Skip to main content

Sunny San Diego



It's so strange to experience Autumn in San Diego with temps in the 70's and strong sunny days, but when I daily walk with Miriam, Carrie's Australian Shepherd/beagle, I'm entertained in this neighborhood with all the fall crafts, wreaths, pumpkins that I see in various front yards. Many "Obama/Biden" signs perched on front lawns remind me I'm in a blue state. I've noticed most Obama signs, too, are erected on homesites portraying gremlins, monsters and white hairy spider webs. Scary, very scary...those Obama signs. To be balanced, I have seen "McCain/Palin" signs on about 3 lawns in an 8 block radius of my walk so there are a few of us here but clearly, we're outnumbered.


It has been wonderful to see my new granddaughter in person and to hold her, kiss her and snuggle with her. Susanna is a delight. Much smaller in person than her pictures, I marvel at her dainty features and long limbs! Carrie is a terrific mom and our days are filled with feedings, lots of laundry, cooking and baking. The neighbors on the block are so attentive and it's fun to meet them. Relatives are visiting, friends are calling and cute cards and gifts are arriving. I had to have a pic of this lovely quilt made by Daisy, the 90 year old next door neighbor. It warms my heart to observe the concern of so many that care about Carrie's welfare as a military spouse. She's doing so well; but, of course, she misses her husband when he is away.

Last Monday a Pediatric Nurse, Gabby, visited us. She represented one of those non-profit organizations that check on first-time moms. She was a kindred spirit with us and we enjoyed some fellowship,too! She weighed Susanna at 9 lbs. 4 oz. so our little Sookie is growing strong!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

Grandparent's Day!

So here it is, the first Sunday after Labor Day or as I refer to it, Grandparent's Day! I arrived in Tucson a week ago.  Twelve year old Amy and excitable Jasper greeted me at the front door.  Smiley Amy looked so happy.  Then she said:  "I'm happy you are here.  Her sister, Susanna, stood next in the greeting line with big hugs.  It's been eight months since I've seen them.  My, they grow so fast. Susanna is a senior this year.  I love hearing about the colleges she visited during summer and the ones she hopes to apply for this fall.  Her mom and I have been watching Downtown Abbey with her, and of course, enjoying late evening tea with the actors in the movie. Amy continues to rock math.  This year, she's been chosen to be her teacher's assistant.  She is very responsible and the one I ask to help at the house when her parents travel.  Amy plays worship music for her dog, Star, who is recovering from Valley Fever.  It wo...