Skip to main content

Talking Straight

While sitting at Sky Harbor waiting for my plane this morning, I thought about the presidential debate last night. It's going to sound crazy, but I kept thinking about McCain's bus, The Straight Talk Express. The focus of the campaign slogan is to cut all the fancy jibberish and get to the point. Then I got a bright idea. I need to apply this concept to my prayer life. I need to do more straight talk with God. I need to get to point and tell Him just how I feel about everything that concerns me. With still a half hour wait for the plane, I reached into my purse for my latest issue of David Wilkerson's newsletter. In a nutshell, Wilkerson gives some uplifting tips to his down-hearted readers who are feeling the pinch of this economic downward spiral. The first tip is to pray instead of panic. You'll feel a lot better when you talk to God about it. My thoughts exactly..straight talk. The second tip was love people unconditionally. Wilkerson reminded me how holding on to offenses blocks that big blessing God wants to pour out on me.

I like boarding Southwest Airlines. No assigned seats, you can sit anywhere you please. I felt led to select a seat next to a mid 30's business woman traveling solo just like me. We started yaking and the flight to San Diego felt like five minutes. Here's the kicker: Melissa mentioned she loves her new Bible Study group under the direction of Beth Moore. I could just picture Beth Moore as Melissa described her stressing the need for us to pray telling God "just how it is...what we're feeling, what our attitudes are...spill it out to Him!

Okay, okay, I get it; I'm convinced. No more fancy schmanchy rhetoric. He's not impressed. God wants straight talk. I get it. I'm riding that bus.

Jeremiah 29:12
Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

Grandparent's Day!

So here it is, the first Sunday after Labor Day or as I refer to it, Grandparent's Day! I arrived in Tucson a week ago.  Twelve year old Amy and excitable Jasper greeted me at the front door.  Smiley Amy looked so happy.  Then she said:  "I'm happy you are here.  Her sister, Susanna, stood next in the greeting line with big hugs.  It's been eight months since I've seen them.  My, they grow so fast. Susanna is a senior this year.  I love hearing about the colleges she visited during summer and the ones she hopes to apply for this fall.  Her mom and I have been watching Downtown Abbey with her, and of course, enjoying late evening tea with the actors in the movie. Amy continues to rock math.  This year, she's been chosen to be her teacher's assistant.  She is very responsible and the one I ask to help at the house when her parents travel.  Amy plays worship music for her dog, Star, who is recovering from Valley Fever.  It wo...