Skip to main content

Spiritual Sundays ~ Lunch With Al

Ever since Al Slusser was a kid, he has wanted to walk across the United States. He was waiting for five things to materialize: 1) a relationship with the Lord that would be intimate and solid, 2) finances, 3) his feet to be physically ready for the task, 4) total support of his family and 5) fortitude. Last October, 2009, Al felt he was ready. He asked the Lord months before to close the doors if this wasn’t His will. They swung wide open for Al and in October with his feet standing in the Pacific Ocean in San Diego, he began his trek across our great country. He arrived in Maryland reaching his destination just three weeks ago when he touched the Atlantic Ocean. He did it!

Today I enjoyed having lunch with Al and four of my girlfriends. We were uplifted to hear the stories of all the great American families Al met on his long walk. He was able to encourage many people and even lead a lonely man to Jesus Christ. Many were drawn to the cart that Al pushed with a sign on it that spoke of his passion for senior citizens and disabled Americans and veterans. On this sign was also the scripture: “I can do all things through Him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13.” “The Lord was with me every step!” Al exclaimed. We marveled at the kindness of the mayors in each town that Al entered. Some of them put him in four star hotels for the night and purchased his dinner. People were supportive along the route. Americans all across the country befriended him and several families invited him into their homes for the night!


We wondered what the greatest lesson was that Al learned during this adventure. He told us two things: 1) God is faithful and totally trustworthy and 2) American is made up of kind people. Every evening Al would pray these two scripture verses in his nighttime prayers: He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. Ps 91:11 and
I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety. Ps. 4:8

Imagine having a dream of this caliber and depending solely on the Lord to bring it to pass! Al has exciting stories to tell of how God orchestrated this walk and how He protected him from danger. Al speaks enthusiastically to groups at senior citizens homes as well as churches. And yes, he is writing a book! You can learn more about Al’s coast to coast walk at www.c2cw.com .

It did me good on this day of 9-ll to have lunch with Al and my friends. From the time I awoke, the TV as well as bloggers have been commemorating the tragedy that struck our great nation nine years ago. Despite the turbulence that American is going through politically, socially, and economically, it remains the greatest country on the face of the earth. God bless America!

Charlotte and Ginger sponsor Spiritual Sundays. For more inspirational posts, click here.

Comments

  1. What an uplifting post. Praise God!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a story he must have! I want to read that book...

    A true pilgrim, Mr. Al. To walk the breadth of our country and do so with Psalm 91 as his anchor.

    Praying we all dwell in the Most High as we navigate the highways of life!

    peace~elaine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Mary,
    What a wonderful and uplifting post on this day of remembrance! How lovely that you were able to talk to this man! He will have quite a testimony to share. Thank you for sharing and I hope you have a lovely weekend.

    Bessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting journey this man too and how wonderful you were able to hear about it. Thank you for a great inspirational post. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow. what an adventure...I would think most people would be kind and glad he said that was one thing he discovered. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Inspiring story. To have dreams like that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful post and terrific testimony! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - what a story. I plan to check out his website. I think his book would be a very interesting read.

    And yes, Mary in spite of all the troubles here, I wouldn't want to live in another country.

    Blessings,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you got the opportunity to meet that man and hear his stories! Wow, what an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful testimony to God's faithfulness. Patty

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such an encouraging thing to read today. Thank you for sharing Al's story. He is an inspiration to us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's only a tip of the iceberg! He must learn so much endurance but the kind that comes from His sustenance!

    Yes, God bless America! Land of the FREE!

    Love and blessings to you sister.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Mary!

    So blessed and inspired by Al!!! And thank you so much for sharing a portion of his story....the book will be such a blessing to many and I would love to read it!!

    HE IS FAITHFUL!!

    Love and Sweet Blessings!
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful uplifting post. I'm so glad you could meet Al and hear his wonderful stories. This post really made my day. Thank you for sharing it.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lots of lovely new things here, Mary. A new header. A new photo of you. Lovely!

    I love it that the Body of Christ includes feet like this set. God bless Al!

    Hugs,
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is amazing. What a great story and how nice that you know this man.
    God Bless,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your blog looks beautiful! I need to do some changes but the last time I tried I lost it all and now I'm stuck with swirls!!

    This was so good Mary... can you imagine what an adventure this has been for Al?? It needs to be a movie! I'm sure many of those people he met will never forget him.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have wanted to do that ever since Forrest Gump did it. High five to Al!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

Grandparent's Day!

So here it is, the first Sunday after Labor Day or as I refer to it, Grandparent's Day! I arrived in Tucson a week ago.  Twelve year old Amy and excitable Jasper greeted me at the front door.  Smiley Amy looked so happy.  Then she said:  "I'm happy you are here.  Her sister, Susanna, stood next in the greeting line with big hugs.  It's been eight months since I've seen them.  My, they grow so fast. Susanna is a senior this year.  I love hearing about the colleges she visited during summer and the ones she hopes to apply for this fall.  Her mom and I have been watching Downtown Abbey with her, and of course, enjoying late evening tea with the actors in the movie. Amy continues to rock math.  This year, she's been chosen to be her teacher's assistant.  She is very responsible and the one I ask to help at the house when her parents travel.  Amy plays worship music for her dog, Star, who is recovering from Valley Fever.  It wo...