Skip to main content

Small Town Living


I live in a small town, but it wasn’t always that way. I spent the first half of my life in busy Chicago with lots of people and waiting in long lines and hunting for parking spaces. Now I’m living in the center of Arizona in a small community just outside of Sedona. I never have to worry when someone sends my mail by mistake to my physical address instead of post office box because they know me personally and do not return it to sender. It’s comforting, too, to know the staff at the bank so personally. One of the gals bought a house from me and I love to hear to hear how much she likes it. On the way home yesterday, my husband and I attended the Grand Opening at the new Dollar Store just up the road from us. At the checkout, the clerk introduced herself to us and made us feel welcome. My husband, Tom, mentioned the good price of the dog food and said he’d be back tomorrow for more. With that she packed in a coupon. Upon leaving, we noticed that we only had one water container in our bag. We failed to purchase the second one still sitting on the counter and another man was ready to check out. So Tom said he’d get it later. And the clerk replied “get it tomorrow when you come back for the dog food.” This made me laugh. She paid attention; she cared! Do I miss the sea of people and the enthusiasm at museums or the skyscrapers along Lake Michigan? I do. I comfort myself with the beauty of mountains, rodeos, and extraordinary sunsets. It’s good to have experienced the best of both worlds!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Because He Lives, I Can Move

I’m currently in one of those places where you lay out all the options and then you make the best decision. It seems, however, like none of the choices are fair or attractive. I know God will help me in my situation because I desire His guidance. I’m clinging to His Word which promises that ALL things work together for good for those that love God and are called according to His purpose, Romans 8:28. I heard a great teaching this week about seeking God’s will and all the freedom that surrender brings. We can know that God is bringing about a victory if we trust Him with each and every decision. The speaker illustrated his point with a famous painting. The painting depicts a look of despair on the chess player’s face. He’s playing Satan and his soul is at stake. It looks like Satan is winning. Checkmate! When Paul Morphy saw this painting back in the 1800’s, he set up a chess board and aligned the pieces to reflect the painting. Being a world champion, he studied the board. His conclusi

Humor for the Bride and Groom

A young couple decided to wed.  As the big day approached, they grew apprehensive.  Each had a problem they had never before shared with anyone, not even each other. The Groom-to-be, overcoming his fear, decided to ask his father for advice.   "Father," he said, "I am deeply concerned about the success of my marriage."  His father replied, "Don't you love this girl?"   "Oh yes, very much," he said," but you see, I have very smelly feet, and I'm afraid that my fiancé will be put off by them."  "No problem," said dad, "all you have to do is wash your feet as often as possible, and always wear socks, even to bed."   Well, to him this seemed a workable solution. The bride-to-be, overcoming her fear, decided to take her problem up with her mom."  Mom," she said, "When I wake up in the morning my breath is truly awful."  "Honey," her mother consoled, "everyone has

A Veteran's Story

  I noticed Bill sitting in our local park where I walk.   He glanced my way just as I finished the last exercise walk song on my playlist.   He shouted and pointed to my car:   “Hey, is that your car with the Nam front license plate?   I stepped closer into the veranda where Bill sat on a picnic bench.   I noticed his Vietnam Vet cap and instantly I knew why I walked there that day.   The Marine Vet served during the 1960’s, the same time span as my husband.   Bill talked a lot about the war evoking my emotions from laughter to tears.   My South Vietnam front plate often prompts a conversation with a stranger and I’ve learned a deep respect for it over the years.   It is my way of listening to a veteran.   I enjoyed listening to Bill.   He made me laugh in spots but he made me cry as well.   Like when he talked about the sandwich lady.   “Do you ever eat at the sandwich shop in the gas station down the street?”   I replied that I’ve order coffee once in that place with a turke