Skip to main content

Thankful Thursday - Wisdom


I spent the day in Prescott, AZ, today with my husband. On our way home, we stopped for lunch in the shopping mall. I got a massage and he purchased some dress shirts for work. We were amazed that so few shoppers were out and about in that huge mall. We felt a little blue to see that this economy has wiped out so many businesses and put so many people out of work. Those that still have a job are hanging on to their money and not spending it which is probably wise. These times are unsure times for consumers. It felt lonely to shop in the stores. It was a strange feeling not have to wait in long lines at the cash register. The vast parking lot held only a few cars here and there.

Today our Thankful Thursday focus is wisdom. I am very thankful that I grabbed a Christian teaching on CD this morning and jammed it in my purse on my way out the door. On our long drive home this afternoon, we listened to the CD. The teacher eloquently spoke of being focused in our faith during these trying times that we are all going through in our nation. It was uplifting to hear the wisdom of scriptures that reminded us that the only righteousness we have is in Christ. We are not righteous because we go to church, but righteous people go to church. We are not righteous because we tithe, but righteous people tithe, and so on. It did our hearts good to be reminded that God is still God in a failing economy. It felt good to remember that God is always faithful and he doesn’t change. And it felt good to be challenged to fight the good fight of faith in good times and in bad. I am thankful that I heard words of wisdom spoken into our lives today that God takes care of His children and that we don’t have to be afraid. But we do have to live for Him, and that takes faith.

You will find more Thankful Thursday posts on Lynn’s blog. Be blessed!

Comments

  1. Thanks for counting your blessings sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only we could see His big picture, we'd certainly have no worries. It's when I get my eyes on some concern and not on Him that I stew.

    This is such a great reminder!

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't get to hop by yesterday. Thank you for stopping by my blog. It's always good to "visit" with you. It is so true and yet so hard - knowing God is Sovereign and these times aren't a surprise to Him. My mother even just mentioned how hard it is to "stay good." Thanks for the reminder to keep looking up instead of around at all that's going on! Blessings and have a beautiful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! may you have a nice day! May you'll greatly blessed as you praise God for every blessings that he poured out unto you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

Grandparent's Day!

So here it is, the first Sunday after Labor Day or as I refer to it, Grandparent's Day! I arrived in Tucson a week ago.  Twelve year old Amy and excitable Jasper greeted me at the front door.  Smiley Amy looked so happy.  Then she said:  "I'm happy you are here.  Her sister, Susanna, stood next in the greeting line with big hugs.  It's been eight months since I've seen them.  My, they grow so fast. Susanna is a senior this year.  I love hearing about the colleges she visited during summer and the ones she hopes to apply for this fall.  Her mom and I have been watching Downtown Abbey with her, and of course, enjoying late evening tea with the actors in the movie. Amy continues to rock math.  This year, she's been chosen to be her teacher's assistant.  She is very responsible and the one I ask to help at the house when her parents travel.  Amy plays worship music for her dog, Star, who is recovering from Valley Fever.  It wo...