Skip to main content

Book Review: Homespun Devotions, Volume One

 


How do you read devotional books?  Sometimes I like to start my day with a hot cup of coffee and a short inspiration.  Sometimes I like to end my day propped up on my pillows with a cup of Chamomile Tea and a short story or two to relax.  If my husband stops at the hardware store on our way home, I usually tell him to take his time and I pull out a devotional book that fits nicely in my purse to sit and wait for him at such times.

 

Homespun Devotions, by Cheryl E. Smith, arrived in the mail and I can’t put it down.  I read it as I wind down before bed with tea.  It’s my go to choice for those times of waiting in the parking lot, too.  I've been taking more breaks in the middle of the day to relax so I can read another chapter!   I like stories that touch my heart and help me to reflect on my faith.  Homespun Devotions does that for me every time I pick it up to read.

 

I’m facing a challenge these days.  My raw emotions are a set up for encouragement from such stories of faith.  I feel inspired by this book’s beautiful messages of surrender, of persistence, loving at all costs, and stepping out of a comfort zone to lean on God for stability in the unknown. 

 

The story, Squirming Puppies, taught me how to hold and train a puppy in my hands to teach it how to trust and yield to its owner’s will.  I like the way the author ties it to learning to trust God rather than squirm into one’s own path during those vulnerable times of life.

 

Homespun Devotions is a book chock full of life lessons and written so beautifully, it leaves me feeling full inside as if I just left the café after a nutritious meal with a friend.

 

I highly recommend this book and I think it would make a great gift for a special occasion.

 

You can learn more about the author, Cheryl E. Smith, at her website, Homespun Devotions, where she writes devotionals.   She is the author of the book, Biblical Minimalism:  Following Jesus from a Life of Abundance to a More Abundant Life.  Cheryl likes to spend time with her husband and son in the mountains, sing and play bluegrass music and write.


Comments

  1. Thanks for the book idea!

    It is good to sit a spell, isn't it? Rest, read, and be encouraged. God bless you. Thank you for your comment on my post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book is something I need in my library. I like to start my day with a devotional. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too like to read stories that make me reflect on the spiritual side of things, help me make the right plan and commit to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a moving review, Mary! Because I was cautioned not to drink coffee for 30 min. after taking my medication, I've begun using that time to prop myself up in bed and turn to my daily devotionals -- two very different, but meaningful books. Lifting prayers for the challenges you're experiencing ... God is in the details. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Mary, how very blessed I am by your dear, kind words! May God richly and abundantly bless you, my sweet friend. Sending much love and gratitude to you and to God for the gift of your friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love her book too! I actually read it in just a couple of days. I could not put it down! I plan to do a review on my blog before long and will do one on Amazon too. REAL LIFE, REAL GOD! I plan to read through it again but this time, I will use it as a devotional. But, I couldn't refrain from reading all of it at once when I got it! Love it! Hugs and blessings to you dear Mary. Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is always good to be encouraged in the Lord through testimonies of others, as the scripture says 'They overcame him (the spiritual enemy) by the blood of the Lamb and the word of their testimony.
    God bless you Mary as we all endeavour to encourage one another in these troubling times.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

Prayer Pleeez!

I feel squeamish and thought I should tell you.  A giant stands before me and I’m using my sword, but ask for back-up.  I’m scheduled for surgery, August 25.  My journey begins with a left full knee replacement.  I will have to have the other knee done, later. My neighbors helped me find the best surgeon!  All she does is hips and knees. I’ve completed the pre-op tests, attended the class at the hospital to inform me of what to expect, and started physical therapy.  Before surgery I have to get to an acceptable range of motion.  Let’s just say, I’m not there yet. I am blessed! The PT believes in gentle therapy.  He has a low-key personality with humor.  He will be in my life for a while and I am determined to do whatever he says.  I’m improving already.  He knows his stuff. I can still visualize the surgeon’s finger pointing in my face to get a stationary bike and demanding:  “Get on it every day—take your ...