Skip to main content

Hitting the Road

 


My friend, Cindy, offered great advice at the onset of widowhood.  “When friends or family afar invite you to visit them, be sure to accept.” 

Cindy was right.  People like to help, to nurture in times of grief. 

During Tom’s memorial last November, his cousin extended an invitation to me and my girls to visit them and spend a few days.  The time for that special road trip to Las Cruces, N.M., arrived and we couldn’t be more excited to get away together and leave our responsibilities behind.  We loaded up the car with snacks and Starbucks gift cards, along with the fun conversation game, “Talking Point.”  We enjoyed four hours of catching up on everything, listening to Oldies and laughing.



Our family welcomed us at their lovely ranch home which afforded us private rooms to enjoy much rest.  Its fun to stay at another woman’s home and use her hair and shower products, isn’t it?  Excellent homemade cooking blessed our tummies and it felt wonderful to be served. 

We hiked in the beautiful Organ Mountain Range behind their home.  I liked our shopping spree in the old downtown area with cobble streets and quaint stores.  We dined at a classy Mexican restaurant after a drink in one of the prettiest bars I’ve ever seen.






We felt so loved, especially by Molly and Maddie, their two Golden Retrievers. 


 

My heart to heart talks with our cousin's wife, Linda, warmed my soul.  She understands women like me who face “going it alone.”  I liked the stories she shared of her father who lived close by when she was single and helped her with the big projects beyond her strength.

I had a caring father like that who now lives in Heaven with my mom and Tom.  He was one like Linda’s dad who would help out in a heartbeat.  

I’ve been thinking about this and realize I am not fatherless by any means.  My Heavenly Father, whose name is El Shaddai, has an endless supply for gals like me.  I’ve learned to trust and rely on Him for just about everything!  My journals are jam packed with extraordinary answers to my prayers. 

Cindi McMenamin, author of When Women Walk Alone, writes about the importance to fill our emotional tank with the only One able to love us fully, our Creator, Father God:  

“We know from Scripture that God is a jealous God (Exodus 20:4-5) and He will be second to no man in our lives.  He demands and deserves to be first place in our hearts.  To you and me, He wants to be the Man…the One who keeps us from feeling alone at heart.” 

In my quiet hours, Psalm 121 comes to mind.  “I lift up my eyes to the hills.  Where does my help come from?  My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.”  Ps. 121: 1,2 

I am not fatherless.  Good to remember!


Comments

  1. I'm so glad to read this 'backstory' to your FB images, Mary! Your cousin's home sounds like a lovely sanctuary in which to respite. It's been a long time since I enjoyed a girl's road trip; there's nothing like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You all look like you had a wonderful time! What a sweet getaway for you Mary. You look beautiful! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen to not being fatherless Mary, in Jesus we have a wonderful Father - God. Your family reunion was beautiful. One day we will all be reunited with our loved ones.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Because He Lives, I Can Move

I’m currently in one of those places where you lay out all the options and then you make the best decision. It seems, however, like none of the choices are fair or attractive. I know God will help me in my situation because I desire His guidance. I’m clinging to His Word which promises that ALL things work together for good for those that love God and are called according to His purpose, Romans 8:28. I heard a great teaching this week about seeking God’s will and all the freedom that surrender brings. We can know that God is bringing about a victory if we trust Him with each and every decision. The speaker illustrated his point with a famous painting. The painting depicts a look of despair on the chess player’s face. He’s playing Satan and his soul is at stake. It looks like Satan is winning. Checkmate! When Paul Morphy saw this painting back in the 1800’s, he set up a chess board and aligned the pieces to reflect the painting. Being a world champion, he studied the board. His conclusi

Humor for the Bride and Groom

A young couple decided to wed.  As the big day approached, they grew apprehensive.  Each had a problem they had never before shared with anyone, not even each other. The Groom-to-be, overcoming his fear, decided to ask his father for advice.   "Father," he said, "I am deeply concerned about the success of my marriage."  His father replied, "Don't you love this girl?"   "Oh yes, very much," he said," but you see, I have very smelly feet, and I'm afraid that my fiancé will be put off by them."  "No problem," said dad, "all you have to do is wash your feet as often as possible, and always wear socks, even to bed."   Well, to him this seemed a workable solution. The bride-to-be, overcoming her fear, decided to take her problem up with her mom."  Mom," she said, "When I wake up in the morning my breath is truly awful."  "Honey," her mother consoled, "everyone has

A Veteran's Story

  I noticed Bill sitting in our local park where I walk.   He glanced my way just as I finished the last exercise walk song on my playlist.   He shouted and pointed to my car:   “Hey, is that your car with the Nam front license plate?   I stepped closer into the veranda where Bill sat on a picnic bench.   I noticed his Vietnam Vet cap and instantly I knew why I walked there that day.   The Marine Vet served during the 1960’s, the same time span as my husband.   Bill talked a lot about the war evoking my emotions from laughter to tears.   My South Vietnam front plate often prompts a conversation with a stranger and I’ve learned a deep respect for it over the years.   It is my way of listening to a veteran.   I enjoyed listening to Bill.   He made me laugh in spots but he made me cry as well.   Like when he talked about the sandwich lady.   “Do you ever eat at the sandwich shop in the gas station down the street?”   I replied that I’ve order coffee once in that place with a turke