Skip to main content

Hello August

 


We’re smack in the middle of summer but I will pause and count my blessings this season.  Our arid Arizona days have turned into monsoon rains and we are refreshed.  Triple digits are put on hold for a while and cooler desert mornings allow me longer hours of yard work, especially after the messy, wild storms. 

We’ve always grown hollyhocks, but for some reason, they went dormant the last two years.  I remember Tom on his sickbed reminding me to water the seeds he planted near the fence and, like a crazy lady, I watered what seemed like empty dirt all last year.  Was he confused, maybe?  Come spring I saw the fluffy, green leaves sprout all along the fence line.  I got excited when the different colored flowers opened.  You never know what you're going to get!


As I watered, I thought of the Scripture verse about “calling forth that which is not as though it was.”  Hmm, I should apply that one to several areas of my life!


 


I spent last week with family in Tucson.
  We grilled burgers, watch Netflix, and had a pizza night.  My daughter and her husband joined their friends for a get-a-way and things got interesting for me.  I babysat my youngest granddaughter, Amy, who loves board games and water balloon fights.  Actually, it felt good when she drenched me in the hot 112 degrees! 



Amy invited me to tea with Jasper, the dog and Lily, the unicorn.  We drank lemonade and she served candy bars and chocolate chip cookies.  I will never forget it.

 



I enjoyed Susanna last weekend.  She briefed me on her trip to Europe this summer with her dad and told me she ate kidney pie and crumpets in England.  It was the second time they visited Ireland.  School started early in Arizona this year and she is now enrolled in her freshman year.  Both girls are home schooled!  Where does the time go?




My grandchildren like my flowers are growing fast but today I embrace them and enjoy them.  I won’t think about tomorrow.


 




Baby turns 40 this year and that’s unheard of for a cockatiel.  His cage sits next to my desktop in my office and we start our mornings together with me sipping coffee and he chirping to bird music on You Tube.  My cat, Bonita, is one tough fur baby, too.



 

I named my property!  I told the kids I nixed “Pine Havens.”  It sounds too much like an old people’s home.  I’m going with “Pine Hideaway.”  Now all I need is a sign to hang on one of my many pine trees.

All too soon, summer will fade and fall will arrive.  I’ll be sure to capture it with my cell phone!  Until then, happy summer days.

 


Comments

  1. Refreshed by rains in Arizona summer - that's a blessing. Grandkids are, of course, the greatest blessing. Enjoy them, and your garden's plants!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word, Mary. How your g-girls have grown! I remember Sookie in the high chair and now she's matured into such a lovely young woman. That tea party cracks me up ... and just look at the big smile on your hostesses' face.
    So touching about Tom's seeds. Everything is God's good time.
    Thanks for blessing me this morning, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good afternoon sister. All your pics are lovely, full of love & joy! Your granddaughters!!! How they've grown every time you post something. How hospitable your hostess was!!! What treats!!! 🙏😋😁

    You just have that special touch when it comes to gardening! Lovely plants & flowers.

    Stay strong in the Lord's mighty power! 🙏God bless, strengthen & protect you always🙏

    Bro. Tom just knew. With love & faith, he knew his gift for you would sprout just like that in an unexpected time. God's perfect time. Love & prayers always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely time you spent with your little granddaughter, she is very sweet. We must always make the most of every day, as time is like a puff of smoke, and we don't know what tomorrow brings. Your plants are lovely, I have always loved flowers. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What sweet pictures of you all. I wish I was better at keeping plants alive. I was in sort of in your neck of the woods with friends back in March I think it was.I had gone to Montezuma Castle and Toozigoot( sure I'm spelling it wrong since I don't have my pass in front of me) National Monument which was my first time. Its a beautiful drive up there. I have to go to Cottonwood for a neurology appointment in November. I'm praying there won't be any snow. By the way, I love the name of your property.😍

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely post! 😀 Happy Summer Days to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I enjoyed reading your blog this afternoon. Just blessed me about those flowers blooming!!! Your grands like mine are surely growing up too fast. Treasured memories you all made together sweet lady. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. So happy to see you blogging again Mary! What a sweet blessed time you had with the grandkids, such a wonderful time together! I love the new name for your place, and glad the hollyhock seeds grew into beautiful blooms - I do love those hollyhocks, they are prolific bloomers! Enjoy the cooler weather :) Blessings to you dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Thanksgiving sister! I hardly sign in into blogger so i read your last comment sooo late...

    I didn't pray for that typhoon to weaken. I prayed for all the lies in everything to be exposed in His light and in His perfect time🙏

    Despite all the evilness around us, each day always starts in gratefulness for me because I know & believe that in the end, true justice will come from Him.

    Stay strong in the Lord's mighty power. I know you'll be cooking lots of wonderful meals😋 . God bless & protect you & your family always🙏 love & prayers always from me🙏

    ReplyDelete
  10. This post was about summer and now the year is almost over! 😱🙂

    Happy new year & hope you had a blessed Christmas 🙏✝️🎁

    May this new year bring lots of surprises & answered prayers. Love and prayers always sister. Love you in Christ. 🙏❤️

    “The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face shine on you and be gracious to you; the LORD turn his face toward you and give you peace.” - Numbers 6:24-26

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

Grandparent's Day!

So here it is, the first Sunday after Labor Day or as I refer to it, Grandparent's Day! I arrived in Tucson a week ago.  Twelve year old Amy and excitable Jasper greeted me at the front door.  Smiley Amy looked so happy.  Then she said:  "I'm happy you are here.  Her sister, Susanna, stood next in the greeting line with big hugs.  It's been eight months since I've seen them.  My, they grow so fast. Susanna is a senior this year.  I love hearing about the colleges she visited during summer and the ones she hopes to apply for this fall.  Her mom and I have been watching Downtown Abbey with her, and of course, enjoying late evening tea with the actors in the movie. Amy continues to rock math.  This year, she's been chosen to be her teacher's assistant.  She is very responsible and the one I ask to help at the house when her parents travel.  Amy plays worship music for her dog, Star, who is recovering from Valley Fever.  It wo...