust Him with each and every decision. The speaker illustrated his point with a famous painting. The painting depicts a look of despair on the chess player’s face. He’s playing Satan and his soul is at stake. It looks like Satan is winning. Checkmate! When Paul Morphy saw this painting back in the 1800’s, he set up a chess board and aligned the pieces to reflect the painting. Being a world champion, he studied the board. His conclusi

Humor for the Bride and Groom

A young couple decided to wed.  As the big day approached, they grew apprehensive.  Each had a problem they had never before shared with anyone, not even each other. The Groom-to-be, overcoming his fear, decided to ask his father for advice.   "Father," he said, "I am deeply concerned about the success of my marriage."  His father replied, "Don't you love this girl?"   "Oh yes, very much," he said," but you see, I have very smelly feet, and I'm afraid that my fiancĂ© will be put off by them."  "No problem," said dad, "all you have to do is wash your feet as often as possible, and always wear socks, even to bed."   Well, to him this seemed a workable solution. The bride-to-be, overcoming her fear, decided to take her problem up with her mom."  Mom," she said, "When I wake up in the morning my breath is truly awful."  "Honey," her mother consoled, "everyone has

A Veteran's Story

  I noticed Bill sitting in our local park where I walk.   He glanced my way just as I finished the last exercise walk song on my playlist.   He shouted and pointed to my car:   “Hey, is that your car with the Nam front license plate?   I stepped closer into the veranda where Bill sat on a picnic bench.   I noticed his Vietnam Vet cap and instantly I knew why I walked there that day.   The Marine Vet served during the 1960’s, the same time span as my husband.   Bill talked a lot about the war evoking my emotions from laughter to tears.   My South Vietnam front plate often prompts a conversation with a stranger and I’ve learned a deep respect for it over the years.   It is my way of listening to a veteran.   I enjoyed listening to Bill.   He made me laugh in spots but he made me cry as well.   Like when he talked about the sandwich lady.   “Do you ever eat at the sandwich shop in the gas station down the street?”   I replied that I’ve order coffee once in that place with a turke