Skip to main content

Last Night's Christmas Service

 



I'm pondering the festive glow of last night's Christmas candlelight service.  The pastor's sermon,  "You Are Why Jesus is the Reason for the Season," encouraged us to embrace the greatest gift of all.

The joyful carolers, excited worshipers and smiling choir filled my love tank to overfull.  New believers lined up for water baptism during praise and worship! I still feel the excitement of the massive congregation  clapping and cheering when these new lifers, one after another, rose from the water.

After church, we took advantage of the cute photo booths on campus.  The church's outdoor cafeteria served us cookies on snowflake napkins to go with our hot chocolate!





Why is this magical service so early in the holiday season?  We all must adjust since Sunday services max out in this place with eager attendees.  The new Thursday evening service fills up the sanctuary as well.  It is exhilarating to witness revival in South Tucson with all these fired-up believers!

The Christmas story of Mary bursting forth with child, no room at the inn, visited by worshipful shepherds brings the Scriptures to life for me at this huge mega church when I think of how they expand their capacity to make sure there's always room for one more.  We enthusiastically worship Jesus here, for indeed, each one of us is the reason Jesus came in this season to save us all.



Merry Christmas, everyone!





Comments

  1. Hi sister Mary! I haven't visited my blog in a while and tonight, I got excited that you posted a new one! How special that gathering was! After all, this special season is about the good Lord. And your grandkids are all grown-ups now! Thank you for sharing that special moment and sharing some pics of your beautiful family. It's good to see you! Merry Christmas and may this coming new year bring you lots of your heart's wishes to come true! Love you in Christ and stay strong in the Lord's mighty power! God bless, strengthen and protect you and your family always. Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas Mary! I was just thinking about you yesterday and I'm thrilled to see your post. You have a lovely family and please tell the young lady wearing the blue skirt if she gets tired of that adorable handbag I will be happy to take it off her hands.😅 I love purses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas, Mary! Thank you for sharing your special evening with us, and I love these images of your beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

Grandparent's Day!

So here it is, the first Sunday after Labor Day or as I refer to it, Grandparent's Day! I arrived in Tucson a week ago.  Twelve year old Amy and excitable Jasper greeted me at the front door.  Smiley Amy looked so happy.  Then she said:  "I'm happy you are here.  Her sister, Susanna, stood next in the greeting line with big hugs.  It's been eight months since I've seen them.  My, they grow so fast. Susanna is a senior this year.  I love hearing about the colleges she visited during summer and the ones she hopes to apply for this fall.  Her mom and I have been watching Downtown Abbey with her, and of course, enjoying late evening tea with the actors in the movie. Amy continues to rock math.  This year, she's been chosen to be her teacher's assistant.  She is very responsible and the one I ask to help at the house when her parents travel.  Amy plays worship music for her dog, Star, who is recovering from Valley Fever.  It wo...