Skip to main content

Out From Under the Covers


I thought it was so neat when the main character, Jody, in the novel, The Yada Yada Prayer Group, would give a birthday card to the woman in her prayer group celebrating her special day. Jodi always wrote out the meaning of the woman’s name in the card as a special way of celebrating her.

I thought about the significance of names. In my family, my mother’s name, Sophie, means wisdom. She named my sister, Judy which means praise. I named my daughter Amy, which means beloved and my daughter, Carrie means strength. This name stuff reminded me of studies I attended years ago of Women in the Bible. It always amazed me how my teacher would feature a character and explain the meaning of the person’s name. I’ll never forget studying Naomi and how she named her sons, Mahlon which means sickly and Chillon which means puny. What kind of parent would name their kids like that?

When I learned the meaning of my name, I wanted to hide under the covers for the rest of my life. My mother named me Mary, a Hebrew name which means bitterness. Yikes! That’s worse than puny and sickly, Naomi’s boys. Oh, but then I remembered Jesus and how he walked the earth changing people’s names and calling them forth to what they could be. Was there hope for me? I asked him if He would change my name. It doesn’t hurt to ask. Remember when He changed Peter’s name from Simon to Cephas?

About two weeks later, I got an email that seemed to drop forth from heaven. In my email inbox was the day’s Girlfriends in God devotional written by Mary Southerland. She wrote a beautiful piece about the meaning of Psalm 40:2-3:
I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire. He set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the Lord.”

Mary shared times she’d been in the pit in her life and how God rescued her from depression. When somebody asked her recently if she is totally set free, she responded this way: “I have asked God to take this struggle out of my life but he said no. Why? I don’t pretend to know all the reasons, but I do know that my name, Mary, means “bitter, but when broken, sweet”. She went on to say how her battle keeps her broken, close to God depending on him. So that’s what the authentic meaning is of my Hebrew name! As soon as I finished her devotional, I wrote Mary and she wrote me back! Praise the Lord!
I like my name now! I’ve been resurrected from under the covers. Jesus called me forth. Now I understand that in my brokenness, I’m dependent on Him. It is good that He keeps me humble and useful for His kingdom.

Do you know the meaning of your name? I hope you feel special today.
Don’t forget to visit here http://bloggerspirit.blogspot.com/and be inspired today by some wonderful writers!

Comments

  1. I'm so glad that you found this devotional to read. It is funny how things just come when we need it the most.
    Thank-you for sharing this story today.
    God Bless,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Southerland's busband, Dan, was my pastor for many years. I remember when Mary went through that dark time. She's a sweetie, isn't she?

    ReplyDelete
  3. God is always on time, he sent that when you needed it the most, what an Awesome God we serve.!! Thank you for sharing.
    Blessings,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can remember when I didn't especially care for the name Mary but I feel differently about it now. The first thing that comes to my mind is the fact that Jesus' mother's name was Mary. It can't get much better than that.
    When babies are dedicated at our church, the person officiating always gives the meaning of their first name and their middle name. I think that is pretty neat.
    Have a great day Mary.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a wonderful post... though I must admit that my mind wandered off and began to wonder... "what does my name mean"... By the way, I love your name, Mary, regardless of it's meaning.

    My name... it means "from the south"...
    My christened name is French and means "God will increase"... hummm, now thats more to ponder.

    but mostly, I loved in your post the way God answered you via email. Now that was something! ;)
    blessings. Dixie

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are special regardless of your given name. You are a child of God! Yes, you are special--very special! Thanks for posting these good words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing as I have always had trouble with my name. My mothers name is Mary and she named me Karyl (Carol) and people are always pronouncing it Karl-- well how many female Karls do you know -- this hurts my feelings and seems I am always having to correct the spelling as well as how it is pronounced -- Your devotion meant a lot! And I am a blonde blue eyed person incase you might wonder! Blessings to you-- so glad to know others have name troubles-- it is your identity!
    Karyl(Carol)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your name is special for the simple fact that it was Jesus' mother's name. You are the beloved of the Lord and He has a new name for you! In the meantime, you are a blessing to others and that is more important than any name. Have a wonderful day and a blessed week in Him.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am new here! What a great blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great post today!

    I, too really looked at significance in a name when naming my children. My Mother and daughter's name are Mary. I have always loved this gentle name!

    We named our son Jacob when my husband's brother died. His name means "supplanter - one who takes the place of" We never imagined the significance that Jacob's name would play out in his life.
    As the years have gone by we have noticed certain struggles that he is going through - I am drawn back to the Biblical story of Jacob's struggle with the angel at the Ford of the Jabbok. I hope and pray that his walk with the Lord will deepen and that as Jacob in the Bible struggled, that my son will come back to the ONE who puts our struggles to rest.

    Thank you for sharing the importance of a name!
    Blessings on your day today,
    Kymber

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a little late with my replies. Glad I didn't miss yours.

    I think my name means pure. I hope I have lived up to it most of the time!

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Because He Lives, I Can Move

I’m currently in one of those places where you lay out all the options and then you make the best decision. It seems, however, like none of the choices are fair or attractive. I know God will help me in my situation because I desire His guidance. I’m clinging to His Word which promises that ALL things work together for good for those that love God and are called according to His purpose, Romans 8:28. I heard a great teaching this week about seeking God’s will and all the freedom that surrender brings. We can know that God is bringing about a victory if we trust Him with each and every decision. The speaker illustrated his point with a famous painting. The painting depicts a look of despair on the chess player’s face. He’s playing Satan and his soul is at stake. It looks like Satan is winning. Checkmate! When Paul Morphy saw this painting back in the 1800’s, he set up a chess board and aligned the pieces to reflect the painting. Being a world champion, he studied the board. His conclusi

Humor for the Bride and Groom

A young couple decided to wed.  As the big day approached, they grew apprehensive.  Each had a problem they had never before shared with anyone, not even each other. The Groom-to-be, overcoming his fear, decided to ask his father for advice.   "Father," he said, "I am deeply concerned about the success of my marriage."  His father replied, "Don't you love this girl?"   "Oh yes, very much," he said," but you see, I have very smelly feet, and I'm afraid that my fiancĂ© will be put off by them."  "No problem," said dad, "all you have to do is wash your feet as often as possible, and always wear socks, even to bed."   Well, to him this seemed a workable solution. The bride-to-be, overcoming her fear, decided to take her problem up with her mom."  Mom," she said, "When I wake up in the morning my breath is truly awful."  "Honey," her mother consoled, "everyone has

A Veteran's Story

  I noticed Bill sitting in our local park where I walk.   He glanced my way just as I finished the last exercise walk song on my playlist.   He shouted and pointed to my car:   “Hey, is that your car with the Nam front license plate?   I stepped closer into the veranda where Bill sat on a picnic bench.   I noticed his Vietnam Vet cap and instantly I knew why I walked there that day.   The Marine Vet served during the 1960’s, the same time span as my husband.   Bill talked a lot about the war evoking my emotions from laughter to tears.   My South Vietnam front plate often prompts a conversation with a stranger and I’ve learned a deep respect for it over the years.   It is my way of listening to a veteran.   I enjoyed listening to Bill.   He made me laugh in spots but he made me cry as well.   Like when he talked about the sandwich lady.   “Do you ever eat at the sandwich shop in the gas station down the street?”   I replied that I’ve order coffee once in that place with a turke