Skip to main content

Beautiful Things Happen When A Woman Trusts God ~ Bible Study Lesson Two


Sheila Walsh presents the topic of brokenness in the second chapter of her Bible Study that is related to her new book. A special thanks to Kat for hosting this Bible Study in depth and challenging all of us to take a look at the Word of God with regard to our need for deliverance of brokenness today on her blog, Heart to Heart.

Isaiah 43: 18-19:
18: “Forget the former things;
do not dwell on the past.
19: See, I am doing a new thing!
Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?
I am making a way in the desert
and streams in the wasteland.

Here are some thoughts I have with regard to this verse and brokenness: This passage tells me that God delivered me in the past, therefore, I can now embrace what He is doing in the present. He rescued me before. He can do it again! He will heal me of anything that is broke in me or in my life. He is in control of it.

Luke 4: 18-21

18: “The Spirit of the Lord is on me,
because he has anointed me
to preach good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners
and recovery of sight for the blind,
to release the oppressed,
19 to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.”
20Then he rolled up the scroll, gave it back to the attendant and sat down. The eyes of everyone in the synagogue were fastened on him, 21: and he began by saying to them, “Today this scripture is fulfilled in your hearing.”

My observation: Jesus' ministry targets here the brokenhearted--the poor--the captive--the blind and those oppressed. Sheila asks us to consider "how does this passage speak to my life?"

I have experienced the touch of Jesus on my life during brokenness and because He has delivered me so many times in the past, I can ask boldly in any situation for His help because I know He shows up. He'll put the broken pieces together and in a sturdier way, too. How so?

About five years ago, I sold a home to a customer who proved to be a shyster. I fell into his traps of friendliness and need. I even prayed for him and his family when life threw them a curve ball. At work, I listened endlessly to his stories of woe and gave him my undivided attention. Little did I know that he was baiting me for information to use against me in the sales contract and when silence finally came and I was given a respite of peace, I learned he was calling my boss regularly, waging war against me. My boss' lawyer came on board to defend my character. In my prayer times, I called out to the Lord and learned that "The Lord is a Warrior; The Lord is His name!" Exodus 15:3! He rescued me from brokenness and set me free from captivity. I learned to declare His Word over my situation and soon enough, this customer was silenced. His evil reputation became know throughout the company. I later learned that we were just one of the many companies he dragged into court to make money in his role as a victim. That was how he maintained his lifestyle.

It's time in this lesson to fill in the missing blanks: Because Jesus said_____; I will ______.

Because Jesus said: no weapon forged against you will prevail, and you will refute every tongue that accuses you. This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord, and this is their vindication from me,” declares the Lord, I will defend you.

My prayer today: I praise you, Lord, for every time that you have pulled me out of trouble. You have shown me great kindness repeatedly. Your Word is a weapon for the discouraged and brokenhearted and your Spirit is the greatest comfort I can have. I wave your banner high; You alone are worthy to be worshipped.

Comments

  1. Sue,

    What a powerful message God delivered to you through this study. WOW I feel empowered through His spirit in this post!

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Sue! Thank you for your kind comments this evening. Reading your post, I was amazed at the work of the Holy Spirit and how He speaks and confirms God's word to us. So many times, we are upset when the enemy pulls into battle. But, if the Lord is on our side, who can be against us?

    Awesome testimony!

    Love,

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, the minute I left your blog, I realized I called you "Sue." I don't know why in the world I did that, but I am so sorry!!! I know your name very well!

    Please forgive me!

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praising GOD that HE is faithful to step into our brokenness and heal and restore us.
    Thank you for being you. I am so sorry this person did this to you.
    Hugs, andrea

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such an inspiring post, love you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

Grandparent's Day!

So here it is, the first Sunday after Labor Day or as I refer to it, Grandparent's Day! I arrived in Tucson a week ago.  Twelve year old Amy and excitable Jasper greeted me at the front door.  Smiley Amy looked so happy.  Then she said:  "I'm happy you are here.  Her sister, Susanna, stood next in the greeting line with big hugs.  It's been eight months since I've seen them.  My, they grow so fast. Susanna is a senior this year.  I love hearing about the colleges she visited during summer and the ones she hopes to apply for this fall.  Her mom and I have been watching Downtown Abbey with her, and of course, enjoying late evening tea with the actors in the movie. Amy continues to rock math.  This year, she's been chosen to be her teacher's assistant.  She is very responsible and the one I ask to help at the house when her parents travel.  Amy plays worship music for her dog, Star, who is recovering from Valley Fever.  It wo...